Getting your blood drawn
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:37:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Getting your blood drawn
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Getting your blood drawn  (Read 929 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2014, 12:08:05 AM »

So, thanks to health reasons, I have to get a blood test every month, which horrifies me. The last two times I got blood drawn, I fainted. (Seriously) How many of you have had to go through with this also?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »

I've given blood several times. Going voluntarily isn't that bad, but I presume it is extremely tiring and frustrating when you have to go every month for health reasons.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »

I'm sorry; I'm really squeamish about it, too. Its been a while since I've had a test. To get through it, I kinda just thought of my sister, who has Type I diabetes; its a luxury that I don't have to stick myself multiple times each day as she does.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:13:08 AM »

Ew, I hate it. When I was growing up, my dad was the only person I'd let draw my blood.

And now I have to subject my arms to the butchering of some overweight GED holder who took a six week course in drawing blood and inevitably stabs me multiple times before she finally finds a vein.

Luckily I only have to have it done once a year as part of my regular checkup, unless I'm extremely sick or the situation otherwise calls for it.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:17:37 AM »

I fainted one time - in 7th grade I was so sick and during the course of missing 3 weeks of school I got two different strains of the flu and bronchitis in between them. I don't know medical measurements, but the technician had to take like 3 pints of bloods from me or something (I forget the unit, but even he was surprised by how much it was). There was complete allergy testing in it too in addition to the regular stuff.

My mom went to get the car when I was in the waiting room with one woman in there. I was on the floor almost immediately and had so much rug burn when I regained consciousness. Was in absolute shock that I received no help from either that woman or the technician (who was likely busy but he was in view doing paperwork when I saw - I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of not seeing me on the floor and having no reaction from the other patient).

My family tends to ignore routine blood tests though. Every year it's like "Oh, we never got your results from last year. You need to go." Literally every year.

In general, I don't mind too much, but it's just a pain to take the time and money to do it.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 12:37:09 AM »

I'm sorry; I'm really squeamish about it, too. Its been a while since I've had a test. To get through it, I kinda just thought of my sister, who has Type I diabetes; its a luxury that I don't have to stick myself multiple times each day as she does.
Soo sorry about your sister, that's awful!!
Thankfully, my situation has nothing to do with diabetes.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »

I have to be put into a literal stupor to even be around a syringe, let alone something like getting my blood drawn. Usually I have panic meds for when I get a shot or have to get my blood drawn.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 01:06:29 AM »

God, you guys are not great with needles.  I give blood as many times as I can.  I really hate lying to do it though.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 02:34:37 AM »

Ever since the time I was in the hospital with two broken arms some years ago, I've been far less squeamish about getting my blood drawn when I need to.  Having to have them stick my IV lead into my jugular may have had something to do with that.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 07:33:50 AM »

I used to have very regular blood tests due to a medication I was on. Mind you, as someone who did first aid volunteering for 6 years, I don't have an issue with blood, eventually, i just found the process kind of fascinating.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »

God, you guys are not great with needles.  I give blood as many times as I can.  I really hate lying to do it though.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »

No (normal)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »

Easy. Which is why I'd like to be able to give blood.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 11:16:04 AM »

Also, is it supposed to hurt a but? Because last Friday when I did it, it kinda hurt a bit more than I was expecting. Maybe I was moving my arm too much?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 11:30:01 AM »

I was mortified by it for a while after a nurse did things incorrectly while I was getting tested for hypoglycemia when I was 15 or so.  Burned horribly.

Not anymore though.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »

Needles are my absolute worst fear. I've passed out a few times when getting my blood drawn.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »

I'm gay.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 01:19:34 PM »

I've had more blood tests than Bushie has had undignified binge eating sessions. Probably. Possibly. Anyways, you're all wimps. Man up, etc.

This reminds me: one time I was waiting for a blood test and the man in before me was this cliché hard guy (shaved head, leather jacket, tattoos, etc). He passed out as soon as the needle went in. Haha.

I've also had a blood transfusion (which means I can't donate blood) and a plasma transfusion. The latter feels really cold.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 01:22:17 PM »

I've also had a blood transfusion (which means I can't donate blood)

I have as well....and in 1983 it wasn't the safest time to be getting those.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »

And now I have to subject my arms to the butchering of some overweight GED holder who took a six week course in drawing blood and inevitably stabs me multiple times before she finally finds a vein.

Is there some kind of medication available to treat chronic acute snobbery?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 02:54:14 PM »

I watched as the blood came out.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »

I get my blood drawn a few times a year for health reasons.  I don't mind it. 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »

I used to give blood regularly.  There's a vein in my left arm that phlebotomists coo over.  I've had one literally wave over a friend to come check out my awesome vein.  I don't mind having my blood drawn all that much, to be honest.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »

How many of you have had to go through with this also?

I used to donate to the blood drives.  I like to watch 'em put the needle in.  I'm squeamish about a lot of things, but not about my own blood.  Typically they handed out cookies and sweet drinks and a T-shirt at these blood drives.  A couple of times they gave out grilled meats and beer.  That was weird because most of them tell you not to smoke or consume alcohol for 24 hours.  Yeah, right.  Anyway, one of the local brewers had an annual blood drive and they'd give you all the beer you could choke down in exchange for a pint of blood.  But most places only give you sweet, sugary drinks like juice.  You give a pint of blood, they give you a T-shirt.  It's all good.  Then one time, about 15 years ago, they rejected me.  Bitches.  I was so offended that I never tried donating again.

When I was really hard up I sold blood plasma.  That's sick.  They pump out the blood, centrifuge it, then put the solids back into your arm.  I only did that once.  It paid $35 (that was in the very early 90s) and it was decent money.  Man, that was painful, but that wasn't the worst of it.  The worst of it was the horribly nasty people you see there.  You look around the room at all the meth-heads and snaggletooth, poorly-groomed donors and think, "my god, I'm one of these people now."  It's a rather humbling experience, and one I don't think I'd ever want to repeat.

Anyway, I'd still donate blood if there was a blood drive and a serious need, but I don't think I'll ever sell plasma again.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 08:50:02 PM »

Thanks, Al, I appreciate the plug...

I have to have my blood drawn every six months (late March and late September) as part of my regular check ups.  I'm not near as afraid of the needles as I used to be.  I'm always amazed how fast the appointment goes.  Having Indian Health Care pay for the blood test sure helps.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies