Have you ever been spanked, beaten or otherwise abused ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:22:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever been spanked, beaten or otherwise abused ...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ... in school by a teacher ?
Yes, several times
Yes, one time
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Have you ever been spanked, beaten or otherwise abused ...  (Read 2067 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »

TIL my county doesn't corporal punishment anymore

Adam which GA counties stand out for beating kids especially often?

I didn't really keep track because there are so many for Georgia, but from memory, they're almost all concentrated in South GA. Most of the North GA counties that still do it had either single-digit number of instances over a two-year period, or moderately very few when compared to county populations. You can sort the data in effect per capita by filtering out certain tables that have nothing to do with corporal punishment and then displaying results as percentages I believe (here), but be prepared that the damn tables take forever to remove/filter items out so that you're only left with corporal punishment stats.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 02:03:31 AM »

No, but I had a teacher dropping dictionnaries next to the ears of sleeping students.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 02:08:51 AM »

At home, I was spanked on a few instances when I was like 3-8 years old. It was never allowed at school during my time there. My dad (from NJ), however, was often beat with a belt or broomstick (being serious about the latter) by his parents and occasionally hit on the hands with a ruler at school. My mother (from MN) was not abused at home, but was paddled sometimes at school.

checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 03:48:30 AM »

I thought corporal punishment in schools was long illegal here, but apparently it's still legal in private schools in Queensland. I went to a state school, so it never happened to me, and I've certainly never heard any stories from private schools. Nor did I ever experience corporal punishment at home.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 05:43:53 AM »

OK, so I was working on Oklahoma when the CRDC server crashed. I've been mining its slow ass all night: maybe I'm to blame?

Anyway, here are the results so far. Please, anyone feel free to jump in and help me complete this (or just do Texas, ffs):

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 07:25:37 AM »

Shelby County, TN requires some explanation here. Forever, we had two districts, Memphis City Schools, which was the much larger district, and did not spank, and Shelby County, which was the remainder of the county, and apparently did spank. Anyhow, a couple of years ago Memphis decided that it wasn't worth managing the redundant system, since we are in Shelby County too, and dissolved Memphis City Schools to create a unified Shelby County Schools. All the suburbanites got their feelings hurt by the idea of their children being in the same district (which was then predominantly composed of the old City Schools they had moved to burbs to avoid)  as the ghetto kids, and all six little towns created their own municipal districts. So, whereas until about 2012, Shelby County schools was just the suburban (and a few rural) kids, it's now just the city (and a very few rural) kids. Shelby County Schools is now something very different than what it was just a few years ago.
As for this,
When I was in elementary school, my school district had corporal punishment with a wooden paddle, but parents had to sign a waiver at the beginning of the school year if they wanted their kid to be paddled for misbehavior.
clerical errors do happen. All it takes is one pissed off parent to cost a district an enormous amount of time and money in court. But then again, a lot of these Southern, rural districts aren't run with a lot of foresight, favoring tradition uber alles.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »

Shelby County, TN requires some explanation here. Forever, we had two districts, Memphis City Schools, which was the much larger district, and did not spank, and Shelby County, which was the remainder of the county, and apparently did spank. Anyhow, a couple of years ago Memphis decided that it wasn't worth managing the redundant system, since we are in Shelby County too, and dissolved Memphis City Schools to create a unified Shelby County Schools. All the suburbanites got their feelings hurt by the idea of their children being in the same district (which was then predominantly composed of the old City Schools they had moved to burbs to avoid)  as the ghetto kids, and all six little towns created their own municipal districts. So, whereas until about 2012, Shelby County schools was just the suburban (and a few rural) kids, it's now just the city (and a very few rural) kids. Shelby County Schools is now something very different than what it was just a few years ago.
As for this,
When I was in elementary school, my school district had corporal punishment with a wooden paddle, but parents had to sign a waiver at the beginning of the school year if they wanted their kid to be paddled for misbehavior.
clerical errors do happen. All it takes is one pissed off parent to cost a district an enormous amount of time and money in court. But then again, a lot of these Southern, rural districts aren't run with a lot of foresight, favoring tradition uber alles.

Shelby County as it is shown here, I believe based on your timeframe, would be before the merger, so it would be measuring just the former county district in this assessment.

I should clarify again that this only assesses county public school districts, as the amount of time it would take me to cross-check each city school district to determine which county it belongs in (plus, having to figure out a "third way" of sorts to color-code counties that have mixed policies between city and county school systems) would be exponential.

I ran into some issues with AZ regarding this, as almost all of AZ's school districts are broken down into sub-county districts and cities. A similar trend (but to a lesser extent) appears in Oklahoma; it seems that over half of the counties do not have a precisely-defined school district, but instead have multiple jurisdictions broken down by municipality. Some counties do have countywide school districts, though (the ones currently colored), and I'll work on filling in the rest once the server comes back up. I'm not sure what to do with the counties that a) don't have county jurisdictions and/or b) have multiple jurisdictions within them. OK appears to be a real mixed-bag in terms of corporal punishment, with a lot of cities not using it but a fair number of counties using it. This was similar to the situation in other states I've done thus far that had lots of city districts, but all the rest had a county system for each county.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 08:00:32 AM »

White = ambiguous?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 08:11:07 AM »

White = haven't done them yet. There are also some in OK that I inspected before the site crashed that didn't have a county school district and probably to do those, I'll have to hunt down which differently-named school districts (municipalities) comprise them. I still don't know what to do with areas that may have multiple jurisdictions with different results.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »

Paddled, certainly.  It was (normal) for the time.
same
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »

I was unaware that this was a continuing practice in any region of the United States. Thanks (or no thanks) for proving me wrong yet again, Dixie.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2014, 03:37:57 AM »

The map is finished!
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2014, 04:19:02 AM »

Interesting that all but two of those states voted Republican...

In all seriousness no, fortunately.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies