Abraham on Trial
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:13:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Abraham on Trial
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Abraham on Trial  (Read 1336 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/17/nyregion/at-educational-event-a-modern-legal-interpretation-of-a-biblical-story.html?smid=fb-share
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »

There's good reason the Akedah or Binding of Isaac is so famous and culturally relevant. It's harrowing and even horrifying. Spitzer, of course, has a point that a modern Abraham would be guilty of attempted murder. It's a powerful story because it continues to raise the question "how far would you take your religious commitment?" It directly confronts the reader and doesn't allow any dodging of the question.

It also, of course, sets up as its conclusion the absolute rejection of human sacrifice, a major theological innovation.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:42:45 PM »

There's good reason the Akedah or Binding of Isaac is so famous and culturally relevant. It's harrowing and even horrifying. Spitzer, of course, has a point that a modern Abraham would be guilty of attempted murder. It's a powerful story because it continues to raise the question "how far would you take your religious commitment?" It directly confronts the reader and doesn't allow any dodging of the question.

It also, of course, sets up as its conclusion the absolute rejection of human sacrifice, a major theological innovation.

Hmm...would Abraham be guilty?  I read the article a few days ago so I may have forgotten, did AD argue that even if the modern elements could be satisfied Abraham could be found not guilty by reason of insanity?  I mean, if we believe Abraham that he's hearing the voice of God, I'm sure some of us by definition would think he'd have to be insane, right?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies