NH-Sen: long Hassan wait
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:28:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH-Sen: long Hassan wait
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NH-Sen: long Hassan wait  (Read 4431 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2014, 05:02:11 PM »

Her decision on whether to challenge Ayotte could take up to a year.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »

Spoilers: She doesn't seem like the Washington-type anyway, and has the same situation as Martinez (has a disabled relative she needs to take care of). I'd peg her odds of running at 10%.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:14:27 PM »

NH local politics is a pretty low-key thing... I doubt she'll make the jump the U.S. Senate.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »

Hassan was their best option, but Ayotte is certainly beatable. Their next big get would be Kuster, who is a top level wave survivor.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »

Isn't Ayotte reasonably popular? PPP had her up at 49/32. She seems fairly liked in New Hampshire and was reappointed Attorney General by a Democratic Governor, John Lynch. Given she probably would run ahead of the Republican ticket, she seems one of the safer incumbents facing re-election.

So was Shaheen at this point.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »

If Hillary is winning by 5-7 points in NH then Ayotte is in trouble, a 1-3 point win she probably survives.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »

Even if we don't get Hassan, NH tends to swings with the nation more than the candidate and Ayotte isn't exactly famous so it will depend on the presidential performance.
My guess:
Hassan + Pres. Dem Cand. carries NH = Ayotte loses
Random Dem + Pres. Dem Cand. carries NH by Obama '12 margin = Ayotte loses
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »

Well if Hassan is term-limited, what better does she have to do? If she loses, she's still the sitting governor, so she's still got a job for two years after the election.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 02:52:49 PM »

Gubernatorial terms in New Hampshire last two years, not four. Hassan could opt to run for re-election.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »

^ And also, there aren't term limits for NH Governors.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »

Ayotte is popular, but in a state like NH that doesn't really matter. I don't think Hassan will go for it -- Shea-Porter, actually, I think might. Losing narrowly in NH isn't really a big, career-ending deal (Hassan lost her reelection for state Senate, then ran for Governor and won, for example), and Shea-Porter's been in the House longer than Kuster, and representing the more Republican parts of the state. She's a weak fundraiser but the DSCC could help her, and I think she's still personally popular.

Kuster's not that impressive of a wave survivor -- she faced a pretty bad candidate in the more Democratic of New Hampshire's two districts.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »

Ayotte is popular, but in a state like NH that doesn't really matter. I don't think Hassan will go for it -- Shea-Porter, actually, I think might. Losing narrowly in NH isn't really a big, career-ending deal (Hassan lost her reelection for state Senate, then ran for Governor and won, for example), and Shea-Porter's been in the House longer than Kuster, and representing the more Republican parts of the state. She's a weak fundraiser but the DSCC could help her, and I think she's still personally popular.

Kuster's not that impressive of a wave survivor -- she faced a pretty bad candidate in the more Democratic of New Hampshire's two districts.

I don't know about that.  Marilinda Garcia got quite a lot of hype.  I think it will end up being Kuster who runs.  2016 will be a good test of whether NH has moved permanently left or just liked Obama.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »

Isn't Ayotte reasonably popular? PPP had her up at 49/32. She seems fairly liked in New Hampshire and was reappointed Attorney General by a Democratic Governor, John Lynch. Given she probably would run ahead of the Republican ticket, she seems one of the safer incumbents facing re-election.

Shaheen similarly survived, but that was a wave 2014. I don't expect 2016 to be a wave.

New Hampshire probably reelects Ayotte, if they don't, New Hampshire cements itself as a Lean D state.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 06:28:43 PM »

Shaheen was also running against Scott Brown. I think she would have gone down against a somewhat credible candidate without the carpetbagging baggage.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 08:22:45 PM »

As were Pryor, Landrieu, Hagan, and Udall.
Panda Express

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »

There's no rush. Actually, if Hassan does jump in (and I hope she does), it's probably better to wait as long as possible. She should focus on doing a good job as governor and boosting her credentials.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 08:47:15 PM »

Shaheen was also running against Scott Brown. I think she would have gone down against a somewhat credible candidate without the carpetbagging baggage.

Martha Coakley for NH-Sen!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 05:26:01 PM »

Yes.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »

Yes.

One of the Sununu brothers or some generic state senator (Forrester and Stiles come to mind first) could have definitely taken this seat. Hell, Hassan could have had a competitive race too.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 11:07:38 PM »

Another carpetbagger from Mass wants to run for Senate, this one a Dem Some Dude. Granite Staters, who are likely real Dem candidates? If any.
KCDem

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 11:24:36 PM »

Ayotte is probably toast, move along.

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 12:43:07 AM »

Not from NH, but after Hassan the most named candidates are Ann Kuster, Executive Council member Chris Pappas (Could also run for NH-01), former state securities bureau chief Mark Connolly, State Sen. Donna Soucy, State Sen. Dan Feltes, former State Sen. and 2012 Gov. candidate Jackie Cilley, and Portsmouth City Councilor Stefany Shaheen (Daughter of Jeanne, which would be an interesting Senate duo)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 12:47:41 AM »

Heh? Unless one of the top Dem candidates run (basically Hassan/Lynch/Kuster), this one starts at Likely R.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 12:52:22 AM »

Heh? Unless one of the top Dem candidates run (basically Hassan/Lynch/Kuster), this one starts at Likely R.

So despite the Democratic party actually having a decent foot in the door with a bench, and some decent proven candidates down the ballot, this race is on par with Kentucky or Georgia if Kuster doesn't run.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Leans R.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 01:56:47 PM »

So despite the Democratic party actually having a decent foot in the door with a bench, and some decent proven candidates down the ballot, this race is on par with Kentucky or Georgia if Kuster doesn't run.

Of course it isn't. Kentucky and Georgia are Safe R. Neither will be lost short of some unforeseeable Akin-style meltdown.

Not really unreasonable either.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies