Era of the New Majority
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:18:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Era of the New Majority
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50
Author Topic: Era of the New Majority  (Read 223383 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: August 17, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »

William Jefferson Clinton: August 19, 1946 - October 4, 2028

Two days before the VP debate, the Clinton family releases a statement announcing that the 42nd President of the United States and the first-ever First Gentleman of the United States, Bill Clinton, has passed away in his sleep at the age of 82 after years of heart disease and ailing health. It had been close to a year since either Bill or Hillary were seen at a public function, and they had only left Chappaqua or DC sporadically before that. Both Moulton and Cotton significantly wind down their campaigns, and Cotton releases a statement hailing Clinton as "the finest son of Arkansas." The VP debate, held the same day that Clinton's body is transported to the William J. Clinton Presidential Center for viewing, has a long introduction with a retrospective on Clinton beforehand and Wagner briefly eulogizes the man.

On October 9th, Clinton's body is lain in state in the Capitol Rotunda for twenty-seven hours, and on October 10th a state funeral service is held at Washington National Cathedral. It is the first public appearance by Hillary Clinton, who is ill and wheelchair bound and has a prepared statement read by her daughter US Rep. Chelsea Clinton during Chelsea's eulogy due to her difficulty speaking.

Other eulogists include Barack Obama, Al Gore, Tony Blair, Brian Sandoval, Martin Heinrich, William Cohen, Terry McAuliffe, George W. Bush, and George Stephanopolous.

Clinton's remains are then flown back to Arkansas for a private service at the Clinton Library before his burial on its grounds.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #1151 on: August 17, 2016, 08:02:52 PM »

Say it ain't so Bubba! Great job bringing this into the 2028 election. Can't wait to see elections, what happens in China, North Korea, everywhere!
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1152 on: August 17, 2016, 08:09:08 PM »

RIP Bill Clinton, the best First Lady to walk this Earth. He will be missed.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1153 on: August 17, 2016, 09:16:56 PM »

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1154 on: August 17, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »

October 2028: Clinton's death serves as an October Surprise, throwing Cotton's campaign out of its groove in the midst of a critical month. Despite decent debate performances, though Moulton is seen as superior in both, the polling deficit remains doggedly around 8 to 9 points, indicating an impending Democratic rout. Finger pointing begins in the GOP, with the Cotton camp accusing the President of sabotaging his campaign and the increasingly popular Sandoval responding through surrogates that Cotton has only himself to blame for his poor performance. The RNC starts to triage House candidates in uphill battles against incumbent Democrats and buzz starts to swirl about Moulton's potential Cabinet.

China's recession worsens, threatening to nip the nascent global recovery in the bud in what would be totally typical for this terrible decade of all terrible decades. China's purchase of US Treasuries slows significantly, concerning some about a potential debt crisis in the ensuing years as the national debt nears 30 trillion. Terrorist attacks and riots tear across the country, much of Southeast Asia and India as the pandemic Cambodian flu continues to doggedly refuse to be cured. Nasty quarantine zones are set up, particularly in the poor communities with poor sanitation where the Cambodian flu does its worst work.

And now, for Sports: The St. Louis Cardinals, angling for a second straight World Series title, are defeated in seven games by the Texas Rangers, who earn their first WS title and revenge for their debacle loss in 2011.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1155 on: August 17, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=243735.0

^^ Election '28 will get "election night" style coverage under this link, with a full roundup back on the regular thread afterwards.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #1156 on: October 11, 2016, 07:48:30 AM »

What exactly happened in the Tennessee Senate Race in 2026? I just binged this timeline last night and today (absolutely love it by the way!) so I may have glazed past something, but the last thing I remember is a higher court ordering a stay on anyone taking that seat after a lower court ruled in favor of the Republican. It's 2 years later, is that seat still empty?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1157 on: October 11, 2016, 08:48:41 AM »

What exactly happened in the Tennessee Senate Race in 2026? I just binged this timeline last night and today (absolutely love it by the way!) so I may have glazed past something, but the last thing I remember is a higher court ordering a stay on anyone taking that seat after a lower court ruled in favor of the Republican. It's 2 years later, is that seat still empty?

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you like it!

Yarbro was seated, I'm positive there's gotta be an update in there somewhere (June/Julyish 2027?) where he gets seated. Anyway, Yarbro is the incumbent. Massive upset.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1158 on: October 11, 2016, 09:08:52 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2016, 09:17:55 AM by Spenstar »

Okay! That clears things up. Another question: where do you find the millennials (who are in their early-to-mid 20s now in OTL) to pull for new Dem reps? Did you make some of them up, or pull from staffers and volunteers, and aides, or something else?

Btw, what's been going on in Westchester county (New York) and the districts contained? Is Sean Patrick Maloney still in congress? (sorry about all the questions; I swear they're out of love for your work)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1159 on: October 11, 2016, 11:04:56 AM »

Okay! That clears things up. Another question: where do you find the millennials (who are in their early-to-mid 20s now in OTL) to pull for new Dem reps? Did you make some of them up, or pull from staffers and volunteers, and aides, or something else?

Btw, what's been going on in Westchester county (New York) and the districts contained? Is Sean Patrick Maloney still in congress? (sorry about all the questions; I swear they're out of love for your work)

Haha no need to apologize I love feedback! Better than firing this off into a silent void...

Any name with a (f)after it is fictional - any name with (r) is a real person. I sometimes have to guess on people's ages if they're real. Some real people are culled from current state legs and the like. I'll admit it's getting harder and harder to find real names, but it is what it is.

Maloney is still around. West Chester as I see it would continue to density and diversify, as does the Bronx and Long Island. Would you think that's likely accurate?
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1160 on: October 11, 2016, 11:15:12 AM »

Haha no need to apologize I love feedback! Better than firing this off into a silent void...

Any name with a (f)after it is fictional - any name with (r) is a real person. I sometimes have to guess on people's ages if they're real. Some real people are culled from current state legs and the like. I'll admit it's getting harder and harder to find real names, but it is what it is.

Maloney is still around. West Chester as I see it would continue to density and diversify, as does the Bronx and Long Island. Would you think that's likely accurate?

Oh okay, I'll have to look out for the Fs and the Rs from here on in -- once we get to the 2040s and 50s we could be seeing prominent political stars who aren't even born yet. What I look forward to seeing is if/how the rise of fictional people changes the timeline going forward,

And that's a likely characterisation of Westchester, though not uniformly throughout the county. White Plains and Yonkers might gain population, but my home town of Somers will probably (sadly) stay less dense and more rural. It's 2016 and we don't even have sidewalks yet. Aside from the Elephant Hotel and Mike Kaplowitz, we dont have much to be proud of. I am happy about Maloney though; he represents a typically swing district, but if he survived 2014 then he'd likely survive 2018 and 2022.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1161 on: October 11, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »

Spenstar? As in author of The Quest for Electability Spenstar?
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1162 on: October 11, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2016, 08:28:35 PM by Spenstar »

Spenstar? As in author of The Quest for Electability Spenstar?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes, and I just sent you a PM because I don't want to derail the TL

edit: or at least I think I did? The outbox doesnt have anything but I swear I sent you a thing
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1163 on: October 18, 2016, 12:42:54 PM »

I pulled an all-nighter reading this all, and suffice to say it's magnificent. A slight nit-pick, if you'll have it. You made a fictional (I believe?) former Columbus DA Tom Warble Ohio AG in 2026.

I think you'd be better served going with the OTL Zach Klein. Current City Council President who is running for Franklin County Prosecutor (what is basically Columbus DA). The man is regarded as a top prospect.

But again, great on the whole!
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1164 on: October 19, 2016, 07:59:30 PM »

I pulled an all-nighter reading this all, and suffice to say it's magnificent. A slight nit-pick, if you'll have it. You made a fictional (I believe?) former Columbus DA Tom Warble Ohio AG in 2026.

I think you'd be better served going with the OTL Zach Klein. Current City Council President who is running for Franklin County Prosecutor (what is basically Columbus DA). The man is regarded as a top prospect.

But again, great on the whole!

I am man, therefore I am fallible. I will have ALL the nit-picks. (Seriously, I welcome them).

That sounds like a good idea. I'll go with that.

And thank you, by the way.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1165 on: October 20, 2016, 12:25:10 AM »

I am glad to help! I too would be interested in your books, BTW.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1166 on: October 20, 2016, 04:27:41 PM »

So now that Yarbro's the first Dem in 36 years to hold a seat in TN, what are his approvals like? Has he washed off the negativity from the court case and recount and everything like Franken, or not?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1167 on: October 20, 2016, 07:41:20 PM »

So now that Yarbro's the first Dem in 36 years to hold a seat in TN, what are his approvals like? Has he washed off the negativity from the court case and recount and everything like Franken, or not?

You know it might be too early to say how quickly he's recovered. He'd obviously have to hew VERY Blue Doggish, so probably modest approvals. Tough reelect ahead for the man.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1168 on: October 20, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »

You know it might be too early to say how quickly he's recovered. He'd obviously have to hew VERY Blue Doggish, so probably modest approvals. Tough reelect ahead for the man.

I feel bad for him, hes going to have to go through a lot of crap both from his caucus (esp if he's a pivotal vote) and from his heavily conservative constituents. If it comes down to a couple hundred in 2032 and it goes to court again, I can only imagine how annoyed he'd be
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1169 on: March 28, 2017, 10:06:59 AM »

2028 Roundup

Senate

D+8

AZ: Rep. Ruben Gallego def Sen. Doug Ducey (inc), D GAIN
CA: Sen Eric Garcetti (inc) def State Rep. Jim Taylor, D HOLD
CO: Sen Michael Bennet def State Sen. Owen Roberts, D HOLD
CT: Fmr Gov William Tong def businessman Tripp Ruggins, D HOLD
FL: Rep. Evan Jenne def Sen Marco Rubio (inc), D GAIN
GA: Rep. Eric Stanton def Sen Rob Woodall (inc), D GAIN
HI: Sen Brian Schatz (inc) wins, D HOLD
IL: Sen Cheri Bustos wins (inc), D HOLD
IN: Fmr Rep John Broden def Sen Todd Young (inc), D GAIN
MD: Sen. John Sarbanes wins, D HOLD
MO: Fmr. Sen Jason Kander def. Sen Scott Schaefer (inc), D GAIN
NH: Rep. Matt Woodburn def Sen Chris Sununu (inc), D GAIN
NV: Rep. Ruben Kihuen def Sen. Mark Hutchinson (inc), D GAIN
NY: Rep. Hakeem Jeffries def State Rep. Tim Otterman, D HOLD
NC: State Sen Jeff Jackson def Sen Richard Hudson (inc), D GAIN
OH: Sen Tim Ryan (inc) wins
OR: Sen Brent Barton (inc) wins
PA: Rep Brendan Boyle def Rep Scott Perry, D HOLD
VT: Sen Pat Leahy (inc) wins
WA: Rep Mark Mullet def State Sen Brian Gold, D HOLD
WIL Sen Ron Kind (inc) wins

AL: Sen Martha Roby (Inc) wins, R HOLD
AR: Fmr Gov Tim Griffin wins, R HOLD
AK: Sen Lance Pruitt (inc) wins, R HOLD
ID: Sen Raul Labrador (inc) wins, R HOLD
IA: Sen Pat Grassley (inc) wins, R HOLD
KS: Rep Garrett Love def Generic D, R HOLD
KY: Sen Brett Guthrie (inc) def SecState Adam Edelen, R HOLD
ND: Gov Drew Wrigley def Generic D, R HOLD
OK: Sen Jim Lankford (inc) wins, R HOLD
SC: Sen Tim Scott (inc) def Rep. Joel Lourie, R HOLD
SD: Sen John Thune (inc) wins, R HOLD
UT: Sen Josh Romney (inc) wins, R HOLD
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1170 on: March 28, 2017, 10:12:30 AM »

2026 Roundup

Governors

Democrats:

DE: Mike Willem def Gov Ken Simpler, D GAIN
NH: Colin Van Ostern reelected
VT: Chris Pearson reelected
NC: Don Davis def Gov Pat McHenry, D GAIN
MT: Kendall Van Dyke def Rep. Collin Tejada, D GAIN
WA: AG Bob Ferguson def Gov. Steve Litzow, D GAIN
IN: Mayor Pete Buttigieg def Rep. Susan Brooks, D GAIN

Republicans:

ND: Rep Kevin Cramer elected
WV: Evan Jenkins reelected
UT: Gov Sean Reyes reelected
MO: Gov Eric Greitens reelected

Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1171 on: March 28, 2017, 01:04:06 PM »

Wooow, massive R bloodbath.

Hoping the GOP makes gains next cycle, and goes the "northern strategy" route to try to make inroads in the Midwest/Rust Belt.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1172 on: March 28, 2017, 01:26:03 PM »

Hoping the GOP makes gains next cycle, and goes the "northern strategy" route to try to make inroads in the Midwest/Rust Belt.

Ironically, (spoiler alert) this was going to be the next move in this TL and apparently real life decided to speed up by a decade or so
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1173 on: March 28, 2017, 10:52:09 PM »

Ironically, (spoiler alert) this was going to be the next move in this TL and apparently real life decided to speed up by a decade or so

When you began to write this Timeline, Did you ever predicted the Rise of Trump and Right Wing Populism ?

Because the Timeline you are describing here, would apply if Ted Cruz or some Neoliberal Right Wing Person was the GOP nominee in 2016. But we know that was not the case.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1174 on: March 29, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »

When you began to write this Timeline, Did you ever predicted the Rise of Trump and Right Wing Populism ?

Because the Timeline you are describing here, would apply if Ted Cruz or some Neoliberal Right Wing Person was the GOP nominee in 2016. But we know that was not the case.

I've always had a "Northern Strategy" in mind for the GOP, though i couldn't have predicted we'd see it as early as 2016, or that donald Trump of all people would implement it
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies