Opinion of Reddit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:54:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Reddit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of Reddit
Freedom Site

Horrible Site

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Opinion of Reddit  (Read 1345 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2014, 11:09:55 PM »

It has a lot of really useful and good stuff on it, but on balance it's a HS. r/Ingress is actually pretty boring, mostly noob questions, bragging and whining about bugs and stuff. Some of the math and physics sub-reddits are cool though, and of course the Good Guy Greg/Scumbag Steve/Sudden Clarity Clarence stuff is absolutely classic. But on balance it's way more than cancelled out by the utter crap on it.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:25:56 PM »

True FS, very intellectually stimulating.  This is especially true of /r/Atheism.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 12:38:44 AM »

It is great for when I'm bored or want some info, but I can't stand the people that suck up to eachother to get upvotes (which is a lot of them).
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:48:21 AM »

I like reddit. I spend a decent amount of time on there when I need some recipes or stuff like that, but in terms of politics, it's a total HS. It's basically the left's equivalent of Brietbart.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 06:17:45 AM »

The way I use it makes it a freedom site.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:34:55 AM »

A decent place sadly afflicted by the cancers of libertarianism and MRAs.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »

Like any site, it's neutral if you don't factor in any of the userbase. It has both FF and HS subreddits. I just usually stick to r/skyrim and r/crusaderkings.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »

It has a lot of really useful and good stuff on it, but on balance it's a HS. r/Ingress is actually pretty boring, mostly noob questions, bragging and whining about bugs and stuff. [don't care] Some of the math and physics sub-reddits are cool though, and of course the Good Guy Greg/Scumbag Steve/Sudden Clarity Clarence stuff is absolutely classic. But on balance it's way more than cancelled out by the utter crap on it.
actually can't really disagree too much with this. also the format is annoying. its like an inferior version of tumblr which is really saying something
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:27:14 AM »

also really mixed thoughts about the math/physics stuff they have some interesting stuff there but well you know... too much euphoria/black science guy/insert may may here
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »

Varied. The default subreddits are almost invariably trash (as are basially al the political subreddits of any orientation), but I personally find it very usable and readable (compared to a site like Tumblr which i still have no goddamn idea how to use) and stick to the subs that I like. However, even the average Reddit discussion, awful as it is, is still superior to pretty much any news comments section. Voted FS on balance.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »

Boring.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 04:56:05 PM »

I spend a lot of time there, but it's pretty awful. Terrible right-wing politics, the worst kind of taste in culture, an increasing ratio of mindless drivel to actually interesting content, etc.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 05:09:09 PM »

I spend a lot of time there, but it's pretty awful. Terrible right-wing politics, the worst kind of taste in culture, an increasing ratio of mindless drivel to actually interesting content, etc.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »

FS overall
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 11:03:01 PM »

I like its layout of topical communities and user-ranked submissions. Pretty interesting and democratic.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 11:47:27 PM »

It's almost completely what you make of it. The defaults are awful, but there's some good stuff underneath.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 02:57:03 PM »

The comments in this topic (which is currently the top topic on all of reddit) are an example of why I think the place is a right-wing cesspool.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »

The comments in this topic (which is currently the top topic on all of reddit) are an example of why I think the place is a right-wing cesspool.

r/videos is famous for being a cesspool,  yes. But what you would see in news comments is even worse.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »

r/videos is famous for being a cesspool,  yes. But what you would see in news comments is even worse.

Yeah, it's pretty shocking how right-wing news and videos are. From what I've read they are regularly brigaded by white nationalist sites, though obviously that doesn't explain all of it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 06:03:20 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty shocking how right-wing news and videos are. From what I've read they are regularly brigaded by white nationalist sites, though obviously that doesn't explain all of it.

I was actually referring to news websites' comment sections (Politico and Yahoo News being among the worst offenders), but r/news is obviously also trash. The only default sub worth a damn is the one with cute puppies and kittens.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 06:24:12 PM »

Seems weird.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 02:33:51 AM »

As a whole, Reddit is terrible. The few decent academic subreddits are drowned out by the constant barrage of juvenile garbage.

The only subreddits I check out on a regular basis are r/circlejerk and a few niche subreddits devoted to economics.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »

I haven't really been impressed with any of the subreddits from an intellectual standpoint (on stuff like history, politics, and economics), but a lot of them could be a lot worse. The pop culture subreddits are pretty cool, and a lot of times when I'm Googling something I find a really helpful reddit thread. And the front page is a good timekiller.

Definitely a good site overall, and better than its spiritual predecessor, Digg.
Anonymouse
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2014, 06:29:53 PM by Anonymouse »

Too many recycled maymays and an atmosphere that discourages any kind of unpopular or original opinionmaking (thanks, upvotes/downvotes!)

EDIT: r/nosleep is a great place for scary stories, and it's all original content (although the quality seemed to degrade when it became a default). I'm sure there are some other decent subreddits out there.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies