If a Canadian Federal election was held now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:20:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If a Canadian Federal election was held now
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If a Canadian Federal election was held now  (Read 3783 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2005, 04:15:16 AM »

Didn't Copps leave the Liberals over that messy primary business?
She may be back. YOu never know.
Polkergeist

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2005, 05:09:19 AM »

Does anyone know where I can get Canadian 2004 election results by riding in an excel file. It would make the above analysis much easier Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2005, 02:43:43 PM »

Canadians should be absolutely outraged at the Liberal government and the Liberal Party of Canada, and should send them packing big time. 

As it turns out, the Liberals have been wallowing in squalor and scandal since 1993.  Chretien is a disgrace.  Martin is a pompous windbag who distorts and twists the truth at every turn.

I hope an election is held as soon as possible, and that Canadians will have the sense to elect a Conservative government, and put Harper in charge to clean up this mess.

I believe the Conservatives will win the election.  Canadians have to root out the cause of this scandal and corruption, and that root cause is the Liberal Party of Canada. 

Harper would make a terrible PM. I agree with htmldon, we need Belinda! She has my vote.

Other people who I wouldn't mind seeing as Leader of the Tories are Jim Prentice, Helena Guergis, Peter McKay, Gerald Keddy, or James Moore.

Belinda would deffinately get my vote as long as the Tory candidate in my riding was aqequate- which has been a rarety.

You don't know what kind of a Prime Minister Harper would be because he has never been Prime Minister.  From what I understand, he's quite brilliant.  To be realistic, he is the leader of the only other party who could from a government, therefore, he is at this time the only other choice for Prime Minister.  He's bound to be a vast improvement over sleazebag Martin.

I can get a general idea of what he would be like by what he says. And what he says scares me.  However, I'm only really scared of a Conservative *majority* which isn't going to happen. Having Harper as Prime Minister for a few months won't be the end of the world.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2005, 02:44:55 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get Canadian 2004 election results by riding in an excel file. It would make the above analysis much easier Smiley

This isn't excel, but it may help:

http://esm.ubc.ca/CA06/forecast.php
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2005, 02:45:33 PM »

Just like Mulroney was going to be a vast improvement over that sleazebag Turner? Roll Eyes

Don't get me wrong here; I can't stand Martin and won't cry if he loses power, but I don't see Harper being any better.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2005, 09:52:42 PM »

Just like Mulroney was going to be a vast improvement over that sleazebag Turner? Roll Eyes

Don't get me wrong here; I can't stand Martin and won't cry if he loses power, but I don't see Harper being any better.

I don't think Turner was a sleazebag.  He was just out of his depth as Prime Minister.  Yes, Mulroney was a vast improvement.  He brought in Free Trade, but that's a whole other issue.  And Mulroney was a vast improvement over egomaniac Trudeau.  I'm not saying Mulroney was perfect by any means, but he was better than what preceded him.

That's the opinion of a minority of Canadians.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2005, 09:56:38 PM »

Sure , that's their opinion now, but wasn't Mulroney elected by some absolute majorities back in his day, or were they all coalition govts?

I don't think Turner was a sleazebag.  He was just out of his depth as Prime Minister.  Yes, Mulroney was a vast improvement.  He brought in Free Trade, but that's a whole other issue.  And Mulroney was a vast improvement over egomaniac Trudeau.  I'm not saying Mulroney was perfect by any means, but he was better than what preceded him.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2005, 11:26:57 PM »

Sure , that's their opinion now, but wasn't Mulroney elected by some absolute majorities back in his day, or were they all coalition govts?

I was referring more to the Trudeau part. You will find that most Canadians will say he was the better Prime Minister. It may be an informal poll, but he did finish #3 in the "Greatest Canadian" tv show put on by the CBC. This wasn't what the CBC picked, it was the people who picked them.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2005, 11:32:41 PM »

Canadians should be absolutely outraged at the Liberal government and the Liberal Party of Canada, and should send them packing big time. 

As it turns out, the Liberals have been wallowing in squalor and scandal since 1993.  Chretien is a disgrace.  Martin is a pompous windbag who distorts and twists the truth at every turn.

I hope an election is held as soon as possible, and that Canadians will have the sense to elect a Conservative government, and put Harper in charge to clean up this mess.

I believe the Conservatives will win the election.  Canadians have to root out the cause of this scandal and corruption, and that root cause is the Liberal Party of Canada. 

Harper would make a terrible PM. I agree with htmldon, we need Belinda! She has my vote.

Other people who I wouldn't mind seeing as Leader of the Tories are Jim Prentice, Helena Guergis, Peter McKay, Gerald Keddy, or James Moore.

Belinda would deffinately get my vote as long as the Tory candidate in my riding was aqequate- which has been a rarety.

You don't know what kind of a Prime Minister Harper would be because he has never been Prime Minister.  From what I understand, he's quite brilliant.  To be realistic, he is the leader of the only other party who could from a government, therefore, he is at this time the only other choice for Prime Minister.  He's bound to be a vast improvement over sleazebag Martin.
The existance of the whole Tory Party is supposed to be a scandal as bad as the one everyone is talking about. During the merger negotiations the PC and CA had a vote on whether their parties should merge and Harper told his members to also sign up to the PC Party, knowing that the PC Party itself had some stiff opposition (Red Tories) to the merger. The is a scandal and Harper should not have been leader.
Polkergeist

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2005, 06:56:37 AM »

This isn't excel, but it may help:

http://esm.ubc.ca/CA06/forecast.php

Thanks for the link !
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2005, 10:13:48 PM »

The existance of the whole Tory Party is supposed to be a scandal as bad as the one everyone is talking about. During the merger negotiations the PC and CA had a vote on whether their parties should merge and Harper told his members to also sign up to the PC Party, knowing that the PC Party itself had some stiff opposition (Red Tories) to the merger. The is a scandal and Harper should not have been leader.

The creation and existence of the Conservative Party is hardly a scandal.
To compare the creation or the existence of the Conservative Party to the Liberal sleaze that has been revealed is ludicrous and makes no sense whatsoever. 

I'm not familiar with the behind the scenes machinations of the merger, but that was not involving public money, what, one hundred, two hundred million dollars?  Taxpayer dollars!  It did not involve fraud, kick backs, kick backs to the Liberal Party of Canada, I might add, intimidation, forgery, extortion!  All taxpayer dollars!  How could Chretien have any respect from anybody anymore?  He's disgraceful.  Martin was Finance minister for what, nine, ten years?  He was the number two person in the government, he was the main minister from Quebec!  He didn't know anything about any of this?  That's simply not believable! 

Whether of not Harper should be leader of the Conservative Party is another matter.  The fact is, Harper is the leader of the Conservative Party, and the only alternative to replace the scandal ridden Liberal government!

Ahem, he is not the only alternative. People in Quebec have the Bloc, and 15-20% of Canadians will be voting NDP. Still there are other countless minority parties to chose from.

If you are not familiar with the merger scandal it went like this. Peter McKay was elected PC leader using the support of a David Orchard on the condition that they would not merge with the Canadian Alliance. What did he do? He merged with them.  Backstabbing is right up there with stealing as bad ethics. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2005, 12:59:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The creation and existence of the Conservative Party is hardly a scandal.
To compare the creation or the existence of the Conservative Party to the Liberal sleaze that has been revealed is ludicrous and makes no sense whatsoever. 

I'm not familiar with the behind the scenes machinations of the merger, but that was not involving public money, what, one hundred, two hundred million dollars?  Taxpayer dollars!  It did not involve fraud, kick backs, kick backs to the Liberal Party of Canada, I might add, intimidation, forgery, extortion!  All taxpayer dollars!  How could Chretien have any respect from anybody anymore?  He's disgraceful.  Martin was Finance minister for what, nine, ten years?  He was the number two person in the government, he was the main minister from Quebec!  He didn't know anything about any of this?  That's simply not believable! 

Whether of not Harper should be leader of the Conservative Party is another matter.  The fact is, Harper is the leader of the Conservative Party, and the only alternative to replace the scandal ridden Liberal government!

Ahem, he is not the only alternative. People in Quebec have the Bloc, and 15-20% of Canadians will be voting NDP. Still there are other countless minority parties to chose from.

If you are not familiar with the merger scandal it went like this. Peter McKay was elected PC leader using the support of a David Orchard on the condition that they would not merge with the Canadian Alliance. What did he do? He merged with them.  Backstabbing is right up there with stealing as bad ethics. 

Thank you for enlightning me on the merger.  It hardly rises to the magnitude of ripping off untold millions of dollars of taxpayer money and funelling it back into the Liberal Party of Canada coffers, and into the pockets of friends of the Liberal Party.

What I mean about alternatives is that Harper is the only alternative with any chance of forming a government.  Everyone knows the Bloc Quebecois is not a contender for power, and I don't think too many people think the NDP can win a federal election.   

Minority government maybe, but majority government no. And while I don't agree with them, and I think they are a bunch of nut balls- there are people who think the NDP will win. Surprisingly most of them aren't even supporters of the party.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 03:03:38 PM »

As a liberal I'm happy with the choices Canadians have made in the last few elections. Martin, Blair and Schroeder are the only left wing leaders of major western countries now that I can think of. I feel sorry for Paul Martin for inheriting a scandal.

Do voters in Alberta and Saskatchewan feel disenfranchised since they have so little power, without an electoral college? Alberta seems very different than the rest of Canada.

I've been going to the Globe and Mail website for news occasionally. What is their political affiliation?

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 03:34:31 PM »

More or less Centrist. If you want a lefty paper, try the Toronto Star
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies