Opinion of Bushie's Marian theology (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:01:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Bushie's Marian theology (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Bushie's Marian theology
Freedom Theology

Horrible Theology

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Opinion of Bushie's Marian theology  (Read 1293 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:12 PM »

I'm not comfortable with Catholic Marian theology at all, and even I vote HT for Bushie's extremely childish and oversimplification.

I should point out perhaps my biggest issue with the Immaculate Conception is you can't accept it without accepting that the Original Sin theology applies to everyone else, which I'm not willing to do.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:07:17 PM »

Your Mary fetish is kinda disturbing.  But then its quite typical for Catholics to be smug about their pagan substitute worship.

I suppose you pray to Saints, elevating them to the level of God... Hell,myou probably even light candles to idolatrous images of them in your church.  Cuz God was vague when it came to idol worship...

Now watch the catholics get huffy and indignant and holier than thou.

I say if you're going to be Christian, then stick to the message of Jesus.

That's not a particularly accurate summary of Catholic marian theology or view of the saints, but I agree with the underlying idea.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:34:06 PM »

It's pretty hard to take the portrayal of Mary in the Gospels and then come to the type of conclusions Bushie was saying in the other thread. This is not simply a matter of whether you believe Marian venerations are appropriate or anything like that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:23 AM »

I think Grumps surprisingly actually summed it up best. The issue here is not that Bushie thinks Marian venerations and intercessory prayers are inappropriate, that's a position that he shares with almost all Protestants and honestly even a non-negligible number of Catholics (or "Catholics" as I'd rather say since these are exactly the type of people who should leave.)

However that's not what he said. He said that Mary was basically just some random barely teenage girl who God chose to be a vessel, and that what God did is basically equivalent to if a person today raped and impregnated some woman, but since it's God doing it it's OK. I'd be shocked if you'd find any serious theologian, even a very conservative one of his bent who'd say that.

But as noted Bushie doesn't have a real theology. He basically just buys whatever his pastors tell him. But even then there's times when he doesn't fully understand it and ends up making it sound ridiculous trying to explain it. He's not alone here, I've heard many Catholics make really bad defenses of various aspects of Catholic theology that even the RCC itself and serious Catholic theologians would never advocate. But the fact that his statement is essentially that Mary is really a rape victim, and that we should approve and celebrate that, is quite a bit more offensive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies