Did you like gym class in school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:41:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did you like gym class in school?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Did you like gym class in school?  (Read 3977 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »

Well?
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:47:50 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2014, 07:49:30 PM by RR1997 »

It depends on the activity, but mostly yes (R).

For example I hate running, but playing tennis or basketball is fun.

EDIT: Swimming and volleyball are very fun as well. Forget to mention those.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »

No, especially when it was outside. I have no interest in being cold, it offends my sensibilities.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »

Yes overall for me.  While I've never been very athletic, I was lucky enough to have nice gym teachers.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »

Depends. Tennis and hockey are awesome, basketball can go  itself
Anonymouse
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:08:43 PM »

Loved it, when we played badminton and dodgeball. I didn't mind running, either.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 07:13:14 PM »

no not at all.  i never met a gym 'teacher' that wasnt a total inks.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »

I never took it in high school due to poor health.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »

Depends on the teacher. Basketball coach and girls soccer coach were awesome. Always had fun games. Football coach was a dick and would just call open gym90 percent of the time
retromike22
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 07:24:26 PM »

The only sport I didn't like was basketball. I played like a white midget with no arms.

Badminton, tennis, and soccer were fun.

Football was interesting as well.
GaussLaw
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 07:26:22 PM »

Yes (R). 

I liked swimming, tennis/pickleball, running, pullups/weights/personal fitness, and handball.

Flag football and volleyball, not so much. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »

I voted no as while I didn't hate it, I didn't like it either.  It merely was for me.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »

Somewhat. Voted No (R) on the whole, though. I enjoyed flag football, pickleball, the mile long runs, etc. I hated with a passion the endless weeks of basketball and volleyball, and have hated kickball with a passion since I was in the first grade.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »

I had to vote "no," since the choices were limited, although it largely depended on the activity.

There were days that I lived for in elementary school -- days when we played on scooters, did group activities with a parachute or climbed the rope to the ceiling:

Thinking back on that rope ... I have no idea how that was a mandatory activity. The thin little pads they put under the rope would have only managed the blood splatter had a kid actually tumbled off the thing, given that the gym ceiling was probably 40 feet high. We all survived though.

Then we had a totally uninspired gym teacher in junior high (the husband of the elementary school gym teacher, believe it or not). He made us play variations of sports that he liked -- basketball or golf, mostly.

We swung at wiffle balls with putters and played some stupid basketball game where four teams competed for who could make the most baskets. He always formed some team of the "athletes" -- the seemingly giant 5'8" 13-year-olds who hit puberty before everyone else and actually liked the game. I always got on the team with the two fat girls, the chick with spina bifida and the kid with cerebral palsy. And, I suppose, my athletic ability was similar to theirs.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »

Nope. Unlike most kids, I was interested in learning things at school just for the sake of intellectual curiosity. Gym was a complete waste of time.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »

Gym suuuuuuuuxxxxxxxx.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2014, 10:15:27 PM by Deus Naturae »

Dodgeball was fun even though the coach would sometimes get WAY too into it and I remember he would randomly peg kids in the head from the sidelines. I was average at football and great at soccer, but some kids used soccer as an excuse to stand around doing nothing so the coach rarely let us play. Sometimes when the gym was being used for a play or something we would go lift weights which was pretty cool.

I absolutely hated basketball though. I remember one kid who took it way too seriously and would bitch in the locker room afterward about how "nobody in this gym class takes basketball seriously." He was a gangsta-type jock from some hood in the Bronx.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »

I can see where one might think that.  But actually, breaks in the book learning are needed.  That, more than getting some much needed physical activity is why I think gym ought to be part of the daily routine for every school kid thru at least middle school/junior high.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 08:56:10 PM »

He was a gangsta-type jock from some hood in the Bronx.

hmmmm

Unlike most kids, I was interested in learning things at school just for the sake of intellectual curiosity.

lol.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »

I can see where one might think that.  But actually, breaks in the book learning are needed.  That, more than getting some much needed physical activity is why I think gym ought to be part of the daily routine for every school kid thru at least middle school/junior high.
Recess for elementary kids is great. This is something completely different. Our school day was divided into six periods, so for 1/3 of students, it's either first or last period, and not even a "break." Just an appendage. In schools that do block scheduling, the number rises to 1/2. At least at my school, there was never much physical activity either. Like every other class, activities were planned to hit at about the 25th percentile of achievement student. The first 10 minutes, you had to change into the uniform. Then the teacher had to take roll and note who changed clothes and who didn't, which constituted the entire grade. So, we had maybe half an hour of standing around with some badmitten rackets or doing the Macarena (I went to school in the 1990s)  before it was time to change clothes again. It wasn't like it was mentally scarring or anything, but even a 13 year old knows when you're wasting his time.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 09:39:13 PM »

Recess for elementary kids is great. This is something completely different. Our school day was divided into six periods, so for 1/3 of students, it's either first or last period, and not even a "break." Just an appendage. In schools that do block scheduling, the number rises to 1/2. At least at my school, there was never much physical activity either. Like every other class, activities were planned to hit at about the 25th percentile of achievement student. The first 10 minutes, you had to change into the uniform. Then the teacher had to take roll and note who changed clothes and who didn't, which constituted the entire grade. So, we had maybe half an hour of standing around with some badminton rackets or doing the Macarena (I went to school in the 1990s)  before it was time to change clothes again. It wasn't like it was mentally scarring or anything, but even a 13 year old knows when you're wasting his time.

Granted, block scheduling is a horror and ideally the gym teacher should have eir planning period in either the first or last period of the day to avoid precisely the situation you complained about. (In high school, the gym teacher/football coach had first period as his planning period and in sixth period he had PE II, which was basically a warm up period for jocks who had after school sports to be a part of.)  We had more varied activities than you apparently did and it wasn't geared to the 25th percentile as this was back before the idea of never use a discouraging word to a child had become so prevalent. I was pretty much a straight A student in school, but I usually got a C, C+, or maybe a B in PE, but I earned that grade and wasn't at all resentful of what for me was a low mark.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 09:40:50 PM »

Since graduating high school, I've always thought that gym class would been infinitely more worthwhile if spent on activities actually improving one's physique (cardio if you're fat, lifting otherwise) as opposed to merely dicking around playing stupid games like badminton. Seriously, fuck badminton. I played tennis in high school and was so used to the dynamics of a tennis ball so I would always whiff at that stupid shuttlecock. Just a gigantic waste of time.
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »

I have a mixed opinion, but I voted No (I/O) overall. Gym class during my three years in middle school was crap, because nerdy kids like me were routinely picked on. Though I enjoyed most of the games we played like soccer and dodgeball. I despised mile runs, basketball and football.

In high school I decided to take gym class in the summer before my senior year, since it was short (just 2 hour sessions in June for 20 days). It consisted mostly of just screwing around with water balloons and sprinklers, watching TV shows on the projector, and playing non-athletic indoor games like Pictionary. Pretty based.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »

While I wasn't very athletic until 16 or so, I was always competitive and always had fun.  I like competition.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 02:00:50 AM »

I had to vote "no," since the choices were limited, although it largely depended on the activity.

There were days that I lived for in elementary school -- days when we played on scooters, did group activities with a parachute or climbed the rope to the ceiling:

Thinking back on that rope ... I have no idea how that was a mandatory activity. The thin little pads they put under the rope would have only managed the blood splatter had a kid actually tumbled off the thing, given that the gym ceiling was probably 40 feet high. We all survived though.

Then we had a totally uninspired gym teacher in junior high (the husband of the elementary school gym teacher, believe it or not). He made us play variations of sports that he liked -- basketball or golf, mostly.

We swung at wiffle balls with putters and played some stupid basketball game where four teams competed for who could make the most baskets. He always formed some team of the "athletes" -- the seemingly giant 5'8" 13-year-olds who hit puberty before everyone else and actually liked the game. I always got on the team with the two fat girls, the chick with spina bifida and the kid with cerebral palsy. And, I suppose, my athletic ability was similar to theirs.

Oh god, the nostalgia contained in those pictures...
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies