How fast do you drive on the expressway? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:04:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How fast do you drive on the expressway? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How fast do you drive on the expressway?
At or below the speed limit

0-15 over the speed limit

15-30 over the speed limit

30+ over the speed limit

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: How fast do you drive on the expressway?  (Read 1137 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 18, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »

Depends.  Urban expressways I'll usually go the speed limit. Rural expressways I'll go anywhere from 8 mph under to 4 mph over.  Rural interstates here have a speed limit of 70 mph.  But for fuel economy reasons, I try to go only 100 km/h. (Roughly 62 mph, and I choose that because it usually keeps me from being the same speed as other slower drivers.)  However, if I'm running short on time because I got delayed either before setting out or while driving, I'm willing to go 120 km/h on the rural interstates.  That ability to still make it someplace on time when delayed is another reason for planning on 100 km/h.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »

Depends.  Urban expressways I'll usually go the speed limit. Rural expressways I'll go anywhere from 8 mph under to 4 mph over.  Rural interstates here have a speed limit of 70 mph.  But for fuel economy reasons, I try to go only 100 km/h. (Roughly 62 mph, and I choose that because it usually keeps me from being the same speed as other slower drivers.)  However, if I'm running short on time because I got delayed either before setting out or while driving, I'm willing to go 120 km/h on the rural interstates.  That ability to still make it someplace on time when delayed is another reason for planning on 100 km/h.
You are endangering your life to potentially save $1 in gasoline. Excessively slow drivers (anything below the limit in normal conditions) are such a menace.

Not really.  I'm at the slow end of the bell curve of drivers here, but I'm not well below it and I do regularly pass drivers doing only 60 mph.  The speed limits on the interstates here are by and large the maximum safe speeds anyway. (There is a curve on I-26 at it's junction with I-20 and I-126 that does have regular accidents because of out-of-state drivers who aren't aware of that fact.)   Plus, I'm not an Italian race car driver and I rarely drive late at night, so I'm not a candidate for being rear ended.

Also, keep in mind that South Carolina was not laid out on the square township system common to most of the US west of the Appalachians.  Long straight flat stretches of road are simply not to be found.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:21:47 PM »

I'm at the slow end of the bell curve of drivers here, but I'm not well below it and I do regularly pass drivers doing only 60 mph.
I hope you at least accelerate when you do that so as not to spend 3 minutes passing the guy.  Few things piss me off as much as left lane cruisers.

Most drivers slower than me are on cruise control at 60 or even 55 so my chosen speed means that's rarely a problem and if it is I'll speed up a little to pass, or maybe briefly slow down until I can pass at my usual 100 kph without inconveniencing another driver.  If there's too many drivers, I can't really be on cruise control anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies