What do you think God is?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:59:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What do you think God is?  (Read 1935 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2014, 06:04:05 PM »

God is arbitrary. God is inhumane. God is unknowable.
If God is unknowable, how can you judge whether God is arbitrary?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »

What does whether or not we have a special place in the universe have to do with whether the Divine exists?  I'll admit that one's views on the subject would affect how one perceives the Divine.

Oh, that's the clear implication of what you said.

To be honest, the strongest reason I have for believing in God is my inability to take the leap of faith that we humans have divined enough of the universe to know that we are only a bunch of biochemicals trying to replicate our molecules.

My point is that there's a disconnect between the human perspective and reality.  The fact that humans are here is remarkable from a human perspective has no real bearing on anything.  What you find remarkable is defined by your limited perspective on the universe, which would likely be shared by any living, conscious being.

Exactly.  We have a limited perspective, and it is insufficient to explain life, the universe, and everything.  But that hardly implies that we have a special place in the universe.  Indeed, I would hold that if anything the argument for humanity having a special place in the universe would be stronger, not weaker, if we were self-aware beings in a universe explainable through the use of only immutable physical laws.  However in either case, the argument for having or not having a special place is inconclusive.

So, what don't you understand about what I said? 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2014, 06:15:45 PM »

What does whether or not we have a special place in the universe have to do with whether the Divine exists?  I'll admit that one's views on the subject would affect how one perceives the Divine.

Oh, that's the clear implication of what you said.

To be honest, the strongest reason I have for believing in God is my inability to take the leap of faith that we humans have divined enough of the universe to know that we are only a bunch of biochemicals trying to replicate our molecules.

My point is that there's a disconnect between the human perspective and reality.  The fact that humans are here is remarkable from a human perspective has no real bearing on anything.  What you find remarkable is defined by your limited perspective on the universe, which would likely be shared by any living, conscious being.

Exactly.  We have a limited perspective, and it is insufficient to explain life, the universe, and everything.  But that hardly implies that we have a special place in the universe.  Indeed, I would hold that if anything the argument for humanity having a special place in the universe would be stronger, not weaker, if we were self-aware beings in a universe explainable through the use of only immutable physical laws.  However in either case, the argument for having or not having a special place is inconclusive.

So, what don't you understand about what I said? 

I understood what you said, I just don't agree with your conclusion.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »

God is arbitrary. God is inhumane. God is unknowable.
If God is unknowable, how can you judge whether God is arbitrary?

Unknowable in the personable sense that a lot of Christians in particular profess to know a god.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2014, 07:14:31 PM by wifikitten »

A personal loving God that cares about you and everyone else; omnipresent. I believe God created the world through evolution. God has no gender, not even a form we would consider human. (Raised Lutheran LCMS, probably converting to Episcopalian church when I'm a little older)
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »

A joke! *euphoria intensifies*

If I'm being honest, though, I don't believe there is a sentient Supreme Being, and if there is, He/She/It/They have nothing to do with human affairs.

This is a fairly common view amongst non-religious folks, though I disagree with it. In my view of God, that omnipresence permeates absolutely everything, including every single bit of humanity and its interactions. I think God IS humanity. It IS everything and every possibility, therefore meaning that, in the grand scale of an omniverse, all prayers are answered. That's different, however, from divine intervention. It's simply probability masking itself as divine intervention.
Anonymouse
Rookie
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »

If I'm being honest, though, I don't believe there is a sentient Supreme Being, and if there is, He/She/It/They have nothing to do with human affairs.

This is a fairly common view amongst non-religious folks, though I disagree with it. In my view of God, that omnipresence permeates absolutely everything, including every single bit of humanity and its interactions. I think God IS humanity. It IS everything and every possibility, therefore meaning that, in the grand scale of an omniverse, all prayers are answered. That's different, however, from divine intervention. It's simply probability masking itself as divine intervention.

Hey J-Mann. I'm glad to see one of our best (and underrated!) posters is still active. Smiley

That's an incredible way to view existence, and no I'm not "searching"... but out of curiosity, what would you call this philosophy/religion/what have you?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2014, 09:38:40 PM »

Hey J-Mann. I'm glad to see one of our best (and underrated!) posters is still active. Smiley

That's an incredible way to view existence, and no I'm not "searching"... but out of curiosity, what would you call this philosophy/religion/what have you?

I don't really call it anything. It's just how my mind has carried physics -- known, quantum and theoretical -- forward to an ultimate conclusion. God would be every piece of existence in our universe and every other, and through those infinite existences, it is experiencing everything.

Are you a poster from the "old days" back to join us?
Anonymouse
Rookie
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2014, 09:48:38 PM »

I used to post as "Rob." Long story short, the moderators are aware of my situation and hopefully it will be resolved soon. Smiley

Thank you for the explanation. Smiley
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 10:55:13 AM »

I used to post as "Rob." Long story short, the moderators are aware of my situation and hopefully it will be resolved soon. Smiley

Thank you for the explanation. Smiley

I think I remember .. that's been nearly a decade, though!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies