HI Gubernatorial Election 2014 Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:38:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI Gubernatorial Election 2014 Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: HI Gubernatorial Election 2014 Discussion  (Read 5062 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »

Hawaii will probably go from toss up status to at least a lean D status now. 

I beg to differ. It'll be closer than most Hawaii elections because Aiona is a very strong candidate. But Ige will win by at least 7-10 points in November.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »

Though his actual percentage of the votes wasn't the lowest, Abercrombie's losing margin was the worst of any US Governor ever to lose a primary:

Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2014, 05:25:45 PM »

Though his actual percentage of the votes wasn't the lowest, Abercrombie's losing margin was the worst of any US Governor ever to lose a primary:

Wow.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »

http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/08/hawaii-monitor-mufis-lowball-bet-looking-unlikely-to-pay-off/

Civil Beat has a good article talking about how Mufi Hannemann's Gubentorial campaign is failing and apparently isn't making signs or advertising at all.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2014, 09:46:32 PM »

Abercrombie blames his loss on Republicans crossing over to vote against him in the Dem primary because he signed gay marriage into law.  That's right, twice as many Republicans than the number who actually voted in the Republican primary decided to vote in the Democratic primary instead, and all because of gay marriage.  Seems legit, Neil.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2014, 10:03:12 PM »

Abercrombie blames his loss on Republicans crossing over to vote against him in the Dem primary because he signed gay marriage into law.  That's right, twice as many Republicans than the number who actually voted in the Republican primary decided to vote in the Democratic primary instead, and all because of gay marriage.  Seems legit, Neil.

Soooooo, you vote for the guy who voted for Gay Marriage in the legislature, but against the guy who signed it? Yeah....
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »

Whatever happened to the unity breakfast?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »

Whatever happened to the unity breakfast?

Yeah, I thought Abercrombie threw his full support to Ige, and "respected the people's will" when they threw him out of office.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »

I don't see him reneging on his support for Ige; he's simply complaining that he lost and making up BS reasons for why it happened.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2014, 11:00:45 PM »

I don't see him reneging on his support for Ige; he's simply complaining that he lost and making up BS reasons for why it happened.

Seems like he's kinda demeaning Ige's victory by saying "cause' Republicans voted".

Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2014, 12:26:38 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2014, 12:31:16 AM by Flo »

Seems like he's kinda demeaning Ige's victory by saying "cause' Republicans voted".

Yeah. The point of unity breakfast is to accept defeat, make amends, and eat pancakes. It's pretty ridiculous to think that 80,000 people who vote Republican voted against Abercrombie (who was the weaker candidate).
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2014, 12:35:06 AM »

Yeah. The point of unity breakfast is to accept defeat, make amends, and eat pancakes. It's pretty ridiculous to think that 80,000 people who vote Republican voted against Abercrombie (who was the weaker candidate).

I don't know why they would exactly vote for someone who has the same basic policy positions as Abercrombie. His argument is makes no sense. Talk about grasping at straws.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:07 PM »

Aiona taking a more open approach to SSM than most Republicans:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

On a similar note, Abercrombie is blaming his loss on SSM:

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »

The Hawaii Teamsters & Allied Workers Union, Local 996 is endorsing Mufi Hannemann for Governor:

http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/09/teamsters-backing-hannemann-in-governors-race/
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »

The Sierra Club endorses David Ige for Governor.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2014, 12:05:02 AM »

Civil Beat points out Aiona's association with conservatives as a liability:

This is why Ige is still favored. Its not like Abercrombie supporters are gonna flock to either Aiona or Hanneman, who are more conservative.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2014, 03:00:24 PM »

Abercrombie supporters definitely wouldn't flock to Hanneman, considering what happened in the 2010 primary.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »

But what same-sex couple would ask some jerk like this to officiate their wedding? He flatters himself to think he would even be faced with such a choice.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »

"Governor-elect David Ige on Friday announced the appointment of Mike McCartney as his chief of staff when he assumes office on December 1, 2014. McCartney is currently the president and chief executive officer of the Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA), a position he has held since 2009."

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/27329060/governor-elect-ige-appoints-mike-mccartney-as-chief-of-staff

Good pick, McCartney has a wealth of experience.

Also, would anyone here be opposed to this thread becoming a "Hawaii MegaThread"?

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »

Today is Governor Ige's inauguration; I'll be sharing pictures when it kicks off.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »

Governor Ige being sworn in:

Lieutenant Governor Tsutsui being sworn in:

The Lieutenant Governor giving his Inaugural Speech:

The Governor giving his Inaugural Speech:

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2014, 05:58:30 PM »

Does anyone have any idea what this Ige character believes in?  No one here in Hawaii seems to know anything about him.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »

Does anyone have any idea what this Ige character believes in?  No one here in Hawaii seems to know anything about him.

He's your standard rank and file Democrat. I think he supported Gay Marriage before it became "cool" to do so. He's a budget wonk, often wanting to spend more on social programs than Abercrombie.

Nothing that notable though.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »

He's your standard rank and file Democrat. I think he supported Gay Marriage before it became "cool" to do so. He's a budget wonk, often wanting to spend more on social programs than Abercrombie.

We shall see.  The impression I get from talking to people (many of which are well-connected in the local Democratic party) is that he only won the primary because he wasn't Abercrombie and the general election because of the D next to his name.  No one seems to know anything about him.  I watched some of his tv interviews and he never gives a proper answer to any question (which is rather typical for a Hawaii politician) and he's not particularly articulate either.  I honestly liked Aiona more (for the record I didn't vote this time).
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2014, 06:49:14 PM »

Does anyone have any idea what this Ige character believes in?  No one here in Hawaii seems to know anything about him.

We shall see.  The impression I get from talking to people (many of which are well-connected in the local Democratic party) is that he only won the primary because he wasn't Abercrombie and the general election because of the D next to his name.  No one seems to know anything about him.  I watched some of his tv interviews and he never gives a proper answer to any question (which is rather typical for a Hawaii politician) and he's not particularly articulate either.  I honestly liked Aiona more (for the record I didn't vote this time).

I couldn't agree more on the wait and see opinion you're taking. To be honest, I think that with a lesser candidate, Abercrombie would have won, though.

I lived in Hawaii for about 30 years... Ige was my Senator for 6 of them, he seems nice enough. He's not abrasive like Abercrombie, which will be to his benefit.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies