Dumb and Dumber To
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:17:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Dumb and Dumber To
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dumb and Dumber To  (Read 1137 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »

I just saw this film this week.

Any fans of the original? I know Keystone Phil saw it and thought it was "horrific", I didn't think it lived up to the first one but going in with low expectations it turned out to be funnier than most comedy films these days.

Anybody else see it yet?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:05:08 PM »

To what?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »

EPIC FAIL.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »

Indeed.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »

Jim Carrey has always been awful. The good screwball 1990s movie star was always Adam Sandler.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 03:46:42 PM »

It's been out for a few days and already has made $50 million.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 03:50:18 PM »

Stupid people certainly do enjoy spending their money.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »

It's pretty crazy how well the film is doing. I thought it was going to bomb hard. The trailers just look awful. But I guess there aren't really any other adult comedies in theaters at the moment for it to compete against.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 05:24:33 PM »

The first film was hilarious. But I don't believe it needed a sequel and doubt this is any good.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 08:49:25 PM »

I'm kinda surprised that it wasn't a complete bomb too.

Definitely surprised that it beat Big Hero 6 to win the weekend.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 01:39:09 AM »

Here's my personal review, just highlight to see it:

SPOILERS IN YELLOW:

I am an enormous fan of the first film. When people ask me my favorite comedy film, this one instantly comes to mind. I remember the trailer looked cool and my older sister ordered it off Pay-Per-View in the Summer of 1995. Ever since then, I've seen it too many times to count and it's instantly quotable.

Needless to say, with Hollywood putting out nothing except Stepbrothers/Neighbors-type teenage gross-out humor comedies and constant superhero films and the like...it is a nice breath of nostalgic air to have Harry and Lloyd back on the big screen. Nevertheless, I went in with very low expectations and found myself reasonably satisfied.

The one big thing that bothered me was the "feel" of the comedy. In the first film, there were no doubt some off-the-wall gross-out scenes. But at the same time, it was a very serious thriller with two dimwitted guys who were down on their luck and oblivious to the fact kidnappers wanted them killed. In this film, it felt too much like a Stepbrothers/Anchorman-type of movie (both movies which were funny but in a different way than Dumb and Dumber).

For example, in the first film when the bad guy shoots Jeff Daniel's character, it's treated seriously. The music becomes menacing and Jim Carrey breaks down in tears and says, "You just killed my best friend, you BASTARD!" In this film, when Jeff Daniel's character gets shot (again), Jim Carrey makes a joke about bactine and band aids or something like that. As unbelievable as Dumb and Dumber is...the first film is believable. It is believable to have Lloyd, a dimwit, mistake a ransom briefcase for a girl forgetting her luggage. In this movie, it is not believable to show Harry and Lloyd glowing green after bathing near a nuclear power plant. Now, if they had just showed them bathing and saying, "This water seems a bit dirty", then showed a view of the power plant...THAT is the funny humor of the first film.

Also, this film makes it out to be that they don't know what sex is, when it is made quite clear in the first one that neither guy is a virgin.

Another thing that is missing is a good soundtrack. The songs of the first film became hits among the fans of the film. Only two times in this film do you hear the original score, and I think adding that score into the background of the film would have made it "feel" more like the first.

Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the film. If it keeps making the money it's making, maybe they can make another sequel and have a trilogy that redeems the love of the first.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies