Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:56:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 205025 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: December 01, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »

Bushie is practically atheistic in his behavior.
This is not true at all. An atheist would try (if in an imperfect, human way) to take a reasoned, rational view of things and make decisions based on observable facts. That is not what Bushie does ever.

No. A rational scientific atheist would try take a reasoned, rational view of things. He's an artistic minded type with nothing to live for.
Do you honestly think that's what informs his behavior?

Bushie is a submissive character who believes whatever authority tells him. These people exist regardless of belief system. In an atheist society, he would not be rational or scientific, but would just follow the most charismatic personality cult. That is basically what he is doing here. He's flat out said his conception of Christianity is just to praise Jesus, praise Jesus, praise Jesus--no real ideology around it, all he needs to do is praise Jesus. He's just hot for Jesus the same the way hardcore Stalinists in 1940s Russia thought Joseph was all-knowing and powerful. Jesus might as well be a man. It's atheistic, it's aspiritual. It doesn't ask any questions.

At least in the Catholic Church he'd be following the Pope and get some half-decent advice about how to live.
Blind faith is, by definition, an atheistic viewpoint? That's one of the most absurd points in the distinguished history of the Update.

The complete lack of interest in spiritual development is atheistic.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #626 on: December 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »

Bushy probably worked more hours than I did last week.

But I have a pretty good excuse. And let me just say that as someone who went to work with the pain of a kidney stone, left early only after throwing up at work, and came in on an off day the next week to make up the hours while still somewhat groggy and reeling with the effects of it, I think I've earned the right to mock Bushie every time he has to go home early or not come in because his stomach aches a little or because he has a headache.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #627 on: December 01, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »

I'm guessing you also have paid time off as opposed to career temp Bushie?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #628 on: December 01, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »

That too. Everything I missed I'll get paid for.

But seriously once you've passed a kidney stone you'll stop losing sympathy you ever had for Bushie's tummyaches.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #629 on: December 01, 2014, 05:18:44 PM »

Yes, there's nothing wrong with using well-earned vacation time. The buildup makes it worth the reward. Something non-Lent/Advent people will never understand. Wink
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #630 on: December 01, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »

Well vacation time is preferably spent somewhere other than the ER of Hennepin County Medical Center...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #631 on: December 01, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »

Kidney stones are total hardcore, BRTD.

But I was referring back to Bushie when I said vacation. Sick leave is also imporant. Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #632 on: December 01, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »

Kidney stones destroy your appetite too. Mine still hasn't recovered.

Maybe Bushie needs one. Excruciatingly painful but probably better in the long run for him.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #633 on: December 01, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »

Why do you always forget your meds.........seriously, you're not 6

They were just pain killers that I forgot today, but you're right, I do forget my regular meds a lot.  I am going to start leaving some meds at each place I would stay so I don't run into this problem.

Just in this season you and Papa drove to Tulsa for a medicine run.  That's insane.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #634 on: December 01, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »

I had (I think?) my first kidney stone a couple of weeks ago or so. I woke up and suddenly the onset of pain began; I thought I had slept weirdly. Then it got so intense that I couldn't stand or sit in any position without writhing in agony, and I was even dry-heaving. I felt like I had to constantly pee but nothing was coming out after my first urination. I then chugged a bunch of water. The pain only lasted for an hour and a half though; I noticed a couple of black specks (really tiny) in the toilet right before the pain stopped and then a couple more over the course of the day, but I've had no issues since then. Either it's lying in wait somewhere or it was really tiny and gone. I shudder to think what a huge kidney stone is like. Shocked
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #635 on: December 01, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »

But seriously once you've passed a kidney stone you'll stop losing sympathy you ever had for Bushie's tummyaches.

From what I've heard, you lose sympathy for any sort of pain after a kidney stone. My dad can't adequately rate other pain (ie: "How bad are things on a scale of 1 to 10?") after having several throughout his life. His heart surgery was a 2 ...
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #636 on: December 01, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »

Why do you always forget your meds.........seriously, you're not 6

They were just pain killers that I forgot today, but you're right, I do forget my regular meds a lot.  I am going to start leaving some meds at each place I would stay so I don't run into this problem.

Just in this season you and Papa drove to Tulsa for a medicine run.  That's insane.

Especially considering any pharmacy will dispense you an "emergency" pack of a few pills for instances like that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #637 on: December 01, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »

This thread isn't about BRTD or kidney stones.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #638 on: December 01, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »

Good evening, guys.  I am thoroughly exhausted.  I only slept 3 hours this morning and not very deep sleep at that.  I will probably go to bed before 2100.  My headache is better, but I'm just wiped out.  I'm going to read my Bible and then go to bed pretty quick.  Maybe tomorrow night I will be back to normal and will feel like talking.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #639 on: December 01, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »

Feel better, Bushie! I'm glad you went into work today.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #640 on: December 01, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »

Although, I will say that despite being super, super tired and really not feeling my best, I made it all day with not even a thought of going home.  I am going to bed early to catch up on some sleep.  I've still got 4 more days this week.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #641 on: December 01, 2014, 09:21:23 PM »

Feel better, Bushie! I'm glad you went into work today.

Thanks, Eraser, in all truthfulness, there wasn't even a thought of staying home despite being tired.  I wasn't about to let little sleep win the day.  No sir, I've given in way too much.  I thanked God for the sleep that I did get, because there for a while, I thought I would be completely void of sleep, but then I drifted off to a moderate sleep around 0245 and got 3 hours 15 minutes altogether.  I then asked God to help me get through the day and sure enough he did.  I was busy all day today until my AutoCAD started crashing at 1630 and then it was a relatively easy drive home.  I'll get to bed in a few minutes and get 9 hours of sleep.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #642 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:26 PM »

Did you ever get health insurance?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #643 on: December 01, 2014, 10:02:39 PM »

Did you ever get health insurance?

Yeah, I did after Obamacare.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #644 on: December 01, 2014, 10:40:25 PM »

Can we all celebrate a little victory here? Jeff packed a moderately-healthy lunch and ate it! I think that's worth continuing encouragement.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #645 on: December 01, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »

Can we all celebrate a little victory here? Jeff packed a moderately-healthy lunch and ate it! I think that's worth continuing encouragement.

Go Jeff! I'm glad you went to work today even with the lack of sleep, Bushie six months ago would've stayed home, and I'm glad you're getting better with work.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #646 on: December 01, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »

Go Jeff! I'm glad you went to work today even with the lack of sleep, Bushie six months ago would've stayed home, and I'm glad you're getting better with work.

I know you're tired tonight, Jeff ... probably so tired that you didn't pack a lunch for tomorrow. Don't let that be your misstep! Get one packed in the morning, don't succumb to fast food tomorrow and try to keep this a part of a routine!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #647 on: December 01, 2014, 11:36:42 PM »

Yeah, it's awesome that he's taking a concrete step towards fulfilling his weight loss goals. I hope he sticks with it!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #648 on: December 02, 2014, 12:05:23 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2014, 12:09:38 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

Tonight's Advent song is the Basque carol 'Birjina gaztetto bat zegoen'. It's far better known to most people in its English paraphrase (courtesy of the indefatigable Sabine Baring-Gould) as 'The angel Gabriel from Heaven came', but I believe that the (to most ears) strange and uncanny sound of the Basque language enhances the lilting, otherworldly character of the melody. This song is technically most appropriate for the Annunciation, but by a sort of 'liturgical-temporal collapse' it winds up transferred into Advent more often than not.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #649 on: December 02, 2014, 12:27:01 AM »

^ I don't know what the hell any of that meant, but congrats on making your own turkey wrap, Bushie!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies