Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:19:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 203373 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: November 30, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »

Good Sunday Afternoon.  I am home from a great worship service.  Very insightful.  The message helped to re-confirm my calling to move to Kenya.  I was starting to get down on myself that I wasn't doing what I need to to get there, but then after talking with my best friend at the church, I realize that maybe I am.  I am working right now and Mom and I are very successfully paying off my debt so I can be debt-free when I do go.  I'm still probably 3-4 years away from moving over there, but I'm hoping that sometime in 2018 or 2019 I can move over there for a year or two.  I am not called to go now, but I am called right now to start preparing myself to go over there.  Mom and I just paid off a major bill in October and I am starting to snowball onto another bill.  I am going to sit down with my pastor pretty soon and get his insight into what I need to be doing.

Why is it always you and Mom? I thought your dad was the one who actually works in the family so isn't he basically the one helping you pay those bills?

And please don't ever talk about snowballing bills again. I can only assume that's what happens after the sidejackin' is over.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snowball
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #501 on: November 30, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »

Good Sunday Afternoon.  I am home from a great worship service.  Very insightful.  The message helped to re-confirm my calling to move to Kenya.  I was starting to get down on myself that I wasn't doing what I need to to get there, but then after talking with my best friend at the church, I realize that maybe I am.  I am working right now and Mom and I are very successfully paying off my debt so I can be debt-free when I do go.  I'm still probably 3-4 years away from moving over there, but I'm hoping that sometime in 2018 or 2019 I can move over there for a year or two.  I am not called to go now, but I am called right now to start preparing myself to go over there.  Mom and I just paid off a major bill in October and I am starting to snowball onto another bill.  I am going to sit down with my pastor pretty soon and get his insight into what I need to be doing.

So, we've totally lost interest in weight loss of any kind, right?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #502 on: November 30, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »

Bowling might be a good exercise if he did it 7 days a week. Might.

But he's basically patting himself on the back saying he bowled for 1 hour to cancel out a cheeseburger and has his exercise in for the week.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #503 on: November 30, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »

Next Season:

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #504 on: November 30, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »

I've never said anything like that.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #505 on: November 30, 2014, 05:40:56 PM »

It has completely disappeared from any conversation and, based on your reports of what you have eaten since making that commitment a week ago, you haven't changed a single thing. Not even a commitment on baby steps (ie: not planning, but follow-through). What else should we think?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #506 on: November 30, 2014, 05:41:02 PM »

Advent is also a penitential season, but I doubt Bushie or his church will be giving that much thought.

Advent and Christmas are the same seasons.  By celebrating Advent, we are celebrating Christmas and vice-versa.  It's like Lent and Easter, they are one in the same.  You're right, though, Southern Baptists don't generally celebrate either Advent or Lent.  It doesn't make us wrong.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #507 on: November 30, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »

It has completely disappeared from any conversation and, based on your reports of what you have eaten since making that commitment a week ago, you haven't changed a single thing. Not even a commitment on baby steps (ie: not planning, but follow-through). What else should we think?

People have to realize that since I'm living with someone, there are some changes I cannot make.  I will not be rude and not eat what she gives me.  Hospitality and manners are far more important than losing weight.  That said, I can try to encourage healthy eating.  Grandma usually fixes healthy meals.  Healthy doesn't have to involve stir-fry type dishes.  Meat and vegetables are what she grew up on at the table and is what she passes down to her kids and grandkids.  Roast, ham, and beef and noodle casserole can be healthy.  Mashed potatoes are not outrageously bad.  Green Beans do not have to be fresh.  Canned GB works just as well especially when she doesn't put margarine in them.  Old country, southern cooking is not inherently unhealthy.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #508 on: November 30, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »

Hahah of course Bushie's church would just skip Lent and Advent! Love it.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #509 on: November 30, 2014, 05:53:57 PM »

People have to realize that since I'm living with someone, there are some changes I cannot make.  I will not be rude and not eat what she gives me.  Hospitality and manners are far more important than losing weight.  That said, I can try to encourage healthy eating.  Grandma usually fixes healthy meals.  Healthy doesn't have to involve stir-fry type dishes.  Meat and vegetables are what she grew up on at the table and is what she passes down to her kids and grandkids.  Roast, ham, and beef and noodle casserole can be healthy.  Mashed potatoes are not outrageously bad.  Green Beans do not have to be fresh.  Canned GB works just as well especially when she doesn't put margarine in them.  Old country, southern cooking is not inherently unhealthy.

Realistically, you can't be expected to eat like the granola-munchers around here. That's probably too radical of a change if you're trying to do this on your own. But you are a fool if you can't grow enough of a backbone to say, "Grandma, look -- I love you and so much appreciate everything you're doing for me, but I am well over 100 pounds overweight. I don't eat well most of the time. Can I help plan some dinners that include more lean meats like chicken and turkey and some fresh vegetables? I need to make these changes because my body is a wreck. Will you help me?"

And you probably could knock off the eating out all the time and work in turkey sandwiches and take some veggies in a ziplock bag. Eat regularly and control your portions.

By your response I can already tell you're giving up, because it's "out of my hands."
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #510 on: November 30, 2014, 05:54:34 PM »

Old country, southern cooking is not inherently unhealthy.

yes it is.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #511 on: November 30, 2014, 05:55:54 PM »

None of Bushie's nonsense in that paragraph he typed explains why he's still eating fast food burgers at every opportunity for lunch and dinners outside of the house, where he has complete 100% control over what he eats. He's lazy and stubborn and he's never going to change his diet or exercise.

Let's drop this topic (forever) and move on to Kenya.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #512 on: November 30, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »

People have to realize that since I'm living with someone, there are some changes I cannot make.  I will not be rude and not eat what she gives me.  Hospitality and manners are far more important than losing weight.

Saying, "Hey Mom, if I continue to eat what you make for me, I'm going to be dead in 10 years, tops" isn't being "rude". You're just a big ol' fatty that wants every excuse to shovel food into your mouth like a pig. Admit it.

That said, I can try to encourage healthy eating.

How in the hell are you going to do that while not being "rude" and speaking up for yourself?

Grandma usually fixes healthy meals.  Healthy doesn't have to involve stir-fry type dishes.  Meat and vegetables are what she grew up on at the table and is what she passes down to her kids and grandkids.

No. Your grandmother's generation grew up through the Depression and lived lives of generally hard physical labor. They not only could eat the things they cook, but they needed to in order to stay healthy. You're not a field-hand or a worker that spends 10-12 hours each day busting your butt. You sit on your ass and therefore the food she makes isn't "healthy" for you.  

Roast, ham, and beef and noodle casserole can be healthy.

For you, no, they cannot, because you'll shovel vast amounts of that down your gullet and eat NOTHING ELSE that is needed to go with it to make it healthy (vegetables, lean meat, fruits, etc).

Yes, they are! They're nothing but starch. The nutritional difference between potatoes and a box of Cheez-its is practically zero for you.  

Green Beans do not have to be fresh.  Canned GB works just as well especially when she doesn't put margarine in them.  Old country, southern cooking is not inherently unhealthy.

Yes, they do, and yes, it is. Otherwise, they are loaded with salt and that salt is sooner or later going to cause all the corroded arteries in your swollen body to bust wide open. Canned foods have to be salted, and they inherently taste inferior to fresh products. Why do you insist on being lazy? That's all this is about. You could have healthier and better-tasting variations if you or anyone in your family would learn how to do something other than open a freaking can. "Southern cooking" isn't opening a can of vegetables, lacing them with fat and throwing them in the microwave.

You really are hopeless.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #513 on: November 30, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »

Old country, southern cooking is not inherently unhealthy.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #514 on: November 30, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #515 on: November 30, 2014, 06:04:16 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #516 on: November 30, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »

"Southern cooking" isn't opening a can of vegetables, lacing them with fat and throwing them in the microwave.

This is a good point. As a proud Texan and not-so-proud Southerner, I find Bushie's depiction of our unique and delicious cuisine to be incredibly offensive. Not only are canned green beans not an integral part of Southern cuisine, but they are indeed completely anathema to it. The South is a rich and fertile region, with a bevy of delicious crops. Southern food is all about eating fresh fruits and vegetables, despite Bushie's depictions of it.

That said, it is of course inherently unhealthy. And Bushie's bastardized, canned and meat-heavy (for what is already a meat-heavy cuisine) version is even more so.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #517 on: November 30, 2014, 06:06:24 PM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #518 on: November 30, 2014, 06:12:51 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2014, 06:17:31 PM by Lowly Griff »

"Southern cooking" isn't opening a can of vegetables, lacing them with fat and throwing them in the microwave.

This is a good point. As a proud Texan and not-so-proud Southerner, I find Bushie's depiction of our unique and delicious cuisine to be incredibly offensive. Not only are canned green beans not an integral part of Southern cuisine, but they are indeed completely anathema to it. The South is a rich and fertile region, with a bevy of delicious crops. Southern food is all about eating fresh fruits and vegetables, despite Bushie's depictions of it.

That said, it is of course inherently unhealthy. And Bushie's bastardized, canned and meat-heavy (for what is already a meat-heavy cuisine) version is even more so.

Of course, Bushie is just being deceptive as always. He's trying to cover up his family's complete lack of cooking skills and desire to be lazy by blaming it on our culture. I remember spending lots of time as a child either shucking beans or removing them from their pods before cooking:

Yet, this seems like a completely foreign concept to Bushie. I guess when you look at the fatty map I posted and the relatively fat-free and diabetes-free residents of North Georgia, things like this make sense. As best I can tell, Bushie's "Southern" lifestyle is really but a hybrid of the worst characteristics of "Southern" and "Midwestern" culture, resulting in his horrible lifestyle and poor life choices (served with over-salted vegetables, unhealthy hotdishes, pious superiority and a lack of shame).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #519 on: November 30, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »

We really need to quit hounding him on his eating. The guy isn't going to change because it requires effort, and because his entire family eats garbage all the time, and he knows no different.

The way things are is this: Bushie's grandma cooks and does it all for him and she fixes country cooking much like my grandfather does. A lot of potatoes, fatty meat, butter, fat, etc. Because Bushie is helpless, he can't tell her NOT to cook for him, because what will he eat? Fast food. He may as well eat what she makes him.

Lean meats and vegetables are things no one in his family eats, so why do we expect him to do it? They'd think he was getting sick or worse, that he was a gay, if he dared ask to eat something like we ask him to do. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #520 on: November 30, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »

the causality on those maps has a lot to do with tobacco smoking, and not solely dietary habits.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #521 on: November 30, 2014, 06:57:57 PM »

This nifty calculator proves that you did not burn off jacksh*t when you went bowling.

Assuming you weigh 300 pounds, it would take you an hour of consistent bowling to burn 273 calories.

Or how about you cook your own damn food and let her cook hers. I would tell you to think of her as a roommate but that would imply that you were paying rent or otherwise pulling your weight around there, which you aren't. Granny Bushie can eat whatever the hell she wants. Given her age, she probably had to live through the Depression and the Dust Bowl and spent much of her early life subsisting on beans and bread while her family pulled together to save the dirt farm. Unlike you, I doubt she had the body of a 50 year old at age 32.

If "old country, southern cooking" is so healthy, then why are you and everyone else in the Sooner State so enormous? You don't see a correlation there?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #522 on: November 30, 2014, 07:21:37 PM »

Wow, guys, I did not ask to be lambasted while I was gone to church.  You think I'm hopeless.  You all, except for J-Mann, are hopeless for pointing fingers and viciously assassinating my character.  You'd think I'd learn and stop updating.  Let me ask this:  When I cease updating would you please stop assassinating my character and my family's character?  I do not want to hear a single, solitary word more of this vicious, no-good, lying, un-manlike garbage.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #523 on: November 30, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »

How about this, guys, you know I can't stay away from the update.  How about we just change the subject and leave me to live my life how I please?  I may lose more weight if I don't have birds chirping in my ear all the time criticizing me for every adverse and boneheaded move.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #524 on: November 30, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »

Well, you haven't. Just like you haven't learned to eat better or exercise.

But please, continue to tell us all about all the things you intend to plan on trying to do but not on holidays and not if there's a birthday party for a second cousin and only if God descends from the heavens himself and basically does everything for you.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies