Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:16:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 203321 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: November 30, 2014, 10:21:48 PM »
« edited: November 30, 2014, 10:23:29 PM by memphis »

the causality on those maps has a lot to do with tobacco smoking, and not solely dietary habits.
Tobacco certainly leads to shorter life spans, but nicotine is a stimulant and, therefore, an appetite suppressant. There is no reason why cigarette use should lead people to obesity. If anything, it should do the opposite.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #551 on: November 30, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »

Advent is also a penitential season, but I doubt Bushie or his church will be giving that much thought.

Advent and Christmas are the same seasons.

What? No they're not.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, you shouldn't be because that's not what Advent is there for. It's an entire liturgical season dedicated specifically to the fact that it is not yet Christmas.

...you know what? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

As Ebenezer Scrooge said in the Muppet Christmas Carol - "You keep Christmas in your own way and let me keep it in mine."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #552 on: November 30, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »

"Everything in moderation."

I plead, for the safety of the children, that that not be entered into the Irony Mine.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #553 on: November 30, 2014, 10:30:05 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2014, 10:38:33 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Advent is also a penitential season, but I doubt Bushie or his church will be giving that much thought.

Advent and Christmas are the same seasons.

What? No they're not.

Well, you shouldn't be because that's not what Advent is there for. It's an entire liturgical season dedicated specifically to the fact that it is not yet Christmas.

...you know what? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

As Ebenezer Scrooge said in the Muppet Christmas Carol - "You keep Christmas in your own way and let me keep it in mine."

Bad theology is everyone's problem.

Anyway, I'm going to keep Christmas ADVENT by posting a beautiful, spiritually and aesthetically fulfilling Advent hymn or carol in this thread for every day of Advent I remember to. Starting off: 'Joseph est bien marié' ('Joseph is well-married') by the eighteenth-century French composer Claude Balbastre.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #554 on: November 30, 2014, 10:35:48 PM »

Bushie isn't changing anything, JMann. He likes the taste of mustard over mayo. It's just a random coincidence his lack of self control selects the healthier option for once.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #555 on: November 30, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »

Advent and Christmas are the same seasons.  By celebrating Advent, we are celebrating Christmas and vice-versa.  It's like Lent and Easter, they are one in the same.  You're right, though, Southern Baptists don't generally celebrate either Advent or Lent.  It doesn't make us wrong.

Celebrating Christmas without Advent and Easter without Lent is celebrating the feast without the fast, it's like the Resurrection without the Cross, the birth without the labor, and the victory without the battle. Not to pick on you in particular Bushie since you're far from the only one who sees it this way, but how are we going to build a Christian culture of virtue upon self-denial if we throw out all the parts of Christianity that deal with that?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #556 on: November 30, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »

The fact that Bushie's church ignores the fasts but celebrates the feasts explains a lot (and not just about his people's diet).
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #557 on: November 30, 2014, 11:04:05 PM »

If only people cared about real things as much as they care about the details of their made up superstitions. Sigh...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #558 on: November 30, 2014, 11:05:39 PM »

Advent and Christmas are the same seasons.  By celebrating Advent, we are celebrating Christmas and vice-versa.  It's like Lent and Easter, they are one in the same.  You're right, though, Southern Baptists don't generally celebrate either Advent or Lent.  It doesn't make us wrong.

Celebrating Christmas without Advent and Easter without Lent is celebrating the feast without the fast, it's like the Resurrection without the Cross, the birth without the labor, and the victory without the battle. Not to pick on you in particular Bushie since you're far from the only one who sees it this way, but how are we going to build a Christian culture of virtue upon self-denial if we throw out all the parts of Christianity that deal with that?

What you and Nathan seem to be suggesting is that we shouldn't be listening to Christmas music or celebrating Christmas in any way but for a couple days each year?  That is outrageous, IMO.  It robs Christmas of it's intended joy, festivity, and peace on earth good will toward men.  I believe Christmas is to be celebrated all year long, maybe not with decorations, but the Christmas spirit should stick around all year.  I believe spiritual Christmas music can and should be sung all year long  The secular Christmas music can wait until October.  Furthermore, I see nothing wrong with decorating for Christmas weeks before Halloween.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #559 on: November 30, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »

I see nothing wrong with decorating for Christmas weeks before Halloween.
We know, Bushie. You have made that point exceedingly clear.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #560 on: November 30, 2014, 11:16:13 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2014, 11:19:25 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

What you and Nathan seem to be suggesting is that we shouldn't be listening to Christmas music or celebrating Christmas in any way but for a couple days each year?

Christmas last almost two weeks, Bushie. That's no small amount of time for festivities. You can even make a case from tradition for dragging it out until around the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord if you really want to.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #561 on: November 30, 2014, 11:20:52 PM »

If you're going to eat canned vegetables, at least get the fancy organic kind. Those should still be good for you as long as you don't do anything ridiculous like adding butter to them (which sounds absolutely disgusting anyway).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #562 on: November 30, 2014, 11:23:10 PM »

What you and Nathan seem to be suggesting is that we shouldn't be listening to Christmas music or celebrating Christmas in any way but for a couple days each year?

Christmas last almost two weeks, Bushie. That's no small amount of time for festivities. You can even make a case from tradition for dragging it out until around the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord if you really want to.

That's a pretty short amount of time, in all honesty.  It should last one or two months, not 12 days.  Eh, I'll stick with the Southern Baptist tradition of Christmas all the month of December.  By the time January 1 rolls around, I'm starting to turn my focus toward Easter and Springtime.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #563 on: November 30, 2014, 11:25:17 PM »

That's a pretty short amount of time, in all honesty.  It should last one or two months, not 12 days.  Eh, I'll stick with the Southern Baptist tradition of Christmas all the month of December.  By the time January 1 rolls around, I'm starting to turn my focus toward Easter and Springtime.
Other than shopping and erecting plastic junk from Hobby Lobby, what does one do for the entire month of December?
Panda Express

« Reply #564 on: November 30, 2014, 11:26:32 PM »

christmas season starts the moment you can eat one of those little chocolates on that advent calender thing
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #565 on: November 30, 2014, 11:30:16 PM »

Other than shopping and erecting plastic junk from Hobby Lobby, what does one do for the entire month of December?

Christmas parties, listening to Christmas carols, make preparations for the Christmas Day feast, buy presents for all the kids, but most of all, spend the time worshipping the real reason for the season - Jesus Christ.  Without Him there would be no Christmas and no reason to be happy.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #566 on: November 30, 2014, 11:32:09 PM »

The secular Christmas music can wait until October. 

A motto to live by.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #567 on: December 01, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »

Bushie, this is not 'Nam, this is religion. There are rules.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #568 on: December 01, 2014, 12:07:03 AM »

Christmas parties, listening to Christmas carols, make preparations for the Christmas Day feast, buy presents for all the kids, but most of all, spend the time worshipping the real reason for the season - Jesus Christ.  Without Him there would be no Christmas and no reason to be happy.
You do the Jesus thing all year round. What do you do differently in December? Go to parties, go shopping, and eat a lot? Wait, you do all of those things year round also.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #569 on: December 01, 2014, 12:24:22 AM »

Bushie, this is not 'Nam, this is religion. There are rules.

No there aren't. Anyone can make up whatever rules they want, and as long as they're not hateful or violent or anything, everyone's take is equally valid as the other. This is one of the few times that he's 100% correct when he says there's "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG."
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #570 on: December 01, 2014, 12:36:37 AM »

Like I said, in Bushie's case--this obviously isn't the case for everybody, but in Bushie's case--the rejection of the liturgical year and in particular of the penitential seasons is part and parcel of the same complex of terrible theology that is ruining his life, and by extensions the lives of his loved ones.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #571 on: December 01, 2014, 12:37:40 AM »

That is literally one of the most disturbing things I've read on update.

You live from event to event, like a child (no, child-like wonder is NOT charming in a 32/3? year old man... it's something that requires serious assessment). Maybe if you weren't so fixated on celebrating Christmas (again, read up on the festival of Saturnalia) for six months and wading your way through Easter, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving... note they're all events noted for consumption of copious amounts of bad food. You might, just might, be able to put in the effort to live like a man your age should be.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #572 on: December 01, 2014, 12:58:48 AM »

That's a pretty short amount of time, in all honesty.  It should last one or two months, not 12 days.  Eh, I'll stick with the Southern Baptist tradition of Christmas all the month of December.  By the time January 1 rolls around, I'm starting to turn my focus toward Easter and Springtime.

Again, what a bunch of bullcrap. This is not a "Southern Baptist tradition", and you have NO RIGHT to claim that it is.

This is either something you:

a) have decided is so and want to convince everyone else is normal (forgetting that there are plenty of other, real Southerners on here who are steeped in the culture and who can rebuke your claims of "Southern" culture), or
b) your particularly niche congregation has its own wacky customs that you believe to be mainline, when in fact they are not.

My money is on a) for the most part, considering your fetish with holidays in general. People may put their trees and lights up after Thanksgiving - that is not confined to Southern Baptists or anything particularly to do with faith. Services may mention the coming holiday and have a feast or festival prior to Christmas (so as not to conflict with others' schedules), but Southern Baptists as a whole do not celebrate Christmas "all the month of December".
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #573 on: December 01, 2014, 01:00:43 AM »

the causality on those maps has a lot to do with tobacco smoking, and not solely dietary habits.
Tobacco certainly leads to shorter life spans, but nicotine is a stimulant and, therefore, an appetite suppressant. There is no reason why cigarette use should lead people to obesity. If anything, it should do the opposite.

Nobody becomes overweight from smoking, but I do notice quite a lot of overweight smokers, some of them look morbidly obese.  Thanks to the prevalence of the grotesque pictures (they're on my cigarette packs), I could just imagine losing one foot to diabetes and the other to gangrene.  Sad

I've never really been overweight, though I used to eat very poorly.  Maybe some people become really overweight and retake the habit because they think it'll help them lose weight.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #574 on: December 01, 2014, 01:27:23 AM »

Again, what a bunch of bullcrap. This is not a "Southern Baptist tradition", and you have NO RIGHT to claim that it is.

This is either something you:

a) have decided is so and want to convince everyone else is normal (forgetting that there are plenty of other, real Southerners on here who are steeped in the culture and who can rebuke your claims of "Southern" culture), or
b) your particularly niche congregation has its own wacky customs that you believe to be mainline, when in fact they are not.

My money is on a) for the most part, considering your fetish with holidays in general. People may put their trees and lights up after Thanksgiving - that is not confined to Southern Baptists or anything particularly to do with faith. Services may mention the coming holiday and have a feast or festival prior to Christmas (so as not to conflict with others' schedules), but Southern Baptists as a whole do not celebrate Christmas "all the month of December".

I'm not saying it is exclusively a Southern Baptist tradition or even one started by the SBC.  I'm saying it is a tradition enjoyed by Southern Baptists.  I'm sorry if that was what was taken from my statement.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies