Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:08:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 203369 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: December 01, 2014, 01:30:41 AM »
« edited: December 01, 2014, 01:32:18 AM by King »

Bushie, your Christmas celebration does sound very secular and materialistic, as though the God stuff is just a cover to look good for the neighbors.

You seem to be celebrating the holiday itself more than what it stands for, but it's not your fault, you belong to a community that is that is secular and materialistic and uses God as a cover.

The whole "we're all sinners, nobody can save themselves, believing in Christ is all you need" was definitely a clever 1800s atheist's "I can't openly be irreligious" excuse that got out of hand and turned into a real church.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #576 on: December 01, 2014, 01:34:30 AM »

Bushie, your Christmas celebration does sound very secular and materialistic, as though the God stuff is just a cover to look good for the neighbors.

You seem to be celebrating the holiday itself more than what it stands for.

You must not be looking very hard.  Jesus is the reason for the season.  Christianity is not a cover, it is the heart and soul of why I celebrate Christmas (and Easter) so fervently and for so long.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #577 on: December 01, 2014, 01:40:35 AM »

But you don't seem to celebrate them fervently. You seem to celebrate them rather torpidly, in ways that betray enormous amounts of anomie.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #578 on: December 01, 2014, 04:07:15 AM »

How about this, guys, you know I can't stay away from the update.  How about we just change the subject and leave me to live my life how I please?  I may lose more weight if I don't have birds chirping in my ear all the time criticizing me for every adverse and boneheaded move.

Jeff, actually start with ONE THING. Not a promise. Not a plan. Not an "I'll get around to doing that." Just start DOING. You talk so much about changing your life but never execute.

Can anyone suggest a lunch that Jeff can purchase and pack for himself every day (without suggesting some hipster BS like celery veins and half of an apple shadow ... be realistic) so he can get started?

Here's mine:

Get some whole grain tortilla wraps and TURKEY lunch meat. It's not the greatest for you, but healthier than fast food by a long shot.

Spread a small bit of horseradish on a tortilla (not a lot; don't treat it like mayo). Layer some turkey onto a tortilla along with some lettuce, a light amount of LOW FAT shredded cheese. I'd encourage you to dice in some tomatoes and bell peppers, too.

Roll it all up and cut it in half. Get some baby carrots and celery and take a small amount of low fat ranch dressing to dip them in for your side.

That's easy, not expensive, you'll buy enough to use over and over, and best of all, it's a step in the right direction. TRY IT. Don't give me any toddler BS about not liking something ... you haven't challenged your palette for years, and it will take some time to get used to a new diet.

But TRY IT. You no doubt can get to a grocery store tonight and purchase, for probably less than $15, all of the items required.

Stop with the excuses, Jeff. Some of us actually don't enjoy watching a man kill himself and are trying to pry your finger off the trigger.

You're probably better off channeling all your energy into trying to get him to do gastric bypass surgery. I'm 100% convinced that's the only way he will be alive in the next decade.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #579 on: December 01, 2014, 08:59:38 AM »

I made it to work this morning.  I couldn't fall asleep until almost 0300 this morning.  I'm tired, but I'm here.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #580 on: December 01, 2014, 10:06:40 AM »

This really is freaking me out now.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/grandmothers-folksy-sayings-delay-senility-detecti,6714/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:NA:InFocus
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #581 on: December 01, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

sick rhyme
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #582 on: December 01, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »

Like I said, in Bushie's case--this obviously isn't the case for everybody, but in Bushie's case--the rejection of the liturgical year and in particular of the penitential seasons is part and parcel of the same complex of terrible theology that is ruining his life, and by extensions the lives of his loved ones.
If only Bushie were Catholic (or Episcopal or Whatever) his life would be saved and he would be a totally upstanding person Roll Eyes
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #583 on: December 01, 2014, 11:50:33 AM »

Bushie would undoubtedly be better off if he was in an actually spiritual faith with penance and meditation as a opposed to a "God wants me to feel good all the time" crux.

Bushie is practically atheistic in his behavior. He's a man who sees life as meaningless. He's a man who clings to material pleasure and ego.

Bushie treats God the same way he treats Taco Salad. "My parents are serving it to me so I don't want to be rude and not eat it."
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #584 on: December 01, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »

Like I said, in Bushie's case--this obviously isn't the case for everybody, but in Bushie's case--the rejection of the liturgical year and in particular of the penitential seasons is part and parcel of the same complex of terrible theology that is ruining his life, and by extensions the lives of his loved ones.
If only Bushie were Catholic (or Episcopal or Whatever) his life would be saved and he would be a totally upstanding person Roll Eyes

I have you on ignore now but I clicked 'show' because normally your posts in the Update threads are...tolerable, occasionally even insightful. Imagine my disappointment when this is what I found. Putting it simply: That's not what I said, moron.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #585 on: December 01, 2014, 11:51:52 AM »

Bushie's own religion doesn't even say what Bushie says it says, memphis.  No way does Southern Baptist say Advent and Christmas, and Lent and Easter are the same things.  Nor does it say that of all the women on Earth at the time of Jesus, God chose some lil trampy teen from the poor town of Bethlehem to be the Theotokos.  The literal reading ritual of his religion is interesting as well, since Jesus often spoke in parables, which required the listenter to interpret them in order to understand them, and those interpretations differ to this day.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #586 on: December 01, 2014, 11:52:43 AM »

Imagine how much weight Bushie would lose if he converted to Islam and observed Ramadan.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #587 on: December 01, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »

Personally?  No Nathan.  No it is not.  

In the idea that you religiouses ruin everything?  Yea, sure.  I don't even think "everything" is a stretch.  Talk to me when one of you nutjobs gets their hands on a nuke.  Everything will quite literally be ruined, no?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #588 on: December 01, 2014, 11:56:14 AM »

Bushie's own religion doesn't even say what Bushie says it says, memphis.  No way does Southern Baptist say Advent and Christmas, and Lent and Easter are the same things.  Nor does it say that of all the women on Earth at the time of Jesus, God chose some lil trampy teen from the poor town of Bethlehem to be the Theotokos.  The literal reading ritual of his religion is interesting as well, since Jesus often spoke in parables, which required the listenter to interpret them in order to understand them, and those interpretations differ to this day.

Southern Baptists do not observe Lent and Advent. They don't believe Bushie's tiptoe that they are "one in the same" as Easter and Christmas, though. They take the far more mean-spirited approach (as SBs do with everything) and call both heretical practices of lost children.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #589 on: December 01, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »

Bushie is practically atheistic in his behavior.
This is not true at all. An atheist would try (if in an imperfect, human way) to take a reasoned, rational view of things and make decisions based on observable facts. That is not what Bushie does ever.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #590 on: December 01, 2014, 12:12:53 PM »

1100 am Update:  Month 2 is off to a real good start.  My teammates and I have completed our first project of the day which we started before we left last Wednesday.  We are awaiting our next project.  He took a look at the first drawings and said we were doing really well.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #591 on: December 01, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »

In the idea that you religiouses ruin everything?  Yea, sure.  I don't even think "everything" is a stretch.  Talk to me when one of you nutjobs gets their hands on a nuke.  Everything will quite literally be ruined, no?

Can we please continue the ceasefire we had going a few pages ago? We are (or should be) on basically the same side for Update purposes.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #592 on: December 01, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »

This is not true at all. An atheist would try (if in an imperfect, human way) to take a reasoned, rational view of things and make decisions based on observable facts. That is not what Bushie does ever.

No. A rational scientific atheist would try take a reasoned, rational view of things. He's an artistic minded type with nothing to live for.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #593 on: December 01, 2014, 12:22:36 PM »

Can we please continue the ceasefire we had going a few pages ago? We are (or should be) on basically the same side for Update purposes.

Update is more than Bushie's life.  Update is the internet's premier commentary on America.  I object to calling theology everyone's problem. 

But we can stand pat if you like. 
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #594 on: December 01, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »

Update is more than Bushie's life.  Update is the internet's premier commentary on America.  I object to calling theology everyone's problem. 

But we can stand pat if you like. 

Okay, how's this: Bad theology is every Christian's problem, especially as it relates to the flagrantly immoral and scandalous life of another putative Christian.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #595 on: December 01, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »

No. A rational scientific atheist would try take a reasoned, rational view of things. He's an artistic minded type with nothing to live for.
Do you honestly think that's what informs his behavior?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #596 on: December 01, 2014, 01:06:44 PM »

Lunch time.  We are really starting to ramp up.  We're getting more in depth in what we're doing.  We will start the main work, what we were hired for, either tomorrow or Wednesday.  I'm still tired, but I'm managing it.  Get some lunch and I should be good the rest of the day.  I may turn in early tonight.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #597 on: December 01, 2014, 01:20:17 PM »

I need to eat more vegetables and I will do so.  Maybe not every single meal, but most meals.  As far as exercise, I need to make the time to do it.

Have you made time to exercise, now that Thanksgiving is over?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #598 on: December 01, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2014, 01:34:21 PM by King »

Do you honestly think that's what informs his behavior?

Bushie is a submissive character who believes whatever authority tells him. These people exist regardless of belief system. In an atheist society, he would not be rational or scientific, but would just follow the most charismatic personality cult. That is basically what he is doing here. He's flat out said his conception of Christianity is just to praise Jesus, praise Jesus, praise Jesus--no real ideology around it, all he needs to do is praise Jesus. He's just hot for Jesus the same the way hardcore Stalinists in 1940s Russia thought Joseph was all-knowing and powerful. Jesus might as well be a man. It's atheistic, it's aspiritual. It doesn't ask any questions.

At least in the Catholic Church he'd be following the Pope and get some half-decent advice about how to live.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #599 on: December 01, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »

King, I don't remember saying that my only purpose is to praise Jesus.  It is true, my purpose and the purpose of all Christians is to know God and make Him known.  That's the main purpose.  However, there's so much more to that purpose than just talking a good game.  Perhaps what I meant was in everything I do, my life is to bring God glory and praise.  That's not just singing or talking, but it encompasses every aspect of my life.  I do try to dig deeper into what I believe.  I am a big fan of apologetics.  Perhaps you've heard of it.  It's knowing why we believe what we believe and giving an answer for the hope that we, as Christians, have.  Apologetics is not apologizing.  That point must be made clear.  Christians have no reason to ever apologize for taking the Word of God at it's inerrant and infallible value.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies