Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:07:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 202647 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: December 05, 2014, 10:53:05 PM »
« edited: December 05, 2014, 10:58:22 PM by Bushie remembers Pearl Harbor »

I'll just say one thing - I care about the whole person - physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual.  I never said I didn't care about physical needs.  They are extremely vital.  I'm just saying physical needs shouldn't be where a mission group stops.  People who really love and care for someone will attend to not only their physical needs, but their spiritual needs, as well.  You cannot separate the two.  How can one focus on the Bible and listening to a message or serving when they are hungry and have no idea when or where their next meal is coming from and don't know how to get anything to protect them from the elements.  There is an old saying in Christianity when doing mission work that is so true "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."  That's what Maisha (the Kenyan orphanage I'm involved with) does, they feed the children and the widows, educate them, clothe them, and teach them Jesus.  James 1:27 says, and I paraphrase, true religion is taking care of the widows and orphans and keeping oneself unspotted from the world.  Also, different mission groups have different purposes.  There are many needs in this world, much more than one group can do.  That's why the International Mission Board which is operated by the Southern Baptist Convention has just around 5,000 missionaries world wide.  Different denominations and organizations greatly increase that number.  My cousins are going through the Wycliffe organization which has hundreds, if not thousands, of missionaries of their own and are not affiliated with any Christian denomination.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #851 on: December 05, 2014, 10:59:36 PM »

I never did get a good understanding of what exactly the nature of your work was in Kenya. What did you do there aside from Loving On Children?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #852 on: December 05, 2014, 11:05:38 PM »

I never did get a good understanding of what exactly the nature of your work was in Kenya. What did you do there aside from Loving On Children?

We fed the children and the widows, we volunteered in their education classes, we tutored the children in their math, science, English classes and other subjects as necessary we visited and attended to some needs in the slums, we sponsored them and found them sponsors from America to give them clothing, shoes, school supplies, pay for their tests, pay for them to go to school, and make sure they eat.  We also helped with the administrative side of things, helping the administrators who live and work at the orphanage by taking some burden off them or assisting them in locating children and whatever family they have.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #853 on: December 05, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »

There is an old saying in Christianity when doing mission work that is so true "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."  That's what Maisha (the Kenyan orphanage I'm involved with) does, they feed the children and the widows, educate them, clothe them, and teach them Jesus.

Oh please, sending a toiletry gift basket that your mom paid for every year or so doesn't make you "involved" with it.

For someone who spends as much time at church as you do, I've never once heard you mention doing any kind of community service or good works. No volunteering at food banks or homeless shelters. No raising money for poor people in your own community.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #854 on: December 05, 2014, 11:14:11 PM »

There is an old saying in Christianity when doing mission work that is so true "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."  That's what Maisha (the Kenyan orphanage I'm involved with) does, they feed the children and the widows, educate them, clothe them, and teach them Jesus.

Oh please, sending a toiletry gift basket that your mom paid for every year or so doesn't make you "involved" with it.

For someone who spends as much time at church as you do, I've never once heard you mention doing any kind of community service or good works. No volunteering at food banks or homeless shelters. No raising money for poor people in your own community.

I have visited this Kenyan orphanage twice and I sponsor two children providing them with the things I have mentioned above.  I don't do enough volunteeering, but I am involved with this orphanage.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #855 on: December 05, 2014, 11:24:37 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2014, 11:28:37 PM by J-Mann »

Jeff, I think the disgust comes from knowing that some organizations sacrifice focusing on the immediate and believe that entire cultures will just get better with the gospel. Not all organizations are like that ... but some certainly are. They believe that preaching at a poverty-stricken culture is the ONLY necessity in their evangelism and would just as soon bark religion at a starving child rather than feed him in the now.

Think of it this way: immediate needs versus eternal needs, and you're saying that eternal needs trump "trivial" matters. In much the same way, your colleagues here preached a long-lasting gospel to you: eat better and exercise. But when your back went out, you needed IMMEDIATE relief. It wasn't helpful to preach the healthy gospel to you while you were in pain. You just wanted a new chair.

In much the same way, the poor of the world could use IMMEDIATE relief before they get indoctrinated with a long-term message. Right?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #856 on: December 05, 2014, 11:29:02 PM »

FWIW instead of moving back to Tulsa for no reason, maybe Bushie should look at North Dakota instead. My mom said that the job market in Bismarck now is so hot that you can make $12/hour at McDonald's.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #857 on: December 05, 2014, 11:30:49 PM »

FWIW instead of moving back to Tulsa for no reason, maybe Bushie should look at North Dakota instead. My mom said that the job market in Bismarck now is so hot that you can make $12/hour at McDonald's.

Too cold, too snowy, and too small...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #858 on: December 05, 2014, 11:31:11 PM »

Also, are you suggesting that God speaks to people directly? I'm always the first to condemn religion, but that's less religion than it is schizophrenia. Though those two maladies are, of course, also correlated.

In point of fact, God spoke directly to Bushie back in 2012, and told him to move to Kenya.  Here's Bushie's transcript of the exchange:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=143929.msg3281119#msg3281119

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #859 on: December 05, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »

Yes! I would like to see a season where Bushie takes a stab at becoming an oil man.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #860 on: December 05, 2014, 11:50:54 PM »

We fed the children and the widows, we volunteered in their education classes, we tutored the children in their math, science, English classes and other subjects as necessary we visited and attended to some needs in the slums, we sponsored them and found them sponsors from America to give them clothing, shoes, school supplies, pay for their tests, pay for them to go to school, and make sure they eat.  We also helped with the administrative side of things, helping the administrators who live and work at the orphanage by taking some burden off them or assisting them in locating children and whatever family they have.
Not we. What did you do?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #861 on: December 05, 2014, 11:56:42 PM »

Not we. What did you do?

All of the above
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #862 on: December 06, 2014, 12:02:44 AM »

Guys, what part of "we are not having this discussion tonight" do you refuse to understand?

Mine isn't really a theology question.

The Bible must and will be translated into EVERY language or dialect.  No people group is unimportant to God.

...yes but these 'people groups' also speak common European languages.

So?  Maybe they understand better in their native language??  Also, not everyone speaks a common European language.  For instance, in western Kenya, many do speak English, but many more speak Luo or Swahili and cannot understand or speak English.  God doesn't limit himself to speaking in common languages, rather He likes to speak in every single language.

...okay, you (and politicus) are actually right on this one, I'll concede.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #863 on: December 06, 2014, 01:02:27 AM »

What if God told them to kill a guy though? Then we'd have the right to condemn though, right?

He never contradicts the Bible.  Exodus 20 "Thou shall not kill."  He would never tell anyone to kill another human being.  The only case in which this does not apply is the death penalty.

so many levels of lazy.

1. Drop 50 lbs and then maybe you can think about Braums and spoiling yourself. Dont not try and straight faced tell us that you are trying. 2 days of a turkey wrap isnt a victory. Actually showing up for a week of work isnt either.
2. Way to continually piss away other peoples money on cable and rent.  you made a  phone call...that's not trying
3. You dont even seem to read the one book that you say you study with the above. The Old Testament is filled with God smiting the enemies of the Israelites or giving orders to kill or tacitly approving of what we would call genocide.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #864 on: December 06, 2014, 01:45:05 AM »

Yes! I would like to see a season where Bushie takes a stab at becoming an oil man.

There will be blood...and that blood will be full of cholesterol.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #865 on: December 06, 2014, 02:15:21 AM »

Oh trust me, we all know that.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #866 on: December 06, 2014, 02:58:15 AM »

What if God told them to kill a guy though? Then we'd have the right to condemn though, right?

He never contradicts the Bible.  Exodus 20 "Thou shall not kill."  He would never tell anyone to kill another human being.  The only case in which this does not apply is the death penalty.
Really? Because in the Bible, God tells Abraham to kill Isaac. Also, are you suggesting that God speaks to people directly? I'm always the first to condemn religion, but that's less religion than it is schizophrenia. Though those two maladies are, of course, also correlated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe9uK9QGCUI
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #867 on: December 06, 2014, 05:22:01 AM »

OK after actually thinking about the leasing situation, I just realized this is complete and utter insanity even by Bushie's standards. Let's review:

-Bushie perhaps does have a valid point in that breaking his lease isn't really an option at this point. If he has to give 60 day notice and wait until the apartment is filled, then he can't break it until February, and if the lease ends in March and if the landlord has vacancies already they'll rent first, then he probably won't be free until the end of March anyway. The best option would've been a sublease, but it might be too late for even that too now.
-However Bushie has said his current contract runs until April. In other words, unless he gets fired before then (not unlikely with his track record but not something I know he'd ever consider), there's no chance of him moving back to Tulsa before April.
-Hence if he renews his lease, he'll be doing so with no job in Tulsa (and perhaps even a job in OKC still around or easier to obtain). There's nothing keeping him in Tulsa. Nothing. He only lived there a couple months, has no family, probably few friends, and going to a church picnic once a month isn't a valid enough reason to be paying hundreds, especially since he was part of churches in the OKC area for far longer prior to that.

Essentially the only time renewing the lease would make any sense whatsoever is if Bushie had a job in Tulsa lined up after his current one ends. But he doesn't, it's hard to see how he will, and there's no reason he's more likely to land a job in Tulsa than OKC. The fact that he's even considering renewing his lease is one of the most irrational things I can imagine.

So why is he so intent on returning to Tulsa after this contract and keeping his apartment? Honestly, the only reason I can think of is his cable package...which says volumes if so. As is the fact that he won't even cancel it, keeping discounts for a city he's not going to live in again isn't keeping anything. So Bushie is basically flushing hundreds of his parents' money a month to keep a cable package only watches a couple times a month, and is considering even renewing it to continue it.

Of all the absurd things that have happened in Update, this ranks near the top. Someone please point out if I missed anything because even with what I've seen in Update in the past, I'm having trouble comprehending this.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #868 on: December 06, 2014, 05:34:28 AM »

BRTD, I asked Bushie this very question back in October:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=200654.msg4349650#msg4349650

Me:

His response:

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #869 on: December 06, 2014, 05:46:41 AM »

and that's a pretty flimsy justification to spend hundreds of dollars. Even if Bushie landed a job immediately after moving back to Tulsa, he still spent one month past his lease on rent and his massive cable package. Any rational individual would conclude they could simply stay in the OKC area and get free rent for a couple more months while looking for a job instead of having to pay more of his parents' money to do so an hour and a half away. This doesn't even take into account scenarios such as his current employer offering a new contract or even a permanent positions once this one ends. Even if that doesn't happen if he started looking for a new job a couple weeks before this one ends, he could likely get one, and clearly it's going to be easier to job hunt in the OKC than Tulsa area.

The question posed above was also before he even talked about RENEWING his lease. That's just complete and utter insanity. Al put it as bluntly as possible, but it needs to be repeated over and over. In fact I'd argue renewing his lease might be the dumbest thing Bushie since he quit his job for that scam, and even less understandable.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #870 on: December 06, 2014, 06:02:15 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2014, 11:32:00 AM by Grumps »

Don't these busybody white people have anything better to do than spread their nonsense beliefs to a part of the world with far more pressing concerns?

People's eternal future is far more important than any other temporary problem.

They don't have clean water, good food, good hygiene, no refrigeration, no toilets and running water, a short life span, but your busybody cousins will save their souls so who cares. Roll Eyes
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #871 on: December 06, 2014, 09:42:47 AM »

Really? Because in the Bible, God tells Abraham to kill Isaac. Also, are you suggesting that God speaks to people directly? I'm always the first to condemn religion, but that's less religion than it is schizophrenia. Though those two maladies are, of course, also correlated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe9uK9QGCUI
I'm not pulling this out of my Inks. This is a real thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_schizophrenia
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #872 on: December 06, 2014, 10:32:48 AM »

Bushie, how many orphans living in Darkest Africa could you feed and house with the money that you're spending on rent and premium cable?

That ... is a tremendous point. Jeff, how do you justify that? Not accusatory ... just curious.

#firstworldproblems
#whitepeopleproblems
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #873 on: December 06, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »

Good morning, guys.  I am not going to respond to any of the posts while I was asleep.  I just don't want to.  However, I will say this, my parents and I will have another pow-wow tonight on what to do about the apartment in light of the notice information I was given earlier this week.  We'll talk about what I want to do and weigh that against what should be done.  I will keep you posted on what we discuss.  We may not come to a final decision tonight as the final decision rests solely on me and I don't have to decide right away.

With that, I've got to head back down to Oklahoma City, so I will chat with you gents later.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #874 on: December 06, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »

At least drop the cable package, Jeff. You've indicated that you're (or your family is) paying over $100 a month ... maybe more ... for cable that you're not there to watch (and going back solely to watch it is a double waste because of the money and time spent on driving). There is no disconnect fee for utilities or services like that, nor is there any time-bound commitment.

You surely agree that's a waste of money, right?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies