Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:51:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 203670 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: December 24, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »

Wow! What an early Christmas treat! Not sure which is better: Our Dear Friend's views on the Holy Father or his uncertainty about Moscow's location.

For those concerned that BushOK is watching too many nations celebrate the new year, I guess we can at least rule out him watching The Vatican ring in 2015.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1226 on: December 24, 2014, 08:15:42 AM »

As a fake Catholic, I find Bushie's views on my Pope deeply offensive.

Also the fact that Bushie is waking up hours early to watch a clock on a website turn to midnight ranks in the top 5 weirdest Update things, I think.

I honestly thought he'd be watching a live telecast of some celebration in Kiribati, but no, that would have slightly mitigated the weirdness of this behavior.

Wait...don't one of the cable news networks show some live celebration? I'm now literally in tears and laughing on the train thinking that he is just watching a countdown on a website.
Panda Express

« Reply #1227 on: December 24, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2014, 09:08:59 AM by Vox Populi »

Ah, I remeber the Left Behind books. My super religious aunt and uncle made me read them when I was a little kid. I always ignored all the God stuff (which was a big chunk of the book) and skipped ahead to find out which character got killed off and how.

If I'm remebering correctly, the antichrist from the series was the Russian Prime Minister or something. I remember he came from Eastern Europe.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1228 on: December 24, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »

Ah, I remeber the Left Behind books. My super religious aunt and uncle made me read them when I was a little kid. I always ignored all the God stuff (which was a big chunk of the book) and skipped ahead to find out which character got killed off and how.

If I'm remebering correctly, the antichrist from the series was the Russian Prime Minister or something. I remeber he came from Eastern Europe.
I was working at a bookstore when they were popular. They actually had a kid's version, so that the little ones could enjoy them too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Behind:_The_Kids
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1229 on: December 24, 2014, 10:52:39 AM »

Merry Christmas Eve 2014 to all my Update readers!!  I will post no more in this thread today, and will stop by only to wish you all a Merry Christmas tomorrow.  After the New Year, I'm going back on hiatus.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1230 on: December 24, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2019, 09:38:52 AM by Simfan34 »

...you can't just insult people's religion and waltz off, Bushie.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1231 on: December 24, 2014, 11:22:03 AM »

Does Bushie hate his grandma so much that he wants to leaver her all alone for New Years so he can witness Vorkuta ringing in 2015 live from his bachelor pad in Tulsa?

Also, how does one watch Kiribati's New Year's celebrations (which, presumably, are nothing extraordinary)? Does any normal TV channel in America still cover that kind of stuff? Does Bushie's cable package include Kiribati national TV?

She will be in bed by 1830 or 1900 regardless if I'm there or not.

My "celebration" of Kiritimati (and every other time zone until New York) will be simply watching their clock turn to midnight on the World Clock at www.timeanddate.com.  I can also see the map traverse across the world from east to west all day on New Year's Eve.

Although, I would enjoy seeing all the civilized places and see how each individual culture ring in the New Year starting with New Zealand at 0500 Oklahoma time, then going to Sydney, Guam, Tokyo, Beijing, Bangkok, India, Abu Dhabi, our troops in Afghanistan, my Kenya kids, Israel, the Eiffel Tower in Paris, London, Rio, the peach drop in Atlanta, Chicago, Denver/Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Eskimos, and Maui.

Please seek help from a mental professional immediately/please do not discuss this bizarre activity with friends or relatives or co-workers.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1232 on: December 24, 2014, 11:48:29 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2014, 02:27:03 PM by Keystone Phil »

I want everyone to know that I was laughing so hard about the Kiribati countdown earlier today that someone actually asked me what the hell was so funny as she exited the train.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1233 on: December 24, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »

Does Bushie hate his grandma so much that he wants to leaver her all alone for New Years so he can witness Vorkuta ringing in 2015 live from his bachelor pad in Tulsa?

Also, how does one watch Kiribati's New Year's celebrations (which, presumably, are nothing extraordinary)? Does any normal TV channel in America still cover that kind of stuff? Does Bushie's cable package include Kiribati national TV?

My "celebration" of Kiritimati (and every other time zone until New York) will be simply watching their clock turn to midnight on the World Clock at www.timeanddate.com.  I can also see the map traverse across the world from east to west all day on New Year's Eve.

Although, I would enjoy seeing all the civilized places and see how each individual culture ring in the New Year starting with New Zealand at 0500 Oklahoma time, then going to Sydney, Guam, Tokyo, Beijing, Bangkok, India, Abu Dhabi, our troops in Afghanistan, my Kenya kids, Israel, the Eiffel Tower in Paris, London, Rio, the peach drop in Atlanta, Chicago, Denver/Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Eskimos, and Maui.

"All the civilised places"
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1234 on: December 24, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »

Unbelievable. Our Dear Friend is a gift for the ages. God bless us, every one.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1235 on: December 24, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »

I want everyone to know that I was laughing so hard about the Kiribati countdown earlier today that someone aftuat asked me what the hell was so funny as she exited the train.

I'm surprised that my neighbors didn't hear me laughing. What a wonderful Christmas present from Our Dear Friend!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1236 on: December 24, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »

Unbelievable. Our Dear Friend is a gift for the ages. God bless us, every one.

Amen!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1237 on: December 24, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »

Merry Christmas, Bushie.  I hope it's wonderful.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1238 on: December 24, 2014, 01:28:26 PM »

And details are not what you are going to receive.

Why not, 'Reverend'?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1239 on: December 24, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »

Poor Papa Bushie has to work Christmas Eve so everyone else in ODF's family can sit and watch tv and gorge.  Poor guy is the modern day Bob Cratchet. Cry
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1240 on: December 24, 2014, 01:45:37 PM »

How is he supposed to watch the Dark Continent ring in the new year when they don't even have television cameras with which to broadcast their heathen voodoo dances? Thank goodness his missionary friends are taking on the White Man's Burden so that one day people in Oklahoma may, from the comfort of their trailers, watch Africans ring in the New Year as Jesus intended.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1241 on: December 24, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »

Will probably watch Ryan Seacrest at home until the ball drops, and then go to bed.  Don't know about anything other than that, though.

I still wish Dick Clark were still alive.  He was the show!  Ryan is a good successor, but Dick was one of a kind.
He sure was.

One thing I know for sure is that I won't be drinking, since I'm a teetotaler. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1242 on: December 24, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »

Suspicion: Bushie's shift of focus away from Christmas is due to the fact that nobody is giving him any presents this year since they have realized they spend too much money on him all the time and he never provides or offers anything in return (e.g. he has never bought his parents a Christmas present except possibly at some point with their own money)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1243 on: December 24, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »

Suspicion: Bushie's shift of focus away from Christmas is due to the fact that nobody is giving him any presents this year since they have realized they spend too much money on him all the time and he never provides or offers anything in return (e.g. he has never bought his parents a Christmas present except possibly at some point with their own money)

Sounds like he gets whatever he wants throughout the year anyway. I don't know how many other 32 year olds get their parents to go to Office Depot and buy them a new office chair because the other one couldn't support his weight was bad for his back.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1244 on: December 24, 2014, 06:30:49 PM »

I've been having some angst about my life lately, so reading that part of Bushie's New Year's Eve celebrations is watching a clock on the internet hit midnight so he can "celebrate" with some place on the other side of the world has given me some perspective. Thanks, Bushie!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1245 on: December 24, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »

Bushie's sister-in-law dropping truth bombs all over his facebook wall at the moment. So beautiful. Cry
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1246 on: December 24, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »

If I'm remebering correctly, the antichrist from the series was the Russian Prime Minister or something. I remeber he came from Eastern Europe.
I was working at a bookstore when they were popular. They actually had a kid's version, so that the little ones could enjoy them too.

I was made (well, encouraged) to read those when I was a kid...like when I was 11 or 12 years old. It really ed me up. The basic plot is that a group of kids are the only person in their family "left behind" to experience seven years of hell on earth, all because they didn't buy into their parents theology. That really scared me, so I went and asked to be baptized (my family is Southern Baptist, of course) and spent the next three years or so trying to be a super Christian (and becoming that weird kid in the process).

Moral of the story; don't let your kid read these books.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #1247 on: December 24, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »

Bushie's sister-in-law dropping truth bombs all over his facebook wall at the moment. So beautiful. Cry

What's she saying, if you don't mind my asking.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1248 on: December 24, 2014, 08:37:44 PM »

Any chance you'll practice AutoCAD in between each New Year across the globe?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1249 on: December 24, 2014, 09:09:37 PM »

I was made (well, encouraged) to read those when I was a kid...like when I was 11 or 12 years old. It really ed me up. The basic plot is that a group of kids are the only person in their family "left behind" to experience seven years of hell on earth, all because they didn't buy into their parents theology. That really scared me, so I went and asked to be baptized (my family is Southern Baptist, of course) and spent the next three years or so trying to be a super Christian (and becoming that weird kid in the process).

Moral of the story; don't let your kid read these books.
It's always heartbreaking to hear about the damage that religion does to children. You have my sincerest sympathy, and I thank you for your story of survival.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies