Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:44:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 202637 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: December 27, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »

They are doing a wonderful thing and nobody on the face of this planet can ever deny that.

Yes I can deny it. Snake oil salesmen.

That's your opinion.  But, face it, neither your opinion nor my opinion matters.  All that matters is the opinion of God.  If He endorses it, we can't do or say anything to make it unacceptable.  If He does not endorse it, we can't do or say anything to make it acceptable.  God doesn't need our opinions.  He just calls us to trust Him.  That's exactly what my cousin's are doing and exactly what I'm doing.  They are stepping out in faith to fulfill what's also been a life-long dream for them, which is ministering in Africa.  She was able to go for 10 days with me to Kenya in 2012, now she gets to spend a year or two in Cameroon.  I can't fault them for fulfilling a life-long dream and inviting her family to be apart of the same vision and dream.  It's also exactly what I plan on doing in three to four years from now when I go to spend a year or two in Kisumu, Kenya - trusting Him.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1326 on: December 27, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »

Bushie, does God still literally speak to you?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1327 on: December 27, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »

Why did you get a new laptop?  Didn't Papa buy you a new one when you went to MetroTech? 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1328 on: December 27, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »

He has spoken to me numerous times.  Not audibly, but through visions and dreams and the voice of others who also know and trust Him.  My cousins' do the same thing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1329 on: December 27, 2014, 03:33:51 PM »

What do you mean by "visions"?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1330 on: December 27, 2014, 03:36:26 PM »

Why did you get a new laptop?  Didn't Papa buy you a new one when you went to MetroTech? 

The one we got is a stationary desktop computer.  Touch screen desktop, but still not portable.  I wanted a new one that I could lug around with me pretty easily.  I will use both computers extensively.  In short, I just wanted one.

Not everything has to make financial sense.  You don't really have to question every decision I make.  Nor do you have to bring my Facebook to the forum.  I've let it slide, but it's still rather unethical.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1331 on: December 27, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »

Visions/dreams, same thing.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1332 on: December 27, 2014, 03:50:36 PM »

You don't really have to question every decision I make.

But given that they are without exception the wrong ones, I disagree.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1333 on: December 27, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »

Well, why not? Christianity is on its way to be wiped out in the Middle East outside of Lebanon and Egypt. Time to fight back.

And despite the grotesque absence of female posters on the forum, quintessential HP Politicus again demonstrates why her disappearing tomorrow would be a boon for Atlas.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1334 on: December 27, 2014, 04:06:43 PM »

I have a question for the 'Reverend' Bushie. What lessons can be drawn from the kingship of Hezekiah?

Hezekiah was a godly king.  He feared God and brought the nation of Judah back to worshipping God.  His faith was spot on.  However, he was careless with Judah's money.

And what lessons can you--not President Obama, not your good buddy Senator-elect Lankford, you--draw from that?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1335 on: December 27, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »

I guess I'm just curious if these visions/dreams exclusively happen while you're asleep, or while you're awake as well.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1336 on: December 27, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »

I guess I'm just curious if these visions/dreams exclusively happen while you're asleep, or while you're awake as well.

Whenever God speaks.  Could be while awake, could be while sleeping.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1337 on: December 27, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »

What good is having religion if you can't force it on other people?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1338 on: December 27, 2014, 04:39:33 PM »

I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by God "speaking." As someone who God does not speak to, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Do you hear a disembodied voice saying words to you? Do you see Him?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1339 on: December 27, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »

Bushie, you don't see a correlation between constantly thinking about God and then subsequently dreaming about him? 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1340 on: December 27, 2014, 04:54:53 PM »

The one we got is a stationary desktop computer.  Touch screen desktop, but still not portable.  I wanted a new one that I could lug around with me pretty easily.  I will use both computers extensively.  In short, I just wanted one.

Not everything has to make financial sense.  You don't really have to question every decision I make.  Nor do you have to bring my Facebook to the forum.  I've let it slide, but it's still rather unethical.

No, but when you're an adult, some things must make financial sense. And nothing in your life makes any financial sense.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1341 on: December 27, 2014, 05:05:27 PM »

I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by God "speaking." As someone who God does not speak to, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Do you hear a disembodied voice saying words to you? Do you see Him?

It is very hard to describe, so I'll do the best I can.  It can come in many forms, either an undeniable feeling, or a thought that just won't leave your mind, or the words or advice of a trusted friend or family member.  It is not God Himself who speaks as I speak to another person, although He reserves the right to do that.  Since it's not necessarily first-person audible, we have to match up what we hear with the Bible.  God will never go against the Bible, because He authored the Bible.  If the Bible condemns it in any way, throw it out.  If the Bible does not condemn it, it is a good bet that it probably came from God.  That's what I have done everytime.  Now, I will admit, sometimes I misread a couple things and ended up eating my words, but for the most part, I am careful to match up what I hear, feel, or think with the Bible to make sure it is not my flesh talking.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1342 on: December 27, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »

He has spoken to me numerous times.  Not audibly, but through visions and dreams and the voice of others who also know and trust Him.  My cousins' do the same thing.

Oh dear....
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1343 on: December 27, 2014, 05:25:25 PM »

The last two pages have been especially dark and frightening yet amusing
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1344 on: December 27, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »

While I sympathize with Bushie's dream to spread his religious beliefs, he has it all wrong.

I know God too, and God is a beautiful woman who is vengeful, funny and loves to teach me lessons whenever she feels like it. I live to entertain her.

When God wants to be known, she will introduce herself to you, and it will be a way you can't ignore even if you want to ignore God. She's ride you until you finally give it up.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1345 on: December 27, 2014, 06:19:33 PM »

The AV Club would give this episode an A for sure.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1346 on: December 27, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »

Bushie, what do you think will happen in seven years?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1347 on: December 27, 2014, 07:43:49 PM »

Hezekiah was a godly king.  He feared God and brought the nation of Judah back to worshipping God.  His faith was spot on.  However, he was careless with Judah's money.  He showed the king of Assyria, who had already taken Israel captive, Judah's war chest.  Babylon got word of this and eventually conquered Judah and took her captive before releasing her 70 years later.  They destroyed King Solomon's temple in the process.  Hezekiah also racked up Judah's debt, much like what Presidents Bush and Obama have done with America.  The lesson for us today is that while our faith may be spot on, we must still exercise common sense in all areas of our lives.  God calls us to be on mission for Him, but He is also a logical God.  He calls us to be responsible and frugal when we need to be responsible and frugal while at the same time giving generously.  Basically, don't show your hand to your sworn enemies.  You are asking for trouble.

I've not come across this interpretation before. In some respects its quite at odds with how Hezekiah is traditionally viewed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Really?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1348 on: December 27, 2014, 08:02:39 PM »

Bushie's church's interpretation of most biblical and historical events is at odds and nontraditional.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1349 on: December 27, 2014, 08:22:09 PM »

Bushie's church's interpretation of most biblical and historical events is at odds and nontraditional.
This is because, traditionally, the Baptists were one of the most radical denominations. They purposely discarded just about everything from the Church of England. The quasi-Catholic rituals and clothes. The beautiful old churches. The idea of an established religion, with government intertanglements. Even the idea that one must believe just about any specific doctrine.The Baptists are nontraditional by design. That's the whole point.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies