Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:49:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 202609 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: January 10, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »

I think looking for a permanent job is a great idea. Why would you think that you need to quit your contract job in order to do it?

I'm not going to quit my job to look for another one.  The only way I'm leaving this job is when the contract ends or I find a permanent job.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1776 on: January 10, 2015, 11:58:43 PM »

Dare I ask how much your computer was?  Did you at least get no interest?

18 months no interest.  I'm not going to say the actual amount.

Oh you dont have to tell me, you got the deluxe model with all the bells and whistles because you have to run all dem high powered CADD programs, that you don't use anyway.

It wasn't the top of the line.  I didn't put THAT much on my card.  It should only take me 6-7 months to pay off.

How does one in your financial situation get credit to begin with?

why wouldnt a store give someone like bushie a card with a 20%+ apr? 

The Best Buy card has 0% APR if you pay it off in the time frame. It's actually a pretty good deal, even though my opinion of Best Buy in general is...well low (I won't elaborate, I'll just say my experience with them I mentioned earlier in the thread was not all that good.)

Despite that I did buy my current computer at Best Buy through the same plan, though mine was far cheaper and on 6-month financing. Yeah, Bushie no doubt got smooth talked into upgrading the components on his.

I'll also point out that desktop computers are kind of like landline phones, they have their uses and aren't going obsolete ever, but your average person really doesn't need one. The biggest advantage they have is customizability, since with laptops you're kind of stuck with the setup you buy it with. And for businesses and places like college computer labs where the computers won't be moving much, they're obviously the more logical choice. But unless you're a huge PC gamer who'll be updating their graphics and sound cards frequently, some type of software designer or engineer who needs to keep using high end software, or some tech geek who likes building their own computers and customizing Linux setups, that advantage isn't much. And it's not like Bushie's CADD software is like some high end graphic design suite, it can probably run easily on a $400 laptop, (not that it matters since Bushie doesn't use it anyway...) like many things Bushie simply made the least logical decision for no real reason.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1777 on: January 11, 2015, 09:01:10 AM »

sounds like the job isn't going well. RIP
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1778 on: January 11, 2015, 09:31:08 AM »

Then, you must be a very poor listener.  I have said the job is going great.  You cannot say that to mean the opposite.  You have to trust me.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1779 on: January 11, 2015, 09:58:13 AM »

Then, you must be a very poor listener.  I have said the job is going great.  You cannot say that to mean the opposite.  You have to trust me.

i cant understand your thinking at all.  your contract job is going to end soon, so you contemplate quitting it even sooner?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1780 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »

Why did you volunteer a discussion with your mother about quitting if things are going well?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1781 on: January 11, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »

Longtime update watchers: What's the longest amount of time Bushie has held a job? It seems like the median is 2-3 months.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1782 on: January 11, 2015, 11:59:29 AM »

Are CADD jobs mostly temp gigs or can one get an old fashioned 9 to 5 in it? That would have been a good thing to know from the outset, but it's still something worth consideration. I would rather make a little bit less in a different field but have more security and consistency. It takes a special kind of personality to manage freelance work.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1783 on: January 11, 2015, 12:01:03 PM »

Longtime update watchers: What's the longest amount of time Bushie has held a job? It seems like the median is 2-3 months.

He lasted in Utah for a decent amount of time, but he saved exactly $0 at it since all of his takehome pay was absorbed by his extravagant spending and had to come back home.

Are CADD jobs mostly temp gigs or can one get an old fashioned 9 to 5 in it? That would have been a good thing to know from the outset, but it's still something worth consideration. I would rather make a little bit less in a different field but have more security and consistency. It takes a special kind of personality to manage freelance work.

His prior employer had long term employees, but Bushie was singled out by his "cranky boss" for the simple crime of "not getting it."
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1784 on: January 11, 2015, 12:02:24 PM »

The event that really got the Update started was when he abruptly quit his job of a year or two at Oklahoma Natural Gas to accept a role in an international money laundering scheme.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1785 on: January 11, 2015, 12:05:14 PM »

But the people featured in the TV commercials for any given tech community college always show how successful they are in their careers now.  You're guaranteed to succeed.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1786 on: January 11, 2015, 12:16:15 PM »

What did Bushie work as in Kenya?

How many jobs has he had?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1787 on: January 11, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »

I think looking for a permanent job is a great idea. Why would you think that you need to quit your contract job in order to do it?

I'm not going to quit my job to look for another one.  The only way I'm leaving this job is when the contract ends or I find a permanent job.

Why the f*** would you need to quit your current job to look for another one??  You can look for jobs while you are still employed you know...

Don't you think it would be a good idea to get the search started now, so you aren't unemployed when the contract runs out??
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1788 on: January 11, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »

He went to Kenya for a week or two on two seperate occasions. It was a mission trip/volunteer situation which he has described as a "vacation." I have nothing against charity/volunteer work, but it would not be at all accurate to describe what he did as a job. On that point, I would also point out that many of the things he has done in the US have not been jobs either. Scams too numerous to remember. Sales "jobs" that are really transparent pyramid schemes. Door to door vacuum sales. For a while he sold fake insurance policies for which members of his immediate family were the only clients. He also got removed from his moderation duties here for promoting that particular product.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1789 on: January 11, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »

The only thing he said he did in Kenya was "loving on kids". And I doubt anyone including Bushie hasn't lost count of how many jobs he has had.

His longest job was the Oklahoma Natural Gas one that he had for at least two years but it was quitting that for an obvious scam that kicked off Update.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1790 on: January 11, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »

Why the f*** would you need to quit your current job to look for another one??  You can look for jobs while you are still employed you know...

Don't you think it would be a good idea to get the search started now, so you aren't unemployed when the contract runs out??

Did you even read my post?  I already answered your question.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1791 on: January 11, 2015, 02:18:02 PM »

Have you got rid of the Tulsa flat yet?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1792 on: January 11, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »

What I got out of your replies was that you'd decided not to look for another job while you still have your current one.

I think what's frustrating everyone is, 1) you seem to think that, in order to look for another job, you'd have to quit the one you have, and 2) your replies indicate that you won't be spending any time looking for another job, even though the current one is temporary.

The logical response they're looking for is, "I'm going to keep an eye out for other, more-permanent jobs while still working hard to get all I can out of the current one." Your replies make it seem like you can only do one or the other -- work and ignore your future, or not work at all so you can find a future.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1793 on: January 11, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »

I suppose it is hard to focus on focusing when you are working full 24hour work weeks.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1794 on: January 11, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »

Yes and your answer makes no sense whatsoever.   You can do both.  It isn't a one or the other option.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1795 on: January 11, 2015, 02:34:55 PM »

Am I missing something? Our Dear Friend clearly said he's not quitting his job in order to look for another one? Is it just possible that Smash is being his usual goofy self?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1796 on: January 11, 2015, 02:40:15 PM »

Am I missing something? Our Dear Friend clearly said he's not quitting his job in order to look for another one? Is it just possible that Smash is being his usual goofy self?

He had a discussion with his mother about it, which means he did consider it and it's still in the back of his mind. Thought seeds in Bushie's mind never stop growing once they're planted.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1797 on: January 11, 2015, 03:12:43 PM »

Yes and your answer makes no sense whatsoever.   You can do both.  It isn't a one or the other option.

Again, did you read ALL of my post?  I clearly said I'm not leaving this job unless this contract ends or I find a permanent job.  This means I know it doesn't have to be one or the other.  Instead, though, words are being put in my mouth which I never said.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1798 on: January 11, 2015, 03:23:26 PM »

Obviously you were considering quitting until mama bushie talked you out of it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1799 on: January 11, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »

Obviously you were considering quitting until mama bushie talked you out of it.

I never seriously considered it.  I just brought it up to her (and to the forum) as a possibility.  It was a possibility I wasn't keen on, but was just trying to find the best path going forward in this contract.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies