Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:25:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 202635 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1850 on: January 11, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »

If you say so, but to me it sounds like you're "taking comfort." We've all seen this before...

There's nothing wrong with doing both, as long as it is a healthy balance.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1851 on: January 11, 2015, 10:02:19 PM »

If you say so, but to me it sounds like you're "taking comfort." We've all seen this before...

I have no idea what you're talking about, bro.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1852 on: January 11, 2015, 10:20:38 PM »

Bushie, are you following these NFL playoffs? There have been some really terrible calls this year.

It's like the refs have gotten together after Week 17 and already decided the outcome of all the games.  The Super Bowl is probably already decided by them...
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1853 on: January 11, 2015, 10:25:55 PM »

You can't handle criticism and that's why you thought about quitting.

Would you drop that, please?  That's a non-issue.

I hate to be like this, but it's a big issue in your life....you're actually doing it right now Tongue.

What am I supposed to do?  Agree with him on something that is blatantly not true?  Since when is defending yourself against false accusation that he just concocted not taking criticism well?  I take criticism very well, but I just don't like being falsely accused.

...you're not exactly taking it well.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1854 on: January 11, 2015, 10:33:06 PM »

I have no idea what you're talking about, bro.

One can take constructive criticism and take comfort at the same time.  Millions of workers do that all the time.  It's called earning a living.  Everybody will face criticism, and most workers if they look hard enough can find silver linings in nearly every cloud.  All I'm saying is I don't have to look as hard as other people might.  I have it pretty easy right now comparatively speaking.  Everybody there is friendly and when they offer criticism, I am upset at the moment, but I'm usually more upset at myself for making the mistake, which are sometimes very obvious and mistakes that another look of my own probably would have caught and corrected before he even saw it.  I do have some face palm moments after these errors are pointed out.  Thankfully, I have to correct all of them before they go out, so nobody else sees them except myself and the lead or assistant lead, whoever is checking the work.  I have some drawings that I rush through and thus have more errors than what I should have while other drawings I get it all correct on the first or second pass.  All I need to do is not get in such a rush.  Slowing down just a bit would probably eliminate 90-95% of these errors.  I'm not a really good drafter, yet, but I see a lot of potential.  My assistant lead sees a lot of potential and that's part of the reason he's hard on me is he's just trying to bring out my best.  Of course, he's following the chain of responsibility, but he sees a lot of potential in me.  I'm also not the only one he is hard on.  He does kind of get on to the rest of the drafters, a couple of whom have 25-30 years experience.  Truth be told, I am very excited about tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to working toward the next deadline as a team.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1855 on: January 11, 2015, 10:38:30 PM »

Good night, folks.  It is time for me to go to bed and get ready for Week 11.  My alarm is set for 0545, so I should be able to get eight good hours of sleep.  I'm looking forward to Week 11.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1856 on: January 12, 2015, 12:53:59 AM »

How do you plan on developing your potential? Besides forcing your coworkers into the role of teacher, that is.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1857 on: January 12, 2015, 01:36:34 AM »

How do you plan on developing your potential? Besides forcing your coworkers into the role of teacher, that is.

How many hours has Jeff worked on his CAD skills outside of work?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1858 on: January 12, 2015, 03:49:53 AM »

You can't handle criticism and that's why you thought about quitting.

Would you drop that, please?  That's a non-issue.

I hate to be like this, but it's a big issue in your life....you're actually doing it right now Tongue.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1859 on: January 12, 2015, 09:41:37 AM »

Bushie, are you following these NFL playoffs? There have been some really terrible calls this year.

It's like the refs have gotten together after Week 17 and already decided the outcome of all the games.  The Super Bowl is probably already decided by them...

lol
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1860 on: January 12, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »

How many hours has Jeff worked on his CAD skills outside of work?
How many light years tall are you? Units of measurement need  to be appropriate for that which you are trying to measure.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1861 on: January 12, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »

I think looking for a permanent job is a great idea. Why would you think that you need to quit your contract job in order to do it?

I'm not going to quit my job to look for another one.  The only way I'm leaving this job is when the contract ends or I find a permanent job.

Why the f*** would you need to quit your current job to look for another one??  You can look for jobs while you are still employed you know...

Don't you think it would be a good idea to get the search started now, so you aren't unemployed when the contract runs out??

Did you even read my post?  I already answered your question.

Yes and your answer makes no sense whatsoever.   You can do both.  It isn't a one or the other option.

Again, did you read ALL of my post?  I clearly said I'm not leaving this job unless this contract ends or I find a permanent job.  This means I know it doesn't have to be one or the other.  Instead, though, words are being put in my mouth which I never said.

Your previous answers made it seem like you were NOT currently looking for another job.  Your post after this one stating you aren't going to really look until mid Feb confirms that.  You should be looking NOW that was my point.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1862 on: January 12, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »

Smash, I may wait until February, but I will start looking at some point.  I'm in no rush right now.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1863 on: January 12, 2015, 12:33:24 PM »

Smash, I may wait until February, but I will start looking at some point.  I'm in no rush right now.

I'm not understanding why, when you get home at night, you can't start looking for a FULL TIME  NON-CONTRACT job?  What is preventing you from looking now, instead of waiting til the bitter end?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1864 on: January 12, 2015, 01:07:59 PM »

Grumps, nothing is stopping me, I guess I'm too happy at this job.  I know that has nothing to do with it, but I am happy here.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1865 on: January 12, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »

But you know the job is not permanent. You know it for a fact. It's only a matter of how temporary it is.

Who cares how happy you are? LOOK.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1866 on: January 12, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »

I thought you might say that.  I may start looking tonight while I watch the game.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1867 on: January 12, 2015, 01:20:52 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1868 on: January 12, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »

Hasn't this been said for nearly three pages?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1869 on: January 12, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »

One question, though, how am I supposed to honor face to face interviews without taking any time off work and I work 8-5?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1870 on: January 12, 2015, 03:09:19 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2015, 05:33:03 PM by Smash255 »

One question, though, how am I supposed to honor face to face interviews without taking any time off work and I work 8-5?

It is a good problem to have.

Most employers are fairly flexible with the times of interviews.  You can schedule it after hours if need be (5:30. 6:00), put it on a lunch hour.

Have an interview as early in the AM as possible, and go to work in the afternoon, or after you get out.

We might get on you for taking too much time off from work, but if you are taking it off to better yourself with a full time job that is perfectly fine.  Now just don't take the time off for an interview for a sales position or call center.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1871 on: January 12, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »

Does Our Dear Friend have a statement on the Ballon d'Or winner?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1872 on: January 12, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »

You make these things way too difficult. Smash summed it up pretty well -- let them know you're currently employed with little flexibility on your time off, and they'll probably be willing to schedule time either before or after-hours. Otherwise, you have a lunch-hour, right? Skip a meal and meet at noon.

You can always let your employer know that you have a personal appointment and may need a little flexibility, as well. Maybe I've worked in nothing but lax environments, but I've never asked for doctor's notes or anything "official" if someone needs to knock off an hour or two early.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1873 on: January 12, 2015, 06:01:47 PM »

You make these things way too difficult. Smash summed it up pretty well -- let them know you're currently employed with little flexibility on your time off, and they'll probably be willing to schedule time either before or after-hours. Otherwise, you have a lunch-hour, right? Skip a meal and meet at noon.

You can always let your employer know that you have a personal appointment and may need a little flexibility, as well. Maybe I've worked in nothing but lax environments, but I've never asked for doctor's notes or anything "official" if someone needs to knock off an hour or two early.

Exactly, not to mention any potential employer that wants you to drop anything and everything and go into an interview the next day or no go is the hire and fire chop shops Bushie knows so well.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1874 on: January 12, 2015, 07:31:25 PM »

Why are we still trying to keep Bushie working, when all evidence shows that it costs Papa Bushie countless thousands of dollars?  Have a heart. Direct Bushie back to the Train Room, so Papa can retire one day. This adventure is unsustainable and it's costing an old man everything.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies