Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:25:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 203645 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1925 on: January 13, 2015, 07:48:38 PM »

Wow, this is quite the ending for the 19th season/lead-in for the 20th.

Why don't you end Season 19 now and start Season 20 with a title related to the job search.  This is a perfect story break into the next season, don't you think?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1926 on: January 13, 2015, 08:09:49 PM »

1. why are you going to tulsa
2. the problem isn't you have cable, the problem is you have premium platinum cable
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1927 on: January 13, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »

Still planning to buy a new car?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1928 on: January 13, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »

2. the problem isn't you have cable, the problem is you have premium platinum cable

1. I still technically live there and I have an apartment up there already nearly completely furnished except for computers, printer, clothes, and food.  It would save Mom and Dad $1000+ on movers.

2. Which is why I'm going to scale it back some.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1929 on: January 13, 2015, 08:15:33 PM »

Why don't you look for jobs based in both OKC *and* Tulsa?  Your Tulsa lease is expiring in two months anyway, so if you find a job in OKC, you can ditch the Tulsa apartment.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1930 on: January 13, 2015, 08:15:38 PM »

Oh heck no!!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1931 on: January 13, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »

Why don't you look for jobs based in both OKC *and* Tulsa?  Your Tulsa lease is expiring in two months anyway, so if you find a job in OKC, you can ditch the Tulsa apartment.

If I get a job in OKC, I would have to yet again change my address and uproot everything again.  Plus, that would bring back the $1000+ on moving expenses.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1932 on: January 13, 2015, 08:25:52 PM »

Bushie, just admit you want to get away from the folks. There's no way not moving out of an empty apartment is economical, but we'll just accept that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1933 on: January 13, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »

Why would moving cost you a thousand dollars? All you need to do is hire a van. Do you own all of the furniture & etc in there? If so, sell it. Problem solved and money saved.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1934 on: January 13, 2015, 08:28:38 PM »

1. I still technically live there and I have an apartment up there already nearly completely furnished except for computers, printer, clothes, and food.  It would save Mom and Dad $1000+ on movers.

2. Which is why I'm going to scale it back some.

Yes, but that's an upfront cost - when you're paying how much over the year to retain and service the Tulsa apartment?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1935 on: January 13, 2015, 08:37:52 PM »

Sorry about the bad news and good luck on the job search.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1936 on: January 13, 2015, 08:41:43 PM »

IndyTexas, I just signed up from Dropbox and have put my newly updated resume on there and verified I can open it from my laptop.

The cost of the movers includes the moving truck and labor of the men who move the furniture.  Mine and Dad's backs are not strong enough to lift all that furniture.  If I sold all the furniture, I'd just have to buy all new stuff in the near future which would make it much more expensive.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1937 on: January 13, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »

IndyTexas, I just signed up from Dropbox and have put my newly updated resume on there and verified I can open it from my laptop.

The cost of the movers includes the moving truck and labor of the men who move the furniture.  Mine and Dad's backs are not strong enough to lift all that furniture.  If I sold all the furniture, I'd just have to buy all new stuff in the near future which would make it much more expensive.

Jeff, even if you didnt have dropbox, dont you have a thumb drive or couldnt you email it to yourself? It just seems you make simple tasks difficult.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1938 on: January 13, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »

Jeff, even if you didnt have dropbox, dont you have a thumb drive or couldnt you email it to yourself? It just seems you make simple tasks difficult.

That's what I was going to do if it weren't for dropbox.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1939 on: January 13, 2015, 09:06:19 PM »

Has Papa taken the nearest bridge or put a gun in his mouth yet?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1940 on: January 13, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »

What nobody realizes is I am bringing home a fat paycheck every two weeks, so I'm paying for 90% of my bills.  I've said that several times before, but why cant anyone see that?

It's sad that, with a fat paycheck, you're not paying 100% of your own bills. You are an thirty something adult. Come on, dude. How can't you see that?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1941 on: January 13, 2015, 09:28:23 PM »

If it costs $1000 to hire a moving truck and a couple of guys to move a single guy's apartment's worth of stuff, then clearly I am in the wrong line of work.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1942 on: January 13, 2015, 09:35:09 PM »

If I get a job in OKC, I would have to yet again change my address and uproot everything again.  Plus, that would bring back the $1000+ on moving expenses.

What is there to uproot? You're single, you have no kids, no job (as of tomorrow) and you rent. You claim you want to move to Kenya at some point and you're complaining about a Tulsa-to-OKC shift?

It does not cost $1,000 to move one person's stuff out of an apartment. Certainly not in Oklahoma. The fact that someone in your financial shape elected to buy make your parents buy you an apartment full of new stuff just serves as more evidence of the larger issue we're skirting. On your income, you should be furnishing your apartment from Ikea and Craigslist.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1943 on: January 13, 2015, 09:50:20 PM »

I've never done temp work so maybe somebody (other than Bushie) who has can fill me in. What is the point of having a "contract" if the employer can dismiss an employee who hasn't committed a serious offense with no notice? That's not what the word contract means. That's working as a day laborer.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1944 on: January 13, 2015, 09:54:27 PM »

I've never done temp work so maybe somebody (other than Bushie) who has can fill me in. What is the point of having a "contract" if the employer can dismiss an employee who hasn't committed a serious offense with no notice? That's not what the word contract means. That's working as a day laborer.

I believe the "contract" bit refers the agreement the sub-contractor has with the prime, and anyone who is brought on for that purpose is truly just temporary help. The employees have no contract with anyone.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1945 on: January 13, 2015, 10:02:42 PM »

I've become increasingly convinced over the past year that the relatively small or mundane types of tasks that come up in our day-to-day lives that we dislike are genuinely debilitating or impossible for Bushie. Telling him to list a few things on Craigslist or wherever for sale, rent a van for <$50 to haul all the rest of the stuff back home, disconnect his utilities/make changes to the existing plan and similar acts are (and I'm not being facetious here) way too advanced for him. It's another feather in the bonnet of the "mentally handicapped" theory.

It's either that or he can't stand the act of a combination of physical labor and/or social contact (would explain why he had to be hounded time and time again to call MetroTech about his certificate; maybe the call centers have traumatized him from using the phone).
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1946 on: January 13, 2015, 10:03:17 PM »

I believe the "contract" bit refers the agreement the sub-contractor has with the prime, and anyone who is brought on for that purpose is truly just temporary help. The employees have no contract with anyone.
If you can please define the words "subcontractor" and "prime" in this context, we will be all squared away. Thanks for your help.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1947 on: January 13, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »

Well now that he's been fired, I expect to be un-purged in a week once he admits as much to his facebook friends.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1948 on: January 13, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »

So, I officially started the job search about 2045 (15 minutes ago).  Within 5 minutes I found a Career Fair in Tulsa that includes drafters and a mountain of other job titles.  The fair is next Thursday, January 22, 2015 from 1000-1400.  I have just pre-registered for the fair and will make sure I take several copies of my resume and get there by 0945, if not earlier, to get in line.  I will probably go on up to Tulsa a day or two before so I can get things set up and go straight from the apartment to the fair instead of having to get up super early, fight traffic, and worry whether I'm going to get there on time.  The fair is only 5 1/2 miles from my apartment.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1949 on: January 13, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »

Literally loling
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies