Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:34:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 203611 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: January 13, 2015, 10:10:33 PM »

Well now that he's been fired, I expect to be un-purged in a week once he admits as much to his facebook friends.

Don't use the word fired.  It's the wrong term.  That term implies I am at fault.  I had no fault in this termination.  All six of us temps are getting cut.  The boss is proud and grateful for our work, but he simply cannot keep any of us.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1951 on: January 13, 2015, 10:13:31 PM »

Well now that he's been fired, I expect to be un-purged in a week once he admits as much to his facebook friends.

Don't use the word fired.  It's the wrong term.  That term implies I am at fault.  I had no fault in this termination.  All six of us temps are getting cut.  The boss is proud and grateful for our work, but he simply cannot keep any of us.

Weren't you saying like 1-2 weeks ago that there was a ton of work about to come in and you guys were going to be jam-packed busy?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1952 on: January 13, 2015, 10:16:45 PM »

I bet that has never happened at Braum's. Just go work there already. The pay may not be excellent, but you'll get to eat for free, so it all evens out in the end.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1953 on: January 13, 2015, 10:18:08 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2015, 10:28:23 PM by King »

Bushie, I have a red hot lead for you.

Williams Corporation posted a job opening in Oklahoma City yesterday for Design Draftsman

link

It's so red hot whoever entered it did it wrong and there's an error message as job description. But it's a legitimate company with a job titled Design Draftsman. I have to bet that is CAD and I have to bet if you apply ASAP you'll be one of the first applications for it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1954 on: January 13, 2015, 10:20:11 PM »

Weren't you saying like 1-2 weeks ago that there was a ton of work about to come in and you guys were going to be jam-packed busy?

Yes, but I didn't see the whole picture.  We had a deadline last week, but we got on top of that real quick and we spent all day Thursday, Friday, and Monday doing busy work just to fill up 8 hours in order not to bug the boss, lead, or assistant lead.  I did some work today, but nothing was pressing.  We have been unusually slow and the heavy work load just has not hit.  I guess they were overestimating the amount of work we were going to get.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1955 on: January 13, 2015, 10:27:44 PM »

Williams Corporation posted a job opening in Oklahoma City yesterday for Design Draftsman

link

It's so red hot whoever entered it did it wrong and there's an error message as job description. But it's a legitimate company with a job titled Design Draftsman. I have to bet that is CAD and I have to bet if you apply ASAP you'll be one of the first applications for it.

Haha, if the job description is empty, then I'm not touching it.

Then read the job description for the Lead Designer they also posted.

link

And just imagine that "Design Draftsman" is that job with experience and responsibilities kicked down a few notches.

I am giving you a job posting from a Fortune 500 company in OKC. Apply now and ask questions later. If there was ever a moment for you to go out on a limb...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1956 on: January 13, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »

link

link

And just imagine that "Design Draftsman" is that job with experience and responsibilities kicked down a few notches.

I am giving you a job posting from a Fortune 500 company in OKC. Apply now and ask questions later. If there was ever a moment for you to go out on a limb...

You're trying to trick me into a potential scam.  Not this time!!
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1957 on: January 13, 2015, 10:50:21 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1958 on: January 13, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »

I like how he prefaces the news of his non-firing firing with "breaking news."

Your life will stop being a joke once you stop making it one, Jeff.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1959 on: January 13, 2015, 11:29:19 PM »

I've never done temp work so maybe somebody (other than Bushie) who has can fill me in. What is the point of having a "contract" if the employer can dismiss an employee who hasn't committed a serious offense with no notice? That's not what the word contract means. That's working as a day laborer.

I believe the "contract" bit refers the agreement the sub-contractor has with the prime, and anyone who is brought on for that purpose is truly just temporary help. The employees have no contract with anyone.
If you can please define the words "subcontractor" and "prime" in this context, we will be all squared away. Thanks for your help.

Just guessing ... but Jeff liked to say that he worked for General Dynamics. He did not. He worked for one of dozens of smaller firms that are built to offload crappy work from larger companies. General Dynamics is a "prime," and in the world of contract work, they may well have won a contract to do something for a government agency, etc. They are the prime contractor (like CGI for building the healthcare website).

But since doing things like doodling in CADD to draw up pieces and parts for whatever their main contract is for is something that a prime doesn't really want to mess with, they issue that work out to a sub-contractor (like the sub-contractors that actually built the healthcare website). The sub-contractor may see fits and starts of work based on when prime contractors are winning contracts and hire temporary workers to complete their part of the contract.

So, contract work refers the the temporary nature of fulfilling a primary contract.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1960 on: January 14, 2015, 12:19:37 AM »

Perhaps General Dynamics discontinued its relationship with Bushie's shop after they found out ODF blabbed details about the super secret comm rooms on American military bases.

This includes not talking about it much and not talking at all about the sensitive information that I'm exposed to.

You're doomed.

I mean….someone who gave up his Social Security number to a stranger on the internet is being trusted with national security secrets?

Let's put things into perspective.  It can't be that sensitive.  I didn't have to get a security clearance, so it's not that secure.  The information I am exposed to are just floor plans of buildings on 11 bases in the United States plus one base overseas.  The floor plans show where the comm rooms are located which is where most of the changes have been made.  It's only about 1-3 rooms per building on average.  So, none of it is inherently classified, but it is still information that's best not to be divulged.  I made it sound more classified than it actually is.

Ah, well ISIS and al-Qaeda will appreciate being able to plan to only need explosives in 1 to 3 locations in a given building. Keep up the good work!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1961 on: January 14, 2015, 02:54:25 AM »

Wow, this is quite the ending for the 19th season/lead-in for the 20th.

Why don't you end Season 19 now and start Season 20 with a title related to the job search.  This is a perfect story break into the next season, don't you think?

It looks likes the title will be related to the job search (in a way). We'll find out for sure tomorrow night when I start Season XX.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1962 on: January 14, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »

bushie:  do papa a favor and go sign up for food stamps and any other public assistance programs you can get.  you are an unemployed poor.  what little you have were either purchased by credit or papa.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1963 on: January 14, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »

This chapter is officially closed.  It's a little sad, but at least I will get a good reference from this boss.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1964 on: January 14, 2015, 09:52:50 AM »

This chapter is officially closed.  It's a little sad, but at least I will get a good reference from this boss.

i thought you were working until friday?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1965 on: January 14, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »

Unbelievable. I give you a link to an actual CAD job with an actual company on their actual job site and you think it's a scam.

And now you're going to go to a job fair and come away selling vacuum cleaners.

Good luck out there, man.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1966 on: January 14, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »

link

link

You fat fool, it's real.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1967 on: January 14, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »

link

link

No we aren't!  That's a legitimate position.  What the hell is wrong with you? 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1968 on: January 14, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »

Jeff's work history has so skewed his perception of reality that he thinks if a job doesn't make you pay a fee to apply, show up on shady spam websites or involve a crazy commission-referral-based payment plan, it must not be a real job.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1969 on: January 14, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »

Jeff's work history has so skewed his perception of reality that he thinks if a job doesn't make you pay a fee to apply, show up on shady spam websites or involve a crazy commission-referral-based payment plan, it must not be a real job.

Could be, but I think this is an ironic twist where Bushie has become so lery of scam offers that everything not referred by a fellow Churchie must be a scam.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1970 on: January 14, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »

What's sad is Bushie writing that off as a scam and then heading out to another MLM scam as his next job is completely plausible.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1971 on: January 14, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »

bushie:  do papa a favor and go sign up for food stamps and any other public assistance programs you can get.  you are an unemployed

Apply here   http://www.okdhs.org/programsandservices/snap/docs/faq.htm
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1972 on: January 14, 2015, 11:38:14 AM »

So counting today Bushie has 24 hours remaining in this job. How many do you want to bet he actually works?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1973 on: January 14, 2015, 11:39:07 AM »

So counting today Bushie has 24 hours remaining in this job. How many do you want to bet he actually works?

He's probably not working today, so 0.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1974 on: January 14, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »

I worked 20 minutes and got paid for 1 hour.  I was able to finally talk to my boss, and he reassured me that this lay off was not my fault and that I will get a good referral from him for future applications.  When my recruiter said the end of the job was Friday, I knew that meant anytime between now and Friday.  Sure enough, I get in at 0800 and my boss called us all into the CAD room and broke the news to us in person, but reassured us over and over that he did everything he could to keep us, but the work load wouldn't allow it.  He told us that if it weren't for being able to use the holidays as a smoke screen and an excuse to take time off, we'd have been done before Christmas.  Things just never materialized.  So, like I said, I left work at 0820 this morning, but he was gracious enough to pay me until 0900.  I am going to take a nap now and then get back on the job hunt after I wake up until church time tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies