Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:28:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 203552 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2000 on: January 14, 2015, 03:22:11 PM »

He needs to apologize to his father more than once daily.  It's heartbreaking to see that guy just watch his retirement get pissed away with every BREAKING NEWS item.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2001 on: January 14, 2015, 03:24:10 PM »

Why can't all these "friends" from church help?

very good question.  maybe bushie should answer,

im guessing they are all fats and lazys.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2002 on: January 14, 2015, 04:39:07 PM »

Oh my, so many complements the past two pages.  (I'm saying that sarcastically, of course).  I don't care what anyone else, except my parents, think.  I'm not going to go through and answer every single post since I last posted.  That would be ridiculous and time consuming.  Suffice it to say that no one can blame me for this lay off.  Everyone has to agree with the truth that it wasn't my fault.  What is more debatable, however, is that I am doing the best I can not letting it get me down.  I am doing what I feel I need to do to put myself in the best position to get a job as soon as possible.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2003 on: January 14, 2015, 04:46:15 PM »

Oh my, so many complements the past two pages.  (I'm saying that sarcastically, of course).  I don't care what anyone else, except my parents, think.  I'm not going to go through and answer every single post since I last posted.  That would be ridiculous and time consuming.  Suffice it to say that no one can blame me for this lay off.  Everyone has to agree with the truth that it wasn't my fault.  What is more debatable, however, is that I am doing the best I can not letting it get me down.  I am doing what I feel I need to do to put myself in the best position to get a job as soon as possible.

Not as ridiculous and time consuming as celebrating the New Year for 24 different time zones.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2004 on: January 14, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »

I am doing what I feel I need to do to put myself in the best position to get a job as soon as possible.

you do that by napping?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2005 on: January 14, 2015, 05:01:14 PM »

I am doing what I feel I need to do to put myself in the best position to get a job as soon as possible.

you do that by napping?

Jeff needs a vacation from the vacation that is his life.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2006 on: January 14, 2015, 05:01:47 PM »

1.  You have a history of not being completely truthful of why you have been let go of certain places in the past.  Combine that with the fact as of a few days ago you were so sure that this would last for several more months.  Not saying that what you said didn't happen (it is certainly possible with the type of contract job you had), but your own past history of being less than honest at times when discussing your job situation does make people question it.

2.  You need to get your s*** together.  Other than Customer Service/Sales or a Call center, you need to open up your job search a bit.  CAAD should be your preference, but you shouldn't just corner yourself into just that.  You should apply for jobs you think you might be under-qualified for (within reason) and jobs you think you might be overqualified for.  

3.  I'm not sure what your resume looks like, but based on your job history I'm sure it is a nightmare.  You should try going to some career center or something like that to help out with it (I did when I was out of work, and it helped, considering how much you have bounced around you could really use the help.

4.  You should take the advice you are getting here.   While we take our shots at you, yell, scream, curse, bash you or whatever, it is for a reason.  Much of it comes from frustration about your complete lack of taking any advice or listening to anyone about anything.  While well intentioned your parents advice hasn't always been the best, you need to open yourself up to more and stop closing yourself off to other things no matter if it hurts and is a shot to your pride.

5.  You need to take better care of yourself.  While from time to time you seem to be eating a little better, you aren't doing it enough.  You also need to exercise.  Unfortunately, appearance can play a role in people getting hired, and when you look like you can't take care of yourself, an employer could think you can't take care of your job.  Not to mention you are extremely unhealthy.  You have major health issues, some are a life and death issue.  I'm basically the same age as you (J-Mann is as well) I can't even imagine having a fraction of the health issues you have had at my age.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2007 on: January 14, 2015, 05:08:40 PM »

Oh my, so many complements the past two pages.

CONGRATULATIONS ON BEING UNEMPLOYED AND TAKING A NAP AND NOT APPLYING FOR A JOB POSTING I FOUND FOR YOU BUSHIE. Cheesy
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2008 on: January 14, 2015, 05:20:51 PM »

1.  You have a history of not being completely truthful of why you have been let go of certain places in the past.  Combine that with the fact as of a few days ago you were so sure that this would last for several more months.  Not saying that what you said didn't happen (it is certainly possible with the type of contract job you had), but your own past history of being less than honest at times when discussing your job situation does make people question it.

2.  You need to get your s*** together.  Other than Customer Service/Sales or a Call center, you need to open up your job search a bit.  CAAD should be your preference, but you shouldn't just corner yourself into just that.  You should apply for jobs you think you might be under-qualified for (within reason) and jobs you think you might be overqualified for. 

3.  I'm not sure what your resume looks like, but based on your job history I'm sure it is a nightmare.  You should try going to some career center or something like that to help out with it (I did when I was out of work, and it helped, considering how much you have bounced around you could really use the help.

4.  You should take the advice you are getting here.   While we take our shots at you, yell, scream, curse, bash you or whatever, it is for a reason.  Much of it comes from frustration about your complete lack of taking any advice or listening to anyone about anything.  While well intentioned your parents advice hasn't always been the best, you need to open yourself up to more and stop closing yourself off to other things no matter if it hurts and is a shot to your pride.

5.  You need to take better care of yourself.  While from time to time you seem to be eating a little better, you aren't doing it enough.  You also need to exercise.  Unfortunately, appearance can play a role in people getting hired, and when you look like you can't take care of yourself, an employer could think you can't take care of your job.  Not to mention you are extremely unhealthy.  You have major health issues, some are a life and death issue.  I'm basically the same age as you (J-Mann is as well) I can't even imagine having a fraction of the health issues you have had at my age.

1. I understand where people are coming from considering my history, but they need to trust me on this one, as hard as it is.

2. You've "seen" me for years on Update, what would you recommend as another field?  The job fair next Thursday has a lot of job titles and drafters are only one of them.  I'll stay away from the sales and customer service related employers, but the others might be an idea.

3.  To be honest, I don't put every job on my resume.  I would never have a job if I did.  I only have five jobs on my resume - ONG, Dell, Xerox-Utah, John Shields and General Dynamics.  I'm thinking about scrapping the Utah job since it has no relevance to my current career path and goals.

4.  I just am uncomfortable taking life-altering advice from internet strangers.  Most of the advice is sound, and I do take it at times (i.e. the turkey wrap), but it's just the internet stranger thing.

5.  I know about the health.  I don't want to start another dialogue on that, so I'll leave that here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2009 on: January 14, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »

Has anyone asked Our Dear Friend what his actual long term life goals are? I'm not just talking employment either.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2010 on: January 14, 2015, 05:26:54 PM »

I find it fairly amusing that Bushie uses the excuse that he's under qualified to apply for that job, but had no problem potentially pissing away $200 on a certification exam for a job he wasn't anywhere near remotely qualified for and would've obviously crashed and burned if he somehow got it a couple weeks ago.

And even if the moving cost is $1000, that's still cheaper than at most 2 months of keeping the apartment. Hell when you factor in the mega-cable package and gas spent constantly traveling there even with the lower prices (plus the dining Bushie no doubt engages in during his Tulsa trips), he's probably spending at least 80% of that in one month. Furthermore that's a bit of an odd excuse to come up so late, seeing as how the only reason Bushie ended up in Tulsa in the first place was taking a dubious job offer that he didn't last long at, and Bushie has done crazier moves in the past, such as the whole Utah adventure back when he actually even owned a house. Why wasn't the furniture moving cost an issue then?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2011 on: January 14, 2015, 05:27:40 PM »

If you're dead set on Tulsa, rather than going to another archaic job fair or shady job site with MLM schemes left, right and sideways, click on this link

It's the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce list of the largest employers in Tulsa, OK with their websites.

Homework
1. Make a spreadsheet with three columns: Company Name, Job Title, URL
2. Visit the corporate website of every company, even Verizon and Pepsi, and do a job search on their corporate job/career site for the state of Oklahoma.  Save the URL for every posting you think you are capable of doing, both CAD and non-CAD. Then in the end go down the spreadsheet and apply for every job in order of how much you want the job.

Get the spreadsheet done in the next day. Then spend the rest of the weekend applying for as many jobs a day as you can on that list. Your goal should be to apply to EVERY job you think you capable of and hope you catch a fish.

Oh and NO CALL CENTERS.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2012 on: January 14, 2015, 05:37:13 PM »

Has anyone asked Our Dear Friend what his actual long term life goals are? I'm not just talking employment either.

die and go to heaven, duh
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2013 on: January 14, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »

1.  You have a history of not being completely truthful of why you have been let go of certain places in the past.  Combine that with the fact as of a few days ago you were so sure that this would last for several more months.  Not saying that what you said didn't happen (it is certainly possible with the type of contract job you had), but your own past history of being less than honest at times when discussing your job situation does make people question it.

2.  You need to get your s*** together.  Other than Customer Service/Sales or a Call center, you need to open up your job search a bit.  CAAD should be your preference, but you shouldn't just corner yourself into just that.  You should apply for jobs you think you might be under-qualified for (within reason) and jobs you think you might be overqualified for. 

3.  I'm not sure what your resume looks like, but based on your job history I'm sure it is a nightmare.  You should try going to some career center or something like that to help out with it (I did when I was out of work, and it helped, considering how much you have bounced around you could really use the help.

4.  You should take the advice you are getting here.   While we take our shots at you, yell, scream, curse, bash you or whatever, it is for a reason.  Much of it comes from frustration about your complete lack of taking any advice or listening to anyone about anything.  While well intentioned your parents advice hasn't always been the best, you need to open yourself up to more and stop closing yourself off to other things no matter if it hurts and is a shot to your pride.

5.  You need to take better care of yourself.  While from time to time you seem to be eating a little better, you aren't doing it enough.  You also need to exercise.  Unfortunately, appearance can play a role in people getting hired, and when you look like you can't take care of yourself, an employer could think you can't take care of your job.  Not to mention you are extremely unhealthy.  You have major health issues, some are a life and death issue.  I'm basically the same age as you (J-Mann is as well) I can't even imagine having a fraction of the health issues you have had at my age.

1. I understand where people are coming from considering my history, but they need to trust me on this one, as hard as it is.

2. You've "seen" me for years on Update, what would you recommend as another field?  The job fair next Thursday has a lot of job titles and drafters are only one of them.  I'll stay away from the sales and customer service related employers, but the others might be an idea.

3.  To be honest, I don't put every job on my resume.  I would never have a job if I did.  I only have five jobs on my resume - ONG, Dell, Xerox-Utah, John Shields and General Dynamics.  I'm thinking about scrapping the Utah job since it has no relevance to my current career path and goals.

4.  I just am uncomfortable taking life-altering advice from internet strangers.  Most of the advice is sound, and I do take it at times (i.e. the turkey wrap), but it's just the internet stranger thing.

5.  I know about the health.  I don't want to start another dialogue on that, so I'll leave that here.

1.  You have said that before, which is why many don't believe you.

2.  Keep your options open.  Any back office type of job, even data entry

3.  Even so having  Professional look at it, is something you should do.  I didn't have the crazy job history you have and I felt it helped my search.

4.  Uncomfortable or not, you need to.  Ignoring the advice is obviously not working

5.  You aren't doing anything though, that is the problem.  Not talking about it, isn't going to make it go away.  doing something about it, is something you need to do, and you aren't.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2014 on: January 14, 2015, 05:45:11 PM »

I'm standing by my pizza delivery suggestion. Bushie is never going to make it in CADD. The interest just isn't there. I don't say this to be ugly, but just because I'm a pragmatic, straightfoward kind of guy. Driving around and exchanging pizzas for money is something Bushie can do. He won't get fired. And, while not at all physically strenuous, it is more activity than he would ever get at a desk job. Pizza is the answer to your prayers, Bushie.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2015 on: January 14, 2015, 05:46:43 PM »

Let us be very clear: The fact that this one particular job did not last forever may not be your fault. What is your fault is your current unemployment status -- you refused all attempts to search for a new job when you knew your last one was highly temporary. Putting your faith in the continued existence of the job is your fault. Your current financial situation, where your expenses far exceed your income is your fault. The fact that you can't pay your bills is your own fault. The fact that you willingly surrendered previous jobs that actually did pay you decently is your own fault (though we understand that the axe would have likely come eventually for you, as it inevitably does). The fact that you're morbidly obese and unable to make changes to improve your own health is your fault.

Nothing is ever your fault, and that's why your life is in the terrible state its in. But by all means, take another nap.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2016 on: January 14, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »

After looking at the link again, I will say that it doesn't look like a scam, but it still looks like it wants too much experience.  I'm going to pass on that one.  I was thinking scam when the first link came up with no search results and I can't cognitively back down the requirements from the link that had an error message in the job description without proof.

Are you under-qualified?  Probably, but it isn't like we are asking you to apply for a real high position.  Just apply.  What is the worst that can happen?

He's organise the move, scout out dining options in a trip with Papa Bushie... look for nearby hotels in case of some drizzle - then he'll go to the interview.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2017 on: January 14, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »

Let me say something with the utmost respect.  Even though I'm unemployed, my life is not in shambles.  I have a great life I'm living.  I'm thoroughly enjoying life and I am not at all down about being laid off.  Could I have been a little more proactive in looking for a job?  Absolutely.  Am I fat?  You betcha.  Do I have reasons to be very happy with where God has me right now?  You better believe it.  Life has dealt some tough blows, and a lot of them, I inflicted on myself.  That doesn't mean my life is in complete disarray.  I have no reason to be ashamed or even worried.  I have every reason to be thankful and determined.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2018 on: January 14, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »

Let me say something with the utmost respect.  Even though I'm unemployed, my life is not in shambles.  I have a great life I'm living.  I'm thoroughly enjoying life and I am not at all down about being laid off.  Could I have been a little more proactive in looking for a job?  Absolutely.  Am I fat?  You betcha.  Do I have reasons to be very happy with where God has me right now?  You better believe it.  Life has dealt some tough blows, and a lot of them, I inflicted on myself.  That doesn't mean my life is in complete disarray.  I have no reason to be ashamed or even worried.  I have every reason to be thankful and determined.
No, your life is in shambles. You need to understand that or you will never fix the reasons behind it. I don't see the point in getting all judgmental about the shame thing, but you must see that your situation is pretty darned dire. I get that your parents have more means to support you indefinitely than mine would but even the Browns, the richest people ever to live in a trailer, must have their financial limitations maxed out at some point.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2019 on: January 14, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »

Let me say something with the utmost respect.  Even though I'm unemployed, my life is not in shambles.  I have a great life I'm living.  I'm thoroughly enjoying life and I am not at all down about being laid off.  Could I have been a little more proactive in looking for a job?  Absolutely.  Am I fat?  You betcha.  Do I have reasons to be very happy with where God has me right now?  You better believe it.  Life has dealt some tough blows, and a lot of them, I inflicted on myself.  That doesn't mean my life is in complete disarray.  I have no reason to be ashamed or even worried.  I have every reason to be thankful and determined.

Well of course you're living the good life -- thanks to an overly generous family, everyone else is paying your bills when you can't and you face no consequences for your own actions.

And PS: You definitely have reason to be worried about the direction your life has headed.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2020 on: January 14, 2015, 06:35:26 PM »

I just sent in my first application for a Detail Draftsman/CAD Operator in Tulsa.  I've got to get ready for church, then I will do more job searching tonight before I read my Bible.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2021 on: January 14, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »

my life is not in shambles.  I have a great life I'm living.  I'm thoroughly enjoying life and I am not at all down about being laid off. 

This is REPULSIVE.  You parents quite frankly should disown you.  You've ruined their retirement and it's not repairable.  Enjoy your great life while your parents suffer.   You're the worst example of a Christian I've ever met.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2022 on: January 14, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »

I have no reason to be ashamed or even worried.

Actually, you do. Take your head out of the sand, open your eyes and take a good hard look at yourself. And if you can't handle that, I'll leave you with this:

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2023 on: January 14, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »

I just sent in my first application for a Detail Draftsman/CAD Operator in Tulsa.  I've got to get ready for church, then I will do more job searching tonight before I read my Bible.

"I went past the field of the sluggard, past the vineyard of the man who lacks judgment; thorns had come up everywhere, the ground was covered with weeds and the stone wall was in ruins. I applied my heart to what I observed and learned a lesson from what I saw: A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest--and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man."
Proverbs 24:30-34

"We hear that some among you are idle. ... Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat."
2 Thessalonians 3:11-12
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2024 on: January 14, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »

Then what is the point of these past XIX seasons of Update?  So that we can tell you how amazing you are?
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies