Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:29:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 204978 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: November 23, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »

OK... let's be honest. Even it required going to *gulp* Oklahoma... who wouldn't have paid to see an overweight American score lower than a 5 year old with one of those slide-like ball launchers?

I mean, bowling is considered the sport for the fat and nonathletic ...
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »

For Bushie...

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 07:10:38 PM »

I ate a ridiculous amount also. It was only my dad and me this year, so I just made lunch reservations for the Thanksgiving buffet at the Holiday Inn, which was pretty darn good. I went to the gym first thing because I knew I'd be in no condition for any physical activity after eating. It has been over 4 hours now since we ate, and I'm still way too full. This must be what Bushie feels like everyday. I sure as heck don't feel like doing anything productive now. You just don't know a man until you walk drive a mile in his shoes.

BUT IT'S A HOLIDAY!!!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 11:16:20 PM »

No one can dismiss bowling as a meaningless activity.  It is a pretty good work out.

As far as physical activity goes... it is one of the most meaningless.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 12:37:40 AM »

Advent is also a penitential season, but I doubt Bushie or his church will be giving that much thought.

Advent and Christmas are the same seasons.  By celebrating Advent, we are celebrating Christmas and vice-versa.  It's like Lent and Easter, they are one in the same.  You're right, though, Southern Baptists don't generally celebrate either Advent or Lent.  It doesn't make us wrong.

Celebrating Christmas without Advent and Easter without Lent is celebrating the feast without the fast, it's like the Resurrection without the Cross, the birth without the labor, and the victory without the battle. Not to pick on you in particular Bushie since you're far from the only one who sees it this way, but how are we going to build a Christian culture of virtue upon self-denial if we throw out all the parts of Christianity that deal with that?

What you and Nathan seem to be suggesting is that we shouldn't be listening to Christmas music or celebrating Christmas in any way but for a couple days each year?

Christmas last almost two weeks, Bushie. That's no small amount of time for festivities. You can even make a case from tradition for dragging it out until around the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord if you really want to.

That's a pretty short amount of time, in all honesty.  It should last one or two months, not 12 days.  Eh, I'll stick with the Southern Baptist tradition of Christmas all the month of December.  By the time January 1 rolls around, I'm starting to turn my focus toward Easter and Springtime.

That is literally one of the most disturbing things I've read on update.

You live from event to event, like a child (no, child-like wonder is NOT charming in a 32/3? year old man... it's something that requires serious assessment). Maybe if you weren't so fixated on celebrating Christmas (again, read up on the festival of Saturnalia) for six months and wading your way through Easter, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving... note they're all events noted for consumption of copious amounts of bad food. You might, just might, be able to put in the effort to live like a man your age should be.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »

Is this cousin the person who'll be doing some sort of secretarial work for a Bible translator, or do you know multiple people who are going on missions to Cameroon? If it's the latter, what will your cousin be doing?

She's the one managing a guest house for Bible translators.

What language or languages are they translating the Bible into?

Many different languages.  I don't know which ones, but believe it or not there are still thousands of people groups who have not heard the name of Jesus, have no churches, and have no access to the written Word of God.  The Gospel of Jesus Christ and the written Word of God, known as the Bible, are advancing rapidly, but it still has a long way to go.

Whom they are yet to con into their particularly backward and damaging form of Christianity.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »

BBQ at a friend's place... lots of good food and wine. Probably some 80s/90s music.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 11:24:14 PM »

BBQ at a friend's place... lots of good food and wine. Probably some 80s/90s music.

I wouldn't mind a glass of chardonnay, but I have a 2 hour drive to make New Year's afternoon on six hours sleep.

...oh honey no.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 04:44:37 AM »

Isn't it weird that Bushie spends months focusing on Christmas, but then a week before Christmas he's already moved on to focusing on focusing on New Years?

Always focusing on the future... Christmas is too close.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 05:07:23 AM »

Isn't it weird that Bushie spends months focusing on Christmas, but then a week before Christmas he's already moved on to focusing on focusing on New Years?

Always focusing on the future... Christmas is too close.

Not too soon to focus on Christmas 2015.

Nah, next we've got Easter and Fourth of July.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »

New Years is definitely a holy holiday for Bushie. It means we only have 6-9 years left before the rapture instead of 7-10.

Eh, more like 7-9.  There is one specific event I'm looking for to start the final 7 years.  That is, an interim Mideast peace deal between the Palestinians and the Israelis.  John Kerry was trying to get one done last Christmas, but came away empty in late April.  We can't cautiously tick underneath 7 years until that happens.  I think it will happen soon, although I have no idea when.  That's why I'm cautiously thinking between 7-10 years.

Yeah, no wonder he doesn't give a toss about his body or Earthly life if he's believing this BS.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 09:49:56 AM »

What a wonderful example!

Teaching kids that alcohol is about abstinence not moderation. It's what all those wine-guzzlers in the Bible would have wanted.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 08:51:10 PM »

It's been a pretty good day to start 2015.  I went to bed at 0130 and woke up at 0830.  I had breakfast, but couldn't get going today, so I took a nap until 1400.  I woke up from the nap refreshed and I have been sitting here watching football and keeping track of the weather.  We've got a small ice storm on the way for tomorrow afternoon through Saturday morning.  Oklahoma City is expecting a tenth to a quarter of an inch of freezing rain which is solid ice.  The roads will be a big mess, although we should still be in good shape as far as power is concerned.

Bushie.txt : I couldn't get going... so I didn't.

When did this "nap" commence? Any earlier than noon, then it wasn't a nap, you just went back to bed.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 09:08:42 PM »

So, Bushie has purged FB of all except those who support his stupid decisions. What a shock. The IT version of sticking your head in the sand. My goodness, Bushie is actually good at something. Actually, it's just an extension of his self-destruction.

Carry on.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »

Did no one tell you that when it comes to technical drawing (i.e. the trade by which you currently earn you daily bread) precision is the thing? Of course the assistant lead drafter gets at you for "every little mistake" you make. If he didn't he'd be negligent and would deserve to be fired. Mistakes in that business cost money and damage reputations. I point this out because businesses are not charities (even if some charities are businesses) which means that if you do not cease to make 'little mistakes' you will certainly be fired.

Indeed, it shows he's diligent in his job.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 08:45:56 PM »

Did no one tell you that when it comes to technical drawing (i.e. the trade by which you currently earn you daily bread) precision is the thing? Of course the assistant lead drafter gets at you for "every little mistake" you make. If he didn't he'd be negligent and would deserve to be fired. Mistakes in that business cost money and damage reputations. I point this out because businesses are not charities (even if some charities are businesses) which means that if you do not cease to make 'little mistakes' you will certainly be fired.

Indeed, it shows he's diligent in his job.

Like I said, I know and respect that he's doing his job and takes his job seriously and I know he is taking my job seriously.  If I really take a step back, I can take pride that he's so hard on me because it means he sees so much potential in me and my abilities.  I can also take comfort in that my boss, the guy whose opinion matters, is pleased with my quality of work.  I feel good about my progress and indeed I am thankful that someone actually cares enough for my contribution to the team to be hard on me.  It may be uncomfortable, but a lot of growing is uncomfortable.  You can call them growing pains.  He is helping to mold me into a great drafter who can take on a big role in a big company one day.

Not just that... it's not just about you. There is a chain of responsibility - he's making sure that those at the bottom of the process do not send work up the chain that is flawed.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »

You can't handle criticism and that's why you thought about quitting.

Would you drop that, please?  That's a non-issue.

I hate to be like this, but it's a big issue in your life....you're actually doing it right now Tongue.

What am I supposed to do?  Agree with him on something that is blatantly not true?  Since when is defending yourself against false accusation that he just concocted not taking criticism well?  I take criticism very well, but I just don't like being falsely accused.

How about accepting that you still need a lot of work on your skills. Most people would kill for the opportunity to have someone working with you - and constructive criticism is a big part of building skills. It just so happens that Bushie considers all criticism as a personal attack.

"But why aren't you encouraging me?!!"
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 09:03:54 PM »

Why are we still trying to keep Bushie working, when all evidence shows that it costs Papa Bushie countless thousands of dollars?  Have a heart. Direct Bushie back to the Train Room, so Papa can retire one day. This adventure is unsustainable and it's costing an old man everything.

Huh?  I am paying for the vast majority of my bills thank you very much.

In quantity or dollar terms?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 08:28:38 PM »

1. why are you going to tulsa
2. the problem isn't you have cable, the problem is you have premium platinum cable

1. I still technically live there and I have an apartment up there already nearly completely furnished except for computers, printer, clothes, and food.  It would save Mom and Dad $1000+ on movers.

2. Which is why I'm going to scale it back some.

Yes, but that's an upfront cost - when you're paying how much over the year to retain and service the Tulsa apartment?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »

After looking at the link again, I will say that it doesn't look like a scam, but it still looks like it wants too much experience.  I'm going to pass on that one.  I was thinking scam when the first link came up with no search results and I can't cognitively back down the requirements from the link that had an error message in the job description without proof.

Are you under-qualified?  Probably, but it isn't like we are asking you to apply for a real high position.  Just apply.  What is the worst that can happen?

He's organise the move, scout out dining options in a trip with Papa Bushie... look for nearby hotels in case of some drizzle - then he'll go to the interview.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies