Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:35:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 203946 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: November 20, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »

Lunch time.  Today has been very productive so far.  My back still hurts, but it may take time to alleviate.  I really need to lose weight.  I'm sure if I lost even 25-50 pounds, my back would feel better.  So, I am going to try to behave myself the rest of the year except for Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.  I know I'll feel better if I can get some of this weight off.

Will you exercise??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 02:37:41 PM »

I need to eat more vegetables and I will do so.  Maybe not every single meal, but most meals.  As far as exercise, I need to make the time to do it.

How do you not have time to exercise??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »

I need to eat more vegetables and I will do so.  Maybe not every single meal, but most meals.  As far as exercise, I need to make the time to do it.

How do you not have time to exercise??

That would interfere with the 6 hours of napping and 9 hours of irrelevant football games!

Hell you can exercise with some dumbbells and watch football at the same time, I do it all the time.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »

Bushie needs to start off with consistent walking before he gets into weights, Smash.

It isn't like I am asking him to start lifting heavy or anything like that, 10 pound dumbbells is all I am asking him to get.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »

This is getting boring. Bushoklahoma needs a new girl. Do you use Tinder, Bushie?

The next great update storyline.  Download it now Bushie,  its FREE
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »

No one can dismiss bowling as a meaningless activity.  It is a pretty good work out.

Bushie I bowl in leagues, a couple times a week.   Is it better than sitting on your ass?  Yes.  Is bowling a good work out?  No
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »

Praise God! He's actually doing it!

Now the questions are

1.  Will he stick with it?

2.  Will he work out?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 01:36:58 AM »

Our Dear Friend and I will be at odds this week. No, no, it's not over the Roma vs. Manchester City Champions League match; it'll be war over the Eagles vs. Cowboys exactly a week from now! Pick your sides.

The only time I can root for the Eagles, when they play the Cowboys.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »

I know I shouldn't be giving him any ideas but look at this American "masterpiece": http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-pizza-hut-doritos-crust-pizza-20141205-story.html

Something so appropriate for BushOK's tastebuds! And remember: this is something his family would consider "good" pizza! Mmmmmmm!

[Barf]

As someone who probably eats more Pizza than Bushie, I can't figure out what is worse, this on Papa John's Frito's Chilli's Pizza. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 12:35:05 PM »

I know I shouldn't be giving him any ideas but look at this American "masterpiece": http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-pizza-hut-doritos-crust-pizza-20141205-story.html

Something so appropriate for BushOK's tastebuds! And remember: this is something his family would consider "good" pizza! Mmmmmmm!

[Barf]

As someone who probably eats more Pizza than Bushie, I can't figure out what is worse, this on Papa John's Frito's Chilli's Pizza. 
The Frito's Chili Pizza was last month's promotion. They are currently offering a Philly cheesesteak pizza. Lol.

Once again  Barf
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »

I ordered a Frito Chili Pizza (like 6 weeks ago, come guys...) and it was pretty good. Probably won't order it again, and I'm not sure it should legally be called "pizza," but as a food item, I enjoyed it.

Nothing from Papa John's should be considered Pizza
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »

Is he out of a job?  Or is it just speculation?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »

Bushie, does God still literally speak to you?

He has spoken to me numerous times.  Not audibly, but through visions and dreams and the voice of others who also know and trust Him.  My cousins' do the same thing.

Oh dear....
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »

I think looking for a permanent job is a great idea. Why would you think that you need to quit your contract job in order to do it?

I'm not going to quit my job to look for another one.  The only way I'm leaving this job is when the contract ends or I find a permanent job.

Why the f*** would you need to quit your current job to look for another one??  You can look for jobs while you are still employed you know...

Don't you think it would be a good idea to get the search started now, so you aren't unemployed when the contract runs out??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »

I think looking for a permanent job is a great idea. Why would you think that you need to quit your contract job in order to do it?

I'm not going to quit my job to look for another one.  The only way I'm leaving this job is when the contract ends or I find a permanent job.

Why the f*** would you need to quit your current job to look for another one??  You can look for jobs while you are still employed you know...

Don't you think it would be a good idea to get the search started now, so you aren't unemployed when the contract runs out??

Did you even read my post?  I already answered your question.

Yes and your answer makes no sense whatsoever.   You can do both.  It isn't a one or the other option.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »

Did you even read my post?  I already answered your question.

Yes and your answer makes no sense whatsoever.   You can do both.  It isn't a one or the other option.

Again, did you read ALL of my post?  I clearly said I'm not leaving this job unless this contract ends or I find a permanent job.  This means I know it doesn't have to be one or the other.  Instead, though, words are being put in my mouth which I never said.

Your previous answers made it seem like you were NOT currently looking for another job.  Your post after this one stating you aren't going to really look until mid Feb confirms that.  You should be looking NOW that was my point.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 03:09:19 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2015, 05:33:03 PM by Smash255 »

One question, though, how am I supposed to honor face to face interviews without taking any time off work and I work 8-5?

It is a good problem to have.

Most employers are fairly flexible with the times of interviews.  You can schedule it after hours if need be (5:30. 6:00), put it on a lunch hour.

Have an interview as early in the AM as possible, and go to work in the afternoon, or after you get out.

We might get on you for taking too much time off from work, but if you are taking it off to better yourself with a full time job that is perfectly fine.  Now just don't take the time off for an interview for a sales position or call center.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 06:01:47 PM »

One question, though, how am I supposed to honor face to face interviews without taking any time off work and I work 8-5?

You make these things way too difficult. Smash summed it up pretty well -- let them know you're currently employed with little flexibility on your time off, and they'll probably be willing to schedule time either before or after-hours. Otherwise, you have a lunch-hour, right? Skip a meal and meet at noon.

You can always let your employer know that you have a personal appointment and may need a little flexibility, as well. Maybe I've worked in nothing but lax environments, but I've never asked for doctor's notes or anything "official" if someone needs to knock off an hour or two early.

Exactly, not to mention any potential employer that wants you to drop anything and everything and go into an interview the next day or no go is the hire and fire chop shops Bushie knows so well.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 10:32:31 PM »

Bushie how is the exercise coming?  By a set of dumbbells yet?  Try to do any push-ups?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 05:20:50 PM »

Grumps, it's not an actual firing, I completed the contract, but the end result is the same as what you called earlier today...

Bushie sorry to hear that, but didn't you have 2-3 months remaining on the contract?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 12:30:55 PM »

After looking at the link again, I will say that it doesn't look like a scam, but it still looks like it wants too much experience.  I'm going to pass on that one.  I was thinking scam when the first link came up with no search results and I can't cognitively back down the requirements from the link that had an error message in the job description without proof.

Are you under-qualified?  Probably, but it isn't like we are asking you to apply for a real high position.  Just apply.  What is the worst that can happen?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »

When I moved into my current apartment, the moving cost was roughly $600.  It was a much shorter distance than Bushie (only a couple miles), but also in a much more expensive area (Long Island)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 05:01:47 PM »

Oh my, so many complements the past two pages.  (I'm saying that sarcastically, of course).  I don't care what anyone else, except my parents, think.  I'm not going to go through and answer every single post since I last posted.  That would be ridiculous and time consuming.  Suffice it to say that no one can blame me for this lay off.  Everyone has to agree with the truth that it wasn't my fault.  What is more debatable, however, is that I am doing the best I can not letting it get me down.  I am doing what I feel I need to do to put myself in the best position to get a job as soon as possible.

1.  You have a history of not being completely truthful of why you have been let go of certain places in the past.  Combine that with the fact as of a few days ago you were so sure that this would last for several more months.  Not saying that what you said didn't happen (it is certainly possible with the type of contract job you had), but your own past history of being less than honest at times when discussing your job situation does make people question it.

2.  You need to get your s*** together.  Other than Customer Service/Sales or a Call center, you need to open up your job search a bit.  CAAD should be your preference, but you shouldn't just corner yourself into just that.  You should apply for jobs you think you might be under-qualified for (within reason) and jobs you think you might be overqualified for.  

3.  I'm not sure what your resume looks like, but based on your job history I'm sure it is a nightmare.  You should try going to some career center or something like that to help out with it (I did when I was out of work, and it helped, considering how much you have bounced around you could really use the help.

4.  You should take the advice you are getting here.   While we take our shots at you, yell, scream, curse, bash you or whatever, it is for a reason.  Much of it comes from frustration about your complete lack of taking any advice or listening to anyone about anything.  While well intentioned your parents advice hasn't always been the best, you need to open yourself up to more and stop closing yourself off to other things no matter if it hurts and is a shot to your pride.

5.  You need to take better care of yourself.  While from time to time you seem to be eating a little better, you aren't doing it enough.  You also need to exercise.  Unfortunately, appearance can play a role in people getting hired, and when you look like you can't take care of yourself, an employer could think you can't take care of your job.  Not to mention you are extremely unhealthy.  You have major health issues, some are a life and death issue.  I'm basically the same age as you (J-Mann is as well) I can't even imagine having a fraction of the health issues you have had at my age.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »

Oh my, so many complements the past two pages.  (I'm saying that sarcastically, of course).  I don't care what anyone else, except my parents, think.  I'm not going to go through and answer every single post since I last posted.  That would be ridiculous and time consuming.  Suffice it to say that no one can blame me for this lay off.  Everyone has to agree with the truth that it wasn't my fault.  What is more debatable, however, is that I am doing the best I can not letting it get me down.  I am doing what I feel I need to do to put myself in the best position to get a job as soon as possible.

1.  You have a history of not being completely truthful of why you have been let go of certain places in the past.  Combine that with the fact as of a few days ago you were so sure that this would last for several more months.  Not saying that what you said didn't happen (it is certainly possible with the type of contract job you had), but your own past history of being less than honest at times when discussing your job situation does make people question it.

2.  You need to get your s*** together.  Other than Customer Service/Sales or a Call center, you need to open up your job search a bit.  CAAD should be your preference, but you shouldn't just corner yourself into just that.  You should apply for jobs you think you might be under-qualified for (within reason) and jobs you think you might be overqualified for. 

3.  I'm not sure what your resume looks like, but based on your job history I'm sure it is a nightmare.  You should try going to some career center or something like that to help out with it (I did when I was out of work, and it helped, considering how much you have bounced around you could really use the help.

4.  You should take the advice you are getting here.   While we take our shots at you, yell, scream, curse, bash you or whatever, it is for a reason.  Much of it comes from frustration about your complete lack of taking any advice or listening to anyone about anything.  While well intentioned your parents advice hasn't always been the best, you need to open yourself up to more and stop closing yourself off to other things no matter if it hurts and is a shot to your pride.

5.  You need to take better care of yourself.  While from time to time you seem to be eating a little better, you aren't doing it enough.  You also need to exercise.  Unfortunately, appearance can play a role in people getting hired, and when you look like you can't take care of yourself, an employer could think you can't take care of your job.  Not to mention you are extremely unhealthy.  You have major health issues, some are a life and death issue.  I'm basically the same age as you (J-Mann is as well) I can't even imagine having a fraction of the health issues you have had at my age.

1. I understand where people are coming from considering my history, but they need to trust me on this one, as hard as it is.

2. You've "seen" me for years on Update, what would you recommend as another field?  The job fair next Thursday has a lot of job titles and drafters are only one of them.  I'll stay away from the sales and customer service related employers, but the others might be an idea.

3.  To be honest, I don't put every job on my resume.  I would never have a job if I did.  I only have five jobs on my resume - ONG, Dell, Xerox-Utah, John Shields and General Dynamics.  I'm thinking about scrapping the Utah job since it has no relevance to my current career path and goals.

4.  I just am uncomfortable taking life-altering advice from internet strangers.  Most of the advice is sound, and I do take it at times (i.e. the turkey wrap), but it's just the internet stranger thing.

5.  I know about the health.  I don't want to start another dialogue on that, so I'll leave that here.

1.  You have said that before, which is why many don't believe you.

2.  Keep your options open.  Any back office type of job, even data entry

3.  Even so having  Professional look at it, is something you should do.  I didn't have the crazy job history you have and I felt it helped my search.

4.  Uncomfortable or not, you need to.  Ignoring the advice is obviously not working

5.  You aren't doing anything though, that is the problem.  Not talking about it, isn't going to make it go away.  doing something about it, is something you need to do, and you aren't.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies