Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:16:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 203792 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: November 21, 2014, 07:55:13 AM »

That's called an etymology, Bushie, not an abbreviation.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 02:44:39 PM »

I recommend seasonal music to accompany Update:

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my Bushie gave to me:

•   12 jobs a-failing
•   11 excuses boiling
•   10 hours sleeping
•   9 pins a-falling
•   8 bowls a-gorging
•   7 games a-watching
•   6 dinners attending

•   5 GOLDEN CORRALS!

•   4 ex-fiancιs
•   3 church groups
•   2 sad dogs
•   And a sack of unused walking gear

It won't be even the first day of Christmas for another month and change. This music isn't 'seasonal'. STOP THE WAR ON ADVENT.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »

Why?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »

Why?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »

Suck it up.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »

So far today I've had a large Cortland apple, a small bowl of maple syrup yogurt, a tall glass of apple cider, two small slices of leftover olive-and-onion pizza, and a small bowl of spinach, carrot, and onion salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing. I'm thinking of having a peanut butter sandwich and a few glasses of water later in the afternoon, and for dinner I'll probably have a bowl or two of fish soup. And this isn't even me eating particularly well. Does any of that sound at all appealing to you, Bushie?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »

Update: I had the peanut butter sandwich.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 02:17:49 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2014, 04:07:58 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Ugh. This is sickening. At this point Bushie is about one step up from the average Flannery O'Connor character at the beginning of his or her respective story, spiritually speaking.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »

Ugh. This is sickening. At this point Bushie is about one step up from the average Flannery O'Connor character at the beginning of his or her respectively story, spiritually speaking.

I would say he is on par, but maybe I haven't read enough to judge it accurately.

No, you're absolutely right, I was just being charitable.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »

did he ever find out how he could break his lease in tulsa.

i know he was focused on looking in to looking in to it a few pages ago.

I don't know if he ever actually did any research, but he definitely went all in on the focus part of it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »

You can't know where you're going. Nobody can. What you're describing is a living hope.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »

Let me reiterate, guys, I am not scared of death, nor should I be.  Nathan, I believe one can know definitively about their own salvation.  God doesn't want us to live in fear and wonder all our lives IF we will go to heaven or not.  He gives us the ability and the grace to know that we know that we know where we will spend eternity.  God is not the author of fear.  He is the author of peace.  The hymn says "Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine.  O what a foretaste of glory divine.  Heir of salvation, purchase of God.  Born of His spirit, washed in His blood.  This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long.  This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long."  That hymn tells it like it is.  That doesn't sound like fear and wonder to me, that sounds like complete assurance and absolute peace.

Carrying a living hope rather than a dead certainty is not 'fear', Bushie, it's just humility.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »

Let me reiterate, guys, I am not scared of death, nor should I be.  Nathan, I believe one can know definitively about their own salvation.  God doesn't want us to live in fear and wonder all our lives IF we will go to heaven or not.  He gives us the ability and the grace to know that we know that we know where we will spend eternity.  God is not the author of fear.  He is the author of peace.  The hymn says "Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine.  O what a foretaste of glory divine.  Heir of salvation, purchase of God.  Born of His spirit, washed in His blood.  This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long.  This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long."  That hymn tells it like it is.  That doesn't sound like fear and wonder to me, that sounds like complete assurance and absolute peace.

Carrying a living hope rather than a dead certainty is not 'fear', Bushie, it's just humility.

Look at this response.  Nathan, you might be irritated with how I go about being anti-religion or irreligious... but please tell me you at least "get it". 

Yeah. I do. Bushie's beliefs make strange bedfellows.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »

Look at this response.  Nathan, you might be irritated with how I go about being anti-religion or irreligious... but please tell me you at least "get it". 

Yeah. I do. Bushie's beliefs make strange bedfellows.

Are you referring to yourself and Bushie both being classified as "Christians"? 

That, and you and I both being classified as 'people who are appalled by Bushie's bullsh**t piety'.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »

Advent is also a penitential season, but I doubt Bushie or his church will be giving that much thought.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »

Advent is also a penitential season, but I doubt Bushie or his church will be giving that much thought.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »

Advent and Christmas are the same seasons.

What? No they're not.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, you shouldn't be because that's not what Advent is there for. It's an entire liturgical season dedicated specifically to the fact that it is not yet Christmas.

...you know what? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »

The abandonment of the liturgical year and the penitential seasons is all part and parcel of the same complex of bad, self-destructive theology as all the other [Inks]-ed up attributes and beliefs that Bushie insists there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 10:30:05 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2014, 10:38:33 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Advent and Christmas are the same seasons.

What? No they're not.

Well, you shouldn't be because that's not what Advent is there for. It's an entire liturgical season dedicated specifically to the fact that it is not yet Christmas.

...you know what? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

As Ebenezer Scrooge said in the Muppet Christmas Carol - "You keep Christmas in your own way and let me keep it in mine."

Bad theology is everyone's problem.

Anyway, I'm going to keep Christmas ADVENT by posting a beautiful, spiritually and aesthetically fulfilling Advent hymn or carol in this thread for every day of Advent I remember to. Starting off: 'Joseph est bien marié' ('Joseph is well-married') by the eighteenth-century French composer Claude Balbastre.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 11:16:13 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2014, 11:19:25 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Advent and Christmas are the same seasons.  By celebrating Advent, we are celebrating Christmas and vice-versa.  It's like Lent and Easter, they are one in the same.  You're right, though, Southern Baptists don't generally celebrate either Advent or Lent.  It doesn't make us wrong.

Celebrating Christmas without Advent and Easter without Lent is celebrating the feast without the fast, it's like the Resurrection without the Cross, the birth without the labor, and the victory without the battle. Not to pick on you in particular Bushie since you're far from the only one who sees it this way, but how are we going to build a Christian culture of virtue upon self-denial if we throw out all the parts of Christianity that deal with that?

What you and Nathan seem to be suggesting is that we shouldn't be listening to Christmas music or celebrating Christmas in any way but for a couple days each year?

Christmas last almost two weeks, Bushie. That's no small amount of time for festivities. You can even make a case from tradition for dragging it out until around the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord if you really want to.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »

Bushie, this is not 'Nam, this is religion. There are rules.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 12:36:37 AM »

Like I said, in Bushie's case--this obviously isn't the case for everybody, but in Bushie's case--the rejection of the liturgical year and in particular of the penitential seasons is part and parcel of the same complex of terrible theology that is ruining his life, and by extensions the lives of his loved ones.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 01:40:35 AM »

But you don't seem to celebrate them fervently. You seem to celebrate them rather torpidly, in ways that betray enormous amounts of anomie.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »

Like I said, in Bushie's case--this obviously isn't the case for everybody, but in Bushie's case--the rejection of the liturgical year and in particular of the penitential seasons is part and parcel of the same complex of terrible theology that is ruining his life, and by extensions the lives of his loved ones.
If only Bushie were Catholic (or Episcopal or Whatever) his life would be saved and he would be a totally upstanding person Roll Eyes

I have you on ignore now but I clicked 'show' because normally your posts in the Update threads are...tolerable, occasionally even insightful. Imagine my disappointment when this is what I found. Putting it simply: That's not what I said, moron.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »

Personally?  No Nathan.  No it is not.  

In the idea that you religiouses ruin everything?  Yea, sure.  I don't even think "everything" is a stretch.  Talk to me when one of you nutjobs gets their hands on a nuke.  Everything will quite literally be ruined, no?

Can we please continue the ceasefire we had going a few pages ago? We are (or should be) on basically the same side for Update purposes.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies