Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:37:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping  (Read 203892 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: November 25, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »

When did you last try them? When you were a child? Palates change as you get older. I'd also point out that there are tomatoes and tomatoes; cherry tomatoes taste like a slighty tart fruit (mostly because that's exactly what they are) for instance. Very different from big watery things. And uncooked baby spinach is very different to cooked spinach; it's like a delicate (and very tasty) piece of lettuce.

Anyway, what fruit and what veg do you like? Because it's little changes like this that can make a real difference to the quality of your diet. You need the nutrients and (frankly) also the roughage. If you were to do something as simple as (say) mainlining on apples or cherries, that would be a huge step forward.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »

Bushie, do you like tuna at all? A tuna sandwich (or baguette or filled roll or whatever) makes for a light and filling midday meal and is pretty healthy all told.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 01:51:28 PM »

Imagine how much weight Bushie would lose if he converted to Islam and observed Ramadan.

None whatsoever. Do you have any idea how much sugar is usually consumed after nightfall... or at Eid, which is sometimes known as the Sugar Feast and with good reason? Come to think of it, Bushie would love Eid...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 01:54:49 PM »

Pakistan has sugar shortages every year when Eid comes round and the government (of whatever hue; PML, PPP, Military...) always gets terrified of riots if it runs out. Just saying...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 02:10:38 PM »

Honour your father and your mother implies grandparents as well, doesn't it?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 12:17:57 PM »

I checked on how to terminate the lease early and it's not easy to do.  I would still have to give 60-day's notice and be responsible for rent until someone moves in plus an extra month.

What sort of insane lease did you sign up for? Well what's done and rashly agreed to is done and rashly agreed to. But in any case what you describe is hardly difficult; you just have to give notice to the landlord and move out and then sort out any outstanding rental payments. Given that this is Tulsa (a prosperous city of around 400,000 souls) the landlord is unlikely to have difficulty finding another tenant (who would presumably charge a slightly higher rent to than he charged you, because that's what tends to happen). And then it is done and you have no more payments (rental, utilities, huge fuel bills from driving over to the place etc) to worry about.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why would you pay your rent at the start of the month when you don't even live there?

Why would you need to hire movers, why would you need to put things in storage? If this was an unfurnished let that you then furnished yourself, then just sell the furniture. If it was a furnished let, then you won't have much to move out anyway. I would suggest (anyway) that you would be better just hiring a van and doing any moving yourself; much cheaper.

It is currently the beginning of DECEMBER. Late March is eons away. Just give notice now; right this minute. Email the landlord or ring him up.

YOU DO NOT LIVE THERE AND WILL NOT BE MOVING BACK SO THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO POINT - NO POINT WHATSOEVER - IN RENEWING YOUR LEASE. IT WOULD ALSO MEAN THAT THE PAYMENTS WOULD NOT STOP. AND NEITHER WOULD YOUR UTILITIES BILLS. IF YOU RENEW YOUR LEASE YOU MIGHT AS WELL TAKEN A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS OUT OF YOUR FATHERS BANK ACCOUNT AND SET FIRE TO THEM. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT DO THAT.

Stop dithering and give your landlord notice. Then it would be done and you could move on with your life. And a major source of guilt (and nagging here) would be gone. You would feel better, I'm sure of it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 08:17:34 PM »

Alright, I've had enough, guys.  I'm done being treated like crap on this forum.

As you have often said. But please listen to me: I am just trying to save you money. A lot of money, actually. Thousands of dollars, Jeff. Thousands.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »

So it's your money that you're figuratively setting fire to? Less morally questionable, but still not good.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 09:11:15 PM »

Well, yeah. You're a terrible Christian.

Please cite multiple specific examples and back them up with some sort of argument. I would be very interested in hearing your views on this, 'Reverend'.

Protip: you can't be a 'false prophet' if you've never claimed to be a Prophet.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »

Look, fellas, I'm just telling you what I believe. 

And we are asking for details, 'Reverend'.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 01:28:26 PM »

And details are not what you are going to receive.

Why not, 'Reverend'?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 12:32:56 PM »

I have a question for the 'Reverend' Bushie. What lessons can be drawn from the kingship of Hezekiah?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »

I was raised to believe that Christianity is fundamentally about how you live your life (i.e. that you lead it according to the teachings of Jesus). I will note at this point that the Gospels are full of declamations against religious hypocrisy. How does the 'Reverend' Bushie feel about this?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 07:43:49 PM »

Hezekiah was a godly king.  He feared God and brought the nation of Judah back to worshipping God.  His faith was spot on.  However, he was careless with Judah's money.  He showed the king of Assyria, who had already taken Israel captive, Judah's war chest.  Babylon got word of this and eventually conquered Judah and took her captive before releasing her 70 years later.  They destroyed King Solomon's temple in the process.  Hezekiah also racked up Judah's debt, much like what Presidents Bush and Obama have done with America.  The lesson for us today is that while our faith may be spot on, we must still exercise common sense in all areas of our lives.  God calls us to be on mission for Him, but He is also a logical God.  He calls us to be responsible and frugal when we need to be responsible and frugal while at the same time giving generously.  Basically, don't show your hand to your sworn enemies.  You are asking for trouble.

I've not come across this interpretation before. In some respects its quite at odds with how Hezekiah is traditionally viewed.

Really?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »

I think thats mostly because they tend to be very good bakers, actually...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 02:18:02 PM »

Have you got rid of the Tulsa flat yet?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »

Did no one tell you that when it comes to technical drawing (i.e. the trade by which you currently earn you daily bread) precision is the thing? Of course the assistant lead drafter gets at you for "every little mistake" you make. If he didn't he'd be negligent and would deserve to be fired. Mistakes in that business cost money and damage reputations. I point this out because businesses are not charities (even if some charities are businesses) which means that if you do not cease to make 'little mistakes' you will certainly be fired.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 07:04:22 PM »

Every professional environment expects perfection, Bushie.

And especially this one!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 08:19:20 PM »

I know my field demands perfection and he needs to point out the mistakes, but he doesn't need to make me feel small over said errors.

He's not trying to make you feel small (well he might be, but that won't be the main reason) he's trying to get you to improve. Because you'll be fired unless you do. Never forget that teaching involves pointing out errors; it isn't personal, it's practical. You're a novice. You need training up. So would anyone else. So pay attention when you're told you've done something wrong; he's actually doing you a favour.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »

Why would moving cost you a thousand dollars? All you need to do is hire a van. Do you own all of the furniture & etc in there? If so, sell it. Problem solved and money saved.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies