Former Virginia Senator Jim Webb launches exploratory committee!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:50:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Former Virginia Senator Jim Webb launches exploratory committee!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Former Virginia Senator Jim Webb launches exploratory committee!  (Read 5592 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »

Do people here legitimately think Webb has a shot? LOL

Of course not. But it was inevitable that the media and the anti-Hillary people would immediately embrace and orgasm over the first Democrat who wasn't Hillary to declare. In fact, maybe that's why Webb announced first. He probably knew he'd get no attention whatsoever if he announced after Bernie Sanders or Martin O'Malley.

It's obvious that you only oppose Webb because he's a non-denomentational Christian.  Where was your outrage over Tom Vilsack running against Hillary in 2008?  Where was your outrage over Mitt Romney running against Hillary in 2008?  Where was your outrage about Jonathan Tasini running against Hillary in 2006?  Where was your outrage when John Kerry ran instead of Hillary in 2004?  Where was your outrage about Rick Lazio running against Hillary in 2000?  Show me specific posts documenting your outrage in each of these instances Angry  Perhaps you might be more comfortable with a blue-avatar (then again, I doubt even the Republicans would wage such an appalling smear campaign simply to defeat the first non-denomential Christian President).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »

Of course not. But it was inevitable that the media and the anti-Hillary people would immediately embrace and orgasm over the first Democrat who wasn't Hillary to declare. In fact, maybe that's why Webb announced first. He probably knew he'd get no attention whatsoever if he announced after Bernie Sanders or Martin O'Malley.

It's obvious that you only oppose Webb because he's a non-denomentational Christian.  Where was your outrage over Tom Vilsack running against Hillary in 2008?  Where was your outrage over Mitt Romney running against Hillary in 2008?  Where was your outrage about Jonathan Tasini running against Hillary in 2006?  Where was your outrage when John Kerry ran instead of Hillary in 2004?  Where was your outrage about Rick Lazio running against Hillary in 2000?  Show me specific posts documenting your outrage in each of these instances Angry  Perhaps you might be more comfortable with a blue-avatar (then again, I doubt even the Republicans would wage such an appalling smear campaign simply to defeat the first non-denomential Christian President).

LOL.

I actually have bashed Tasini and Lazio on here. Kerry and Romney never ran against Hillary, and Vilsack was too irrelevant to bash.

Anyway, I know you're kidding, but I'm not even "outraged" about Webb running. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I hope he sells a lot of books. He deserves it for beating Macaca.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »

LOL.

I actually have bashed Tasini and Lazio on here. Kerry and Romney never ran against Hillary, and Vilsack was too irrelevant to bash.

Anyway, I know you're kidding, but I'm not even "outraged" about Webb running. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I hope he sells a lot of books. He deserves it for beating Macaca.

I'm pretty sure Romney ran against Hillary in 2008 Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2014, 04:57:25 PM »

LOL.

I'm pretty sure Romney ran against Hillary in 2008 Tongue

Did he? I didn't really follow the 2008 GOP primary, but I'd imagine they were too focused on their own contests to worry about the candidates in the Democratic primary.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »

Lol. All of Hillary's actual electoral opponents have been too irrelevant to bash except for Rudy Giuliani in 2000, John Edwards, Barack Obama. Most here were too young for the 2000 Senate campaign. The worst that could be said about John Edwards at the time was that he was a hypocrite. And some of us actually liked and still like Barack Obama.

As for Webb, we're only talking about him because there's nothing else to talk about. I'm not sure pointing out that there are anybody But Hillary people out there who will automatically flock to any candidate who opposes her constitutes "bashing" Webb. He's not a bad guy, he's just not a good fit for the nom. Wink
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2014, 05:07:15 PM »

No... the worst thing you could say about Edwards at that time was that he was an empty suit - no substance what so ever. That's what the press came to find out toward the end of his 2004 campaign.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2014, 12:53:31 AM »

Webb can have some appeal but he is going to have to deal with a couple of issues. One is that he voted against the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007, essentially being the deciding vote killing the Bill (which puts him to the right of GW Bush). The other is that he has spoken out against affirmative action.

Deciding vote?
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00235

Vote Counts: YEAs 46
 NAYs 53
 Not Voting 1

It couldn't even get a majority.

And Webb was hardly alone amongs Democrats:
Baucus (D-MT), Nay
Bayh (D-IN), Nay
Bingaman (D-NM), Nay
Brown (D-OH), Nay
Byrd (D-WV), Nay
Dorgan (D-ND), Nay
Harkin (D-IA), Nay
Landrieu (D-LA), Nay
McCaskill (D-MO), Nay
Nelson (D-NE), Nay
Pryor (D-AR), Nay
Rockefeller (D-WV), Nay
Sanders (I-VT), Nay
Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
Tester (D-MT), Nay
Webb (D-VA), Nay
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2014, 01:06:04 AM »

An "interesting in retrospect" column from one Jim Webb from way back in 1979:

http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/people/jim-webb-women-cant-fight/
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2014, 01:10:31 AM »

I want to like Webb, but I'm not sure I can vote for him.  I can post a link later if anyone's interested, but I believe I once read that he's written some pretty sketchy stuff about the the run-up to the Civil War and the Confederacy (including that he was at least somewhat supportive of "popular sovergnity" and implying that the South had a right to secede, IIRC).  I hope it was distorted or taken out-of-context somehow because as I said earlier, there is a lot to like about Webb.  However, if the article was right, then that's a deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned.

Yes I do recall that as well regarding the right to secede.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 07:03:31 AM »

This is Tim and Eric's strangest project yet.

wwwwebb2016dotcom
Let's fix our country

together
Anonymouse
Rookie
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »

I want to like Webb, but I'm not sure I can vote for him.  I can post a link later if anyone's interested, but I believe I once read that he's written some pretty sketchy stuff about the the run-up to the Civil War and the Confederacy (including that he was at least somewhat supportive of "popular sovergnity" and implying that the South had a right to secede, IIRC).  I hope it was distorted or taken out-of-context somehow because as I said earlier, there is a lot to like about Webb.  However, if the article was right, then that's a deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned.

What do you think of Webb? He seems like a Democrat you would like and respect, if not necessarily ote for.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »

"Public servant - WARRIOR - etc"?
Anonymouse
Rookie
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »

Just for the record, since it appears some people here like posting things out of context:

We haven’t been perfect and from time to time, as with today, we have drifted to the fringes of allowing the very inequalities that our Constitution was supposed to prevent. Walk into some of our inner cities if you dare, and see the stagnation, poverty, crime, and lack of opportunity that still affects so many African Americans. Or travel to the Appalachian Mountains, where my own ancestors settled and whose cultural values I still share, and view the poorest counties in America – who happen to be more than 90 percent White, and who live in the reality that “if you’re poor and White you’re out of sight.”

The Democratic Party used to be the place where people like these could come not for a handout but for an honest handshake, good full-time jobs, quality education, health care they can afford, and the vital, overriding belief that we’re all in this together and the system is not rigged.

That sounds like a Republican, right? Roll Eyes
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2014, 01:12:29 PM by Mehmentum »

I'd considered voting for him, if the primary somehow got to my state.  He makes a very good point about Appalachian whites.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2014, 01:50:56 AM »

Two more Webb nuggets: He apparently refused to "shake John Kerry's hand for 20 years" because of Kerry's anti-Vietnam War activities, though did end up voting for him in 2004:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/28/AR2006042801994.html

And on climate change:

http://grist.org/politics/jim-webb-sucks-on-climate-change/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2014, 01:55:29 AM »

What do you think of Webb? He seems like a Democrat you would like and respect, if not necessarily ote for.

Why, in your opinion, does he seem that way? What makes him seem to be someone I would respect? Not that I am expressing doubt, just genuinely curious here.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2014, 01:57:26 AM »

Two more Webb nuggets: He apparently refused to "shake John Kerry's hand for 20 years" because of Kerry's anti-Vietnam War activities, though did end up voting for him in 2004:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/28/AR2006042801994.html

And on climate change:

The liberal champion we've all been waiting for!

At this rate he might be able to win the West Virginia and Oklahoma primaries.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2014, 02:01:06 AM »

And on climate change:

Considering we had $4.00 a gallon gas, persuing anything other then investment in efficiency and alterantives was a mistake and the focus should have been to short term to alleviate that cost by boosting production (which in hindsight was not the impossibility people thought it was then), with efficiency in the pipeline medium term and alternatives ready to be deployed when such regulations came to be long term.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2014, 02:27:57 AM »

To elaborate on the climate change thing:

http://articles.dailypress.com/2011-04-11/news/dp-nws-environotebook-0412-20110411_1_global-warming-offshore-drilling-bill-intergovernmental-panel

And then in 2011, he "called on Obama to open Virginia's coast to oil and natural gas exploration."

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2014, 02:33:34 AM »

I am reminded of something Babara Boxer said last week about the Keystone bill in a manner of trying to say something nice but instead managing to insult Mary Landrieu.

Paraphrasing, "The Democrats are a big tent, we have people who represent the 'big-oil agenda', people who are all of the above, and people who fighting for alternative energy..."
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2014, 02:56:55 AM »

One thing is sure: Webb would have been the 60th vote Mary needed.
Anonymouse
Rookie
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »

Why, in your opinion, does he seem that way? What makes him seem to be someone I would respect? Not that I am expressing doubt, just genuinely curious here.

Intuition? He is one of the very few prominent politicians in either party who is a genuine product of white working-class culture and his values reflect that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2014, 12:46:19 AM »

Webb's record on Israel is attacked by a former head of AIPAC:

http://jpupdates.com/2014/11/21/2016-webbs-israel-record-already-called-question/

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2014, 01:08:56 AM »

Webb's record on Israel is attacked by a former head of AIPAC:

http://jpupdates.com/2014/11/21/2016-webbs-israel-record-already-called-question/

Wow, between that and the following (on his Wiki page), Webb sounds pretty awesome on foreign policy.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2014, 08:07:47 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Intuition? He is one of the very few prominent politicians in either party who is a genuine product of white working-class culture and his values reflect that.

90% of such politicians are corrupt filth and/or populist demogogues. I have zero interest in a campaign who caters WWC culture, I am interested in a politician that understands economics and implements policies in the context of how best to aid working and middle class people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds.

I am also interested in seeing the Democratic Party return to its roots, at least to some extent when it comes to advocating for the interest of the common man against the elites, as opposed to a party of out of touch elitists whose only answer to poor people voting against them is that they must be too dumb to realize how awesome they are meanwhile they try to outbid Republicans in sucking up to Wall Street so they will fill Hillary's coffers.

Even though I would like this to ocme to pass, I am a Republican would likely remain such unless something extremely crazy were to happen, even if the Democrats went this route.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies