People of the Republic of Atlasia vs. Alfred F. Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:34:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  People of the Republic of Atlasia vs. Alfred F. Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: People of the Republic of Atlasia vs. Alfred F. Jones  (Read 3057 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »

Supreme Court of Atlasia
Nyman, DC

People of the Republic of Atlasia v. Alfred F. Jones

Sentencing.

(The presiding judge, Justice Oakvale, sentenced the defendant after he plead guilty to the charges against him.)

The Court has heard both the defendant and the prosecution regarding sentencing in this matter, and thanks both sides for their willingness to actively participate in this case. The co-operation shown by the defendant and his counsel has been most helpful.

As I said in the sentencing of Mr. Snowstalker, treason is perhaps the most serious crime an Atlasian citizen can commit, and represents not just an attack on a government, or even a nation, but the fundamental bedrock principles of democracy. I continued to note that it is for this reason that it is the only crime against the state for which legislation allows the Court to impose severe sentences on the perpetrators.

However, there are to my view clear difference between this case and the trial of Mr. Snowstalker. While Mr. Jones similarly exploited the environment of confusion and chaos to attempt to secede from the state, and threatened violence against government forces as the leader of a rebelling army, it is also the case that since the conclusion of negotiations to restore peace to Atlasia, he has lived in relative isolation - and peacefulness - in a pseudo-nation in the Pacific ocean, and has not issued any further diatribes or threats against the state. Similarly, I look favourably upon his willingness to co-operate with this process, in contrast to Mr. Snowstalker who publicly challenged the legitimacy of the Court. It is thus my considered opinion that the sentencing should be, while strict, significantly more lenient.

Alfred F. Jones, having not contested the charges of rebellion, secession and terrorism against him, is hereby sentenced  to a ban of six months on voting in elections in Atlasia, as outlined in the plea deal accepted by the Court, and to a ban on holding office in Atlasia for two years.

*bangs gavel*
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »

I thank the court for its verdict and the defendant as well as his legal counsel for their cooperation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies