Youth Employment Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:41:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Youth Employment Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Youth Employment Act (Passed)  (Read 5279 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« on: November 20, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »

I'm very interested in hearing the sponsor's argumentation for this bill... Where I am from, child labor under 15 is illegal, and I'm kind of not the biggest opponent to it.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 05:21:03 AM »

Yeah, Bore's and BK's position seems reasonable. We could amend the act in question so that includes provisions for them to work that number of hours per week, but that it could maybe bo put together so he works in a summer job four weeks thirty hours or whatever, but then is not allowed to work for an amount of weeks, until he has enough "not worked" hours to come up with the seventy hours or whatever he worked too much in summer... I hope you can understand what I wrote there, I can't find an easier way for me to put it Tongue

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »

I'll just go on and provide this amendment:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:16:01 AM »

Sections three and five will need amended before I can give this bill my full support. Section five would have a teenager getting better pay (in a restaurant) than the typical adult resturant employee.

19.00*25.00 = 475 for a teenage part time employee
25*10 = 250 for a full time adult employee

That's during the five week summers they're allowed such hours.

If a teen does that just once that will give the teen an annual income of 5,952.00$ Atlasian Dollars. With the lion share of that being made in the summer. If a teen does it twice they make 7,942.00 AD. If you add even that for the Christmas/Winter break it will exceed the average income of a full time adult in the same position not including potential paid vacation benefits. Allowing such a high minimum wage would be highly damaging to adults trying to maintain hours worked for those benefits to work most effectively.

Clause 3 is in the current version of the bill.
I can see your opposition to Clause 5, but just remember that by 2018, the federal minimum wage will be $18.00. I felt that minors should get more than that, but I am willing to skip that part totally.

Hostile.

Two oppositions from this amendment:
1) The first is that Ii really oppose child labor in any form. I don't believe a 15-years-old, someone whodoesn't have the legal age of majority, should work. They should focuse on their study. If they absolutely need money, I would prefer helping their parents by child allowance, etc,...
2) I would like the federal minimum wage to be respected. Ii don't see why these people should get a higher minimum wage than the other workers.

It's quite a common practice for teenagers of that age to get summer jobs. I would say let them, if they want to, this can really be a great experience - I had one last summer, too (admitedly I was 16 then, but still), and it certainly didn't hurt me. The thing is that we need to look carefully that their education is not disturbed by it, which this amendment prohibits.
As I said, I am willing to skip the part with the higher minimum wage.

AYE
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:28:56 AM »

Regarding Senator Polnut's critique, I would very much appreciate it if someone came and cleared up some of the language to make it less fluffy and less subjective. Writing bills in a foreign language isn't really my strength Tongue
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Vice President.

This looks very good to me, bore. Thank you!

I would say so. The limits enforced here are pretty strict. Maybe an additional clause in the sense of "this act shall not be interpreted to prohibit actors, musicians, artists whatever under the age of sixteen to pursue their profession/art/whatever" ?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »

As I already stated, I will definetely support this.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »

Aye
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »

Really I'm quite shocked by this piece of legislation.

I guess this is because I live in France?

Windjammer, we are not introducing child labor. We are allowing to let them have a summer job, which is as far as I know, common practice in about every European state, and I would be very surprised if such would be prohibited in France.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 08:49:43 AM »

NAY

10 hours is definitely too much if the person in question has to concentrate on school stuff as well...
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 06:43:06 AM »

NAY

10 hours is definitely too much if the person in question has to concentrate on school stuff as well...

I beg to differ. Some of my younger siblings maintained jobs while in high school in addition to extra-curricular activities. It can be done in the right circumstances. I fully agree having an academic standard to work.

I don't say that it can't be done in the right circumstances. If one has the support at home one needs, one can surely accomplish many things others wouldn't be able to accomplish.
But yeah, such an academic standard as Senator TNF proposed would be a good solution to this problem.
I am also okay with the 15 year limit, so I will support TNF's amendment.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 04:05:24 PM »

Aye
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »

I second this motion.