Youth Employment Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:50:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Youth Employment Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Youth Employment Act (Passed)  (Read 5285 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 20, 2014, 06:53:54 PM »

I really wish Senators would submit legislation that has a hope of passing.

Enabling child labour is not empowering them. What empowers youth is education, not being sent out to work.

What is wrong in the left's mind with teens having part-time jobs? While I agree with Senator Polnut on education empowering our youth, working provides valuable life experience that shouldn't be denied to 14 and 15 year olds that education can't totally provide.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »

I really wish Senators would submit legislation that has a hope of passing.

Enabling child labour is not empowering them. What empowers youth is education, not being sent out to work.

What is wrong in the left's mind with teens having part-time jobs? While I agree with Senator Polnut on education empowering our youth, working provides valuable life experience that shouldn't be denied to 14 and 15 year olds that education can't totally provide.

Because this is not about empowering youth, this is about businesses being able to hire young people and slave-wage rates.

That is where you have it all wrong. Be open to Deus's more detailed argument that is soon in coming.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:33:06 AM »

Most countries have a cut-off of 14 years and nine months (give or take).

As long as there are very clear parameters, maximum hours and minimum rates of pay and conditions.

I believe it's important to give kids an understanding of the dignity of work. I will not do anything that enables workplaces to hire young people because of lower pay and conditions.

A young person's priority should be their education, we cannot allow a situation where kids sacrifice their opportunities for a better life in the long-term.

That I think we can find come common ground on.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 06:51:20 PM by Senator JCL and the geologist »

Sections three and five will need amended before I can give this bill my full support. Section five would have a teenager getting better pay (in a restaurant) than the typical adult resturant employee.

19.00*25.00 = 475 for a teenage part time employee
25*10 = 250 for a full time adult employee

That's during the five week summers they're allowed such hours.

If a teen does that just once that will give the teen an annual income of 5,952.00$ Atlasian Dollars. With the lion share of that being made in the summer. If a teen does it twice they make 7,942.00 AD. If you add even that for the Christmas/Winter break it will exceed the average income of a full time adult in the same position not including potential paid vacation benefits. Allowing such a high minimum wage would be highly damaging to adults trying to maintain hours worked for those benefits to work most effectively.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »

Nay
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »

Nay
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »

Offering this as an amendment:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

My proposed amendment
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »

NAY

10 hours is definitely too much if the person in question has to concentrate on school stuff as well...

I beg to differ. Some of my younger siblings maintained jobs while in high school in addition to extra-curricular activities. It can be done in the right circumstances. I fully agree having an academic standard to work.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 03:11:12 PM »

NAY

10 hours is definitely too much if the person in question has to concentrate on school stuff as well...

I beg to differ. Some of my younger siblings maintained jobs while in high school in addition to extra-curricular activities. It can be done in the right circumstances. I fully agree having an academic standard to work.

I don't say that it can't be done in the right circumstances. If one has the support at home one needs, one can surely accomplish many things others wouldn't be able to accomplish.
But yeah, such an academic standard as Senator TNF proposed would be a good solution to this problem.
I am also okay with the 15 year limit, so I will support TNF's amendment.

I'm fine with that. Disappointed the amendments allowing for more hours to work. Four hours is just too few in a week.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 03:21:20 PM »

Reducing hours for teens to work is not what we need to be considering. As such I must object. The parts regarding academic standards are not objected to.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 02:22:16 AM »

Nay
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »

Nay, four hours is too few. I like what is being done here regarding focusing on education but four hours a week during the week is just too few to merit my support.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 07:42:19 PM »

Nay, four hours is too few. I like what is being done here regarding focusing on education but four hours a week during the week is just too few to merit my support.

Do you realise that this bill is closer to your position than the present law?

There was enough negative to warrant a nay. Section Three was a no go for me. There are historical exemptions for said busisnesses effected in the section. Yes, many things were good but there was just too much I couldn't back. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies