Do you approve of Obama's executive orders on immigration?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:41:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you approve of Obama's executive orders on immigration?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Strongly Approve

Approve

Disapprove

Strongly Disapprove

Unsure/Neutral/No opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Do you approve of Obama's executive orders on immigration?  (Read 2107 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:42:18 PM »

Now that the exact plans have been officially announced, it's time for a fresh poll.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:46:01 PM »

Immigration was never really an issue I cared much about but policy decisions should not be made by one person.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 12:00:35 AM »

Strongly approve. 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 01:26:02 AM »

Strongly approve.  He's one of the greats, that Obama. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 01:51:57 AM »

Immigration was never really an issue I cared much about but policy decisions should not be made by one person.

Well, that's kind of impossible when you have a unitary executive...

Obviously I strongly approve. This is one of the best things a president has done in a very long time. He's incredibly brave, he's helped millions of lives with a stroke of the pen, and I will support him as the xenophobes lash out against him in racist rage.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:09:28 AM »

Strongly approve
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 02:38:02 AM »

Approve, seeing as how Congress has shown itself to be playing games for the last 6 years rather than actually doing anything about this issue.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 06:22:13 AM »

Very strongly approve.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 07:59:06 AM »

Strongly disapprove. Obama is NOT my president.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 08:20:42 AM »

Approve but I was really hoping Congress would do this. I think this may be in right to do anyway even. It's close but it seems like he is enforcing the law. It's the same thing as granting a pardon.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 08:46:02 AM »

Approve but I was really hoping Congress would do this. I think this may be in right to do anyway even. It's close but it seems like he is enforcing the law. It's the same thing as granting a pardon.
It's similar, but not the same thing.  It would be the same if he ordered that prior violations of immigration law would not affect their ability to legally immigrate.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Boy it must be nice to live in a country where you can say this without being hanged for treason.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 11:22:17 AM »

If you are an American citizen and the President in question has been legitimately elected, then he is "your" President.

Anyways strongly approve
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »

Strongly Approve
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 12:54:52 PM »

Intensely greatly very strongly approve
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »

If America is a chain-smoker, does it approve strongly of chemotherapy R&D?

People never question the absurdity of the situation. Why are millions of illegals coming across the border? If a larger labor force makes America more wealthy, why are so many Americans opposed to 1900s immigration policy?

First, Mexico is a hole, and most Americans don't care, which is about as smart as not caring if your neighbor turns his residence into a crack house. Second, Americans are angry about immigration because we can't even put our own citizens to work, and our entitlements are so bad that more people actually makes our financial problems more acute.

Rather than fixing problems we try to treat the symptoms. How do you suppose that is going to play out? We tried to treat the symptoms 30 years ago, too.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 01:22:36 PM »

Boy it must be nice to live in a country where you can say this without being hanged for treason.

Unfortunately, he probably lives out in the Arkansan sticks where he'd be hanged for thinking about evolution.

RIP : (
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 02:04:02 PM »

Unfortunately, he probably lives out in the Arkansan sticks where he'd be hanged for thinking about evolution.

RIP : (
What does "beyond Truth and Ideals" mean?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »

Disapprove
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 02:26:52 PM »

If you are an American citizen and the President in question has been legitimately elected, then he is "your" President.

Anyways strongly approve

If Obama refuses to recognize the interests of the American people, I refuse to recognize his presidency.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 03:09:08 PM »

Well, that's kind of impossible when you have a unitary executive...

In what sense? (The "strong" sense, or the "weak" sense?)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 03:11:20 PM »

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »

Approve, and it's worth noting that this never would have happened without continued pressure from organized immigrant activists. I will say, however, that it ultimately doesn't go far enough. A general amnesty for all of the undocumented would have been a bolder move that would have done more to solve this problem than what Obama offered the nation last night.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2014, 10:50:53 PM by Branden Cordeiro »

Somewhat disapprove, I disagree with the way he did it, and the executive action doesn't go far enough securing our border with Mexico, which makes me hesitant to support the other aspects of the law, which I would otherwise gladly embrace.

I still think the order is against Article 1, Section 8, Clause 4 of the Constitution, which gives Congress the authority to enforce immigration laws. The fact he didn't wait for the new Congress to be sworn in, which I think would have passed a new immigration bill, is obviously a political stunt and people thinking it is anything else is delusional. It was ridiculous hearing him telling Congress to "pass a bill" (which I agree with) if they disagree with him, when he failed to do so when his party held both the House and Senate during the first couple years of his Presidency. I find it interesting he voted against immigration reform in 2007, as well, which was probably done with similar political motivation as Tea Party Republicans failing to vote on the Gang of 8 Immigration Bill. Politifact rated John McCain's statement that Senator Obama was in favor of an amendment "gutting the legal temporary worker system" as mostly true. So it is hypocritical of him trying to look like a great hero to immigration reform, and I hope people realize that.

But, as someone that is in favor of the notion of giving temporary work visas to illegal immigrants whose children were born here, have children, have been in the country for at least 5 years as long as they pass background checks, have no criminal records, are forced to pay a fine for breaking law and are added to the tax base of the country; I support the overall action. This allows us to focus our authority on deporting criminals, and helps our economy by giving entrepreneurs the right to contribute to our economy, give those illegal immigrants the opportunity to earn a living, which therefore leads to them contributing to the American economy. The added tax revenue this would create is an a lot better investment for the country than spending the money on rounding up and deporting these families, as someone that wants to reduce government spending, this is something I can support. From what I have read, the law does not give those who are granted temporary visas government subsidies, which is the correct way to handle it.

I don't think the legislation goes far enough protecting the border, I would like states to have an increased role protecting the border, as they have better idea of the hot spots than the federal government. The fence needs upgrades in certain sections of the border crossing. Strengthening our border security is supported by man sheriffs across the country and should be tied into every immigration legislation granting visas. I know it is included in this executive action, but adding more DHS agents is not enough, even though it is start.

Hopefully the 114th Congress can work together on this issue, it is the right thing to do, unlike the President taking it into his own hands.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies