Does the Midwest deserve Governor FitzGerald?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:18:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Does the Midwest deserve Governor FitzGerald?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Does the Midwest deserve Governor FitzGerald?  (Read 2823 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 02:36:43 AM »
« edited: November 25, 2014, 02:59:12 AM by Sawx, King in the North »

LeBron, let me say first of all that what I am about to say is nothing personal. I am pretty sure you've caught onto me at this point, but I am a straight-shooter, and when I see something going wrong, I call them out on it. And this latest stunt, LeBron, is a blatant subversion of the constitution that for all intents and purposes should make your job in Atlasia the least of your worries. My interpretation of the Midwest Constitution - and, in fact, the Oxford dictionary's and Webster's dictionary's definition of the phrase "along with" means "at the same time as". Therefore, the election for your replacement should be held at the same time as the recall itself.

So essentially, you are fighting against the people's definition and the English language's definition of the phrase "along with"I to try and save your re-election. If you want to go through with this blatant middle finger to the Constitution (and criminal act at worst), then by all means - be my guest. Just don't blame me when people see you as LeBron Husted instead of LeBron FitzGerald.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 02:54:50 AM »

I tend to agree with Governor Sawx but I'd like to just be clear when I say that my opinion was just that and shouldn't be considered either an opinion of the Court - which we can't and won't issue without a case - or any kind of formal opinion as a Justice - it's always possible that if this were ever to come before the Court my considered opinion would lean the other way entirely. I'm just speaking as an interested citizen who enjoys legal investigation.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 02:59:40 AM »

Then my testimony has been changed to reflect that.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 03:09:00 AM »

I'll just say that - with a particular focus on the term - "along with" can also mean "in conformity or accordance with", implying that as long as the process is handled in its entirety or as intended, holding consecutive votes would be acceptable. There can also be a semantic debate about its usage as both a consecutive and concurrent descriptor in the same instance; "Along with my job of manning the election booth today, I also have to go by the bank at some point" would imply that these things are both happening today (concurrent), but could also imply that one will happen before the other (consecutive).

I believe I also missed the "immediately" part originally, which had I noticed that, would have rendered what I had to say moot.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 08:47:01 AM »

I would like to say that should this happen, whether it is in my capacity as DAG or as a citizen, I will bring on a lawsuit if you go through with this.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 09:21:36 AM »

The Recall Amendment

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Fourth_Midwest_Constitution#Amendments_.28As_of_11.2F30.2F13.29

It's clear. One voting booth, on the same days. The ballot should have 2 question. One question about recall and one question about the replacement. If 3/5ths of voters will vote to Recall, LeBron  will be replaced with the candidate that the people voted as the replacement.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 11:12:42 AM »

I love how you accuse me of bad grammar, yet you failed to even notice the two "voting" words in a row. Our Constitution only has one "voting" just so you know.

Listen, as well as being the governor of our region, I'm also the chief election officer that "oversees all elections" according to our Constitution. Our Constitution has several interpretations, and the way I and others view it is the replacement vote takes place in the case the recall is successful. Adam's post sums it up the best:

I've been a part of many a recall in my day - and witnessed plenty of others - and it's always been a scenario of

a) circulate petition; if threshold is reached, a recall vote occurs
b) a vote to recall is held; if threshold is reached, an election occurs,
c) people eligible to run for office compete in separate election

This combined recall/election concept makes zero sense. Clearly, a petition was circulated that has triggered a recall vote. Said vote will be held in a few days, and if 60% of people vote to recall, then there will be an additional vote with all of the declared candidates vying for the office.

"Along" in this case can also mean "in addition to", which can imply two separate votes.

As Buckley would say, "I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said."
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »

Basic reading tells you that what Cris said is correct.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 01:57:19 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 02:06:46 PM by ZuWo »

I would like to say that should this happen, whether it is in my capacity as DAG or as a citizen, I will bring on a lawsuit if you go through with this.

Who is the Chief Judicial Officer of the Midwest? The Midwestern Constitution states that a Chief Judicial Officer shall be (should have been?) appointed by the Governor. If there must be a lawsuit I think this case should be primarily dealt with at the regional level.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »

Who is the Chief Judicial Officer of the Midwest? The Midwestern Constitution states that a Chief Judicial Officer shall be (should have been?) appointed by the Governor. If there must be a lawsuit I think this case should be primarily dealt with at the regional level.
The office is vacant. Ilikeverin had been appointed a long time ago by Lumine, but the term only lasts 6 months...
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 03:32:02 PM »

The Recall Amendment

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Fourth_Midwest_Constitution#Amendments_.28As_of_11.2F30.2F13.29

Along with = two questions on the same ballot.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »

The right to vote is not a political issue, but GAworth attempted to make it one.

But you supported the GAworth's amendment.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=200506.msg4338224#msg4338224

"I'm also in full support of this amendment [...]"
"Districts could make elections more fun and orderly, and I would personally support implementing them [...]"

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 03:50:25 PM »

The office is vacant. Ilikeverin had been appointed a long time ago by Lumine, but the term only lasts 6 months...

That's quite careless (to put it mildly) of whoever was Governor at the time when ilikeverin's term ended and the sitting Governor, then. From a legal point of view it's highly irritating that the position of Chief Judicial Officer has been vacant for so Long and complicates things considerably.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2014, 03:22:26 PM by ilikeverin »

Wait, I'm not CJO anymore?  I was wondering why no one was asking me about this...

But, yes, I'm surprised anyone had a different interpretation for the amendment than a simultaneous "Do you want to recall?" and "Who would you want to replace if there was a replacements?" election.  Good job team.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »

Wait, I'm not CJO anymore?  I was wondering why no one was asking me about this...

But, yes, I'm surprised anyone had a different interpretation for the amendment than a simultaneous "Do you want to recall?" and "Who would you want to replace if there was a replacements?" election.  Good job team.
I forgot to PM you and the current Governor when it happened (Arturo or Lebron, I don't know anymore)
Sorry Sad
*hughughug*
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 03:25:58 PM »

I forgot to PM you and the current Governor when it happened (Arturo or Lebron, I don't know anymore)
Sorry Sad
*hughughug*

It's okay!  My job was to know the laws of the Midwest, and apparently I did not.  For that reason, I've decided to abstain from voting, as if I'm not competent enough in my own job to know the laws related to my position, I don't feel entitled to judge others for their performance of their jobs!  *hughughug*
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »

After some search,
Your term had officially ended July 06,07 something like that.
So, that was during Arturo's term.

Sorry, I forgot about the 6 month term
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies