Will somebody please kick out Reid & Pelosi ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:24:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will somebody please kick out Reid & Pelosi ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you support it ?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Will somebody please kick out Reid & Pelosi ?  (Read 1721 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2014, 03:07:16 AM »

Their best days have long passed, IMO.

The Democratic Party needs new leadership, both in the Senate and the House.

Reid and Pelosi are only dragging the party down. It's time for some fresh faces.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 03:18:19 AM »

Reid and Pelosi are only dragging the party down. It's time for some fresh faces.

I don't know about Reid but I'm pretty sure that the only reason Pelosi still hasn't retired is to prevent Steny Hoyer from ever becoming the Democratic leader in the House. The only way he will ever become Speaker or Minority Leader is literally over her dead body.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:48 AM »

I don't support it because of two reasons: 1)Steny Hoyer 2)Chuck Schumer
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 03:36:02 AM »

So the main reason Dems don't support getting rid of these two clowns is because the people waiting in the wings are worse?  Awesome.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 03:43:53 AM »

Pelosi will probably leave if Dems don't retake the House in 2016. Reid may lose his re-election bid.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 04:50:08 AM »

I don't know about Reid but I'm pretty sure that the only reason Pelosi still hasn't retired is to prevent Steny Hoyer from ever becoming the Democratic leader in the House. The only way he will ever become Speaker or Minority Leader is literally over her dead body.

Preventing Hoyer from becoming leader is a good reason to stay leader.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 07:35:52 AM »

Preventing Hoyer from becoming leader is a good reason to stay leader.

Why is this fine Danish-American gentleman so unpopular?

Too vocal about supporting the Iraq War? The immunity to telecom companies thing? Or just too pro-business for the leftists in general?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 07:38:11 AM »

I'd support kicking out Reid but not Pelosi. As speaker, Pelosi had huge success in ramming through legislation, while Reid was dicking around and not getting rid of the filibuster. If, by some miracle, the Dems regained the House, Pelosi would be great to have.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »

I'd support kicking out Reid but not Pelosi. As speaker, Pelosi had huge success in ramming through legislation, while Reid was dicking around and not getting rid of the filibuster. If, by some miracle, the Dems regained the House, Pelosi would be great to have.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »

New faces would be better for the Democratic party, but there isn't enough interest in challenging them, and there's a fear of repercussions.

I don't believe either is effective at being a major face for their party, although it's possible that other potential choices won't be able to wrangle votes very well.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 01:10:01 PM »

As badgate said, Schumer and Hoyer aren't exactly "new faces."

The problem isn't at the top, it's at the bottom. Very little if any new talent is bubbling up because the Democrats are getting destroyed down ballot. To build a house you need to start at the foundations. In this case, it's 1) backing popular referenda that switch the state legislative districting process to nonpartisan in as many states as possible. 2) finding a way to deal with the geographic density problem. This is going to mean contesting more state districts and with more moderate candidates that can win in a R +10 district.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »

All of the old white LBJ Democrats need to be done away with. Their version of race relations is paying people to be poor. Can we please moveon.org already?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »

As badgate said, Schumer and Hoyer aren't exactly "new faces."

The problem isn't at the top, it's at the bottom. Very little if any new talent is bubbling up because the Democrats are getting destroyed down ballot. To build a house you need to start at the foundations. In this case, it's 1) backing popular referenda that switch the state legislative districting process to nonpartisan in as many states as possible. 2) finding a way to deal with the geographic density problem. This is going to mean contesting more state districts and with more moderate candidates that can win in a R +10 district.
Fresh face just means someone who hasn't been the public face of the party since 2006, although I so think Democrats have better choices than Hoyer or Schumer.

Xavier Becerra seems like the best for House Minority Leader.

From the Senate leadership, Patty Murray seems like a better communicator than Schumer or Durbin.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »

Get rid of Pelosi, keep Reid.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 03:26:54 PM »

Keep Pelosi until Hoyer retires. Reid should remain leader at least until he wins re-election.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »

Pelosi is a genuine anti-regressive and one of the few attack dogs left. We need her to call out Boehner on the bull.

And Reid is the powerful defense, and now that McConnell is Majority Leader, he is absolutely vital.

The other replacements are third-way toadies, so forget them.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »

To those more familiar with the inside baseball of the House:

Would Pelosi retire or step down if she knew that enough votes existed to annoint a non-Hoyer successor? I know the two have proxy battles all the time over Committee chairmanships and the lesser positions in party leadership- is there any record of who their respective allies are in the Democratic caucus?
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »

I think both did a good job leading their caucuses (although Pelosi, like most house minority leaders, has been pretty irrelevant for a while). But it's time for some fresh faces. Becerra and Schumer sound good to me.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »

I support Pelosi as long as she wants to be Leader. She has my unwavering support. She was extremely effective as Speaker (it's not her fault the Senate refused to take up the bills she pushed through the House). I think she deserves one more chance to take back the Speakership. And, as others have mentioned, it's best that she serves long enough to make sure Hoyer doesn't take over.

Reid probably should stand down soon, but if it helps his reelection chances, I'd be okay with him staying on for the upcoming Congress (ideally stepping down upon reelection).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 11:57:51 AM »

I support Pelosi as long as she wants to be Leader. She has my unwavering support. She was extremely effective as Speaker (it's not her fault the Senate refused to take up the bills she pushed through the House). I think she deserves one more chance to take back the Speakership. And, as others have mentioned, it's best that she serves long enough to make sure Hoyer doesn't take over.

Reid probably should stand down soon, but if it helps his reelection chances, I'd be okay with him staying on for the upcoming Congress (ideally stepping down upon reelection).

That sounds good for Reid. Pelosi and Boehner are definitely survivors. You would think after the shutdown, Boehner would have been screwed...but Obama's Katrina came just in time (whether it was because of Government incompetence or Republican Computer Scientists or both).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »

Pelosi and Wasserman and Hillary are standard barriers of the Democratic party and future for women. Reid is a fundraiser in chief, once the 2016 elections are over, and hopefully Hillary is elected prez, future leaders will emerge within party ranks. Steny Hoyer probably wont make it Speaker.

But, a new majority is what the Democratic party wants and this is definitely party leaders definite go around.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »

Pelosi and Wasserman and Hillary are standard barriers of the Democratic party and future for women. Reid is a fundraiser in chief, once the 2016 elections are over, and hopefully Hillary is elected prez, future leaders will emerge within party ranks. Steny Hoyer probably wont make it Speaker.

But, a new majority is what the Democratic party wants and this is definitely party leaders definite go around.

But we definitely need a new car smell.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »

That sounds good for Reid. Pelosi and Boehner are definitely survivors. You would think after the shutdown, Boehner would have been screwed...but Obama's Katrina came just in time (whether it was because of Government incompetence or Republican Computer Scientists or both).

What are you suggesting?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »

What are you suggesting?

Could Obama Care have been hacked?  This would only somewhat lessen the culpability of the administration, though.
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »

Reid wasn't gonna get rid of the filibuster. The filibuster is a good tool to use when you are in the Senate Minority as the Dems will be in 2015-2016!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies