How Americans view Sino-Japanese ties!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:31:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  How Americans view Sino-Japanese ties!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Americans view Sino-Japanese ties!  (Read 2865 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2005, 03:25:57 AM »

Recently,relationship between Asia's two most powerful countries,China and Japan become so tight!
Japan's deny of it infamous aggressive history in 1937-1945 has triggered nationwide rage in China!
99% of Chinese are strongly opposed to Japan's entry into UNSC.
Japan has a lot of money and most important, it is supported by US. So it is a matter of time for Jp to enter the UNSC.
However, I do damn this evil and war-like nation which killed tens of thousands of Chinese civilians and so eager to wage a war  again!
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 03:43:29 AM »

Okay guys, I guess he is just being emotional about the war with Japan part. How would Jews feel about neo-Nazis?

Personally I think that both countries are guilty of distorting history. I read some of the Chinese history textbooks and they are well, editorialized. I also think it is not good for the government of any country to promote a viewpoint.

V0031, I have been to China and spent time with kids there (in Fujian, where my dad is from) and they talk about "little Japan" and how we should boycott their goods. Certainly, they need to change but the majority of Japanese aren't "evil" or anything. Their Prime Minister visiting the shrine where Tojo are idolozed is evil. Hopefully the Japanese people will respond by voting Koizumi out in the next election. Then they will show the world they are good meaning.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 04:23:20 AM »

http://blog.yesky.com/Blog/somewindows/archive/2005/04/14/108080.html
The comments there are pretty disturbing.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 04:28:53 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_2005_anti-Japanese_demonstrations_in_China

That  should explain it all.

Also, the anti-Japanese sentiment in China is genuine except they are fanned up by the communist party. Kind of real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Japanese_relations

And V0031, this is an encyclopedia you could go to:

http://cn.wikipedia.org/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 04:31:13 AM »

Maybe Bush will unite them..... against the US.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 05:02:50 AM »

Maybe Bush will unite them..... against the US.

I'm sure that's your fondest hope.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 05:08:31 AM »

Recently,relationship between Asia's two most powerful countries,China and Japan become so tight!
Japan's deny of it infamous aggressive history in 1937-1945 has triggered nationwide rage in China!
Japan has a lot of money and most important, it is supported by US. So it is a matter of time for Jp to enter the UNSC.
However, I do damn this evil and war-like nation which killed tens of thousands of Chinese civilians and so eager to wage a war  again!

I think you are falling victim to some extent to your government's propaganda.

I think that over time, people who do well are those who are able to let go of past issues when circumstances change, and even become friends with their former enemies.

Japan attacked the US, and there was tremendous hatred of Japan and the Japanese in the US.  Yet in time, Japan became a friend, and there is no longer such anti-Japanese feeling.

Japan has changed, and is today a peaceful country, albeit one that does not wish to admit the sins of its past.  There is no chance that Japan would initiate a war on China.  To be honest, I think there is more danger over the long term of military aggression by China than by Japan.

V0031, how do you feel about Vietnam, and whether that country poses a threat to you?
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 11:32:48 AM »

The average American understands why the Chinese are angry at Japan, but the average American does not share that anger.  The question of whether Japan should be on the UNSC is a question of what future benefit will they bring, not a question of whta they have done in the past.  Also, it makes no sense for the UNSC to be made of only countries that are good friends.  It is worth remembering that our country and yours, both UNSC members, were virtually at war in Korea.  Would things have been better if one of our countries had permanently left the UNSC?
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 02:43:55 PM »

Well, the big difference is that in Japan, there is a certain amount of freedom of speech, including the right of a small group of extremists to advocate a revisionist textbook.  Disagreeing with the government is allowed.

In China, the extremists tend to hold positions of power, the textbooks are highly revisionist, and people who openly disagree with the government tend to end up dead.

Given the tendency of the Chinese government to brutally supress dissent (for example, the Tien an Mein square massacre), it is clear that these current 'protests' are not opposed and most likely are sanctioned by the PRC.

I also strongly suspect that as others have said it has little to do with a couple of loonies advocating a revisionist textbook, and far more to do with China opposing Japan's effort to join the UN security council.

Japan has evolved greatly since WW2.  China remains largely stuck in the feudalistic ethnocentric mindset which has continually slowed it's progress over the past century.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 06:42:36 PM »

I agree with what most of James and dazzleman has said.  Japan was certainly guilty of horrible crimes during the war.  But the war is long over.  Most of those people are dead, and the modern Japanese are not responsible.  There reaches a point where you have to move on.  Germany was guilty of great atrocities during the war as well, but modern Germans are not responsible either.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 06:49:25 PM »

Personally I think that both countries are guilty of distorting history. I read some of the Chinese history textbooks and they are well, editorialized. I also think it is not good for the government of any country to promote a viewpoint.

Every country highlights the good points in their history, but with a History like Japan's, that's not appreciated by most people. That said, China isn't exactly going to have textbooks saying that the invasion of Tibet was anything but a glorious acquisition for the light of the world's nations.

Also, I don't think that people shouldn't be educated about their nation's history, even if they weren't responsible. Japanese actions in WWII seem to get a helluva lot more coverage outside of Japan-the good and the bad-that I wouldn't be surprised if I knew more about the second world war then the average Japanese 17 year old, at all.
v0031
China
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 07:37:10 PM »

I think you are falling victim to some extent to your government's propaganda.

I think that over time, people who do well are those who are able to let go of past issues when circumstances change, and even become friends with their former enemies.

Japan attacked the US, and there was tremendous hatred of Japan and the Japanese in the US.  Yet in time, Japan became a friend, and there is no longer such anti-Japanese feeling.

Japan has changed, and is today a peaceful country, albeit one that does not wish to admit the sins of its past.  There is no chance that Japan would initiate a war on China.  To be honest, I think there is more danger over the long term of military aggression by China than by Japan.

V0031, how do you feel about Vietnam, and whether that country poses a threat to you?

When Japan is powerful than the US, the so-called ally will come to its end!
Vietnam to China is what Cuba to the US!
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 08:26:13 PM »

Japan has never been more powerful than the US, besides the fact that Japan has very little military to speak of.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 08:46:51 PM »

When Japan is powerful than the US, the so-called ally will come to its end!
Vietnam to China is what Cuba to the US!

At this point, there is a much greater chance that China will become more powerful than the US than that Japan will.

Chinese hostility to Vietnam has been around a long time, yet China supported the North Vietnamese during the Vietnam War.  A good example of ideology (and a deeply flawed one at that, even forgetting the circumstances of the war) winning out over national interest.  Had China not helped the North Vietnamese, they probably would not have defeated the south.  Vietnam today would either still be divided, or the north would have withered and died, and the south would have become peaceful and wealthy like many other Asian nations. 

Instead, Vietnam remains one of the few countries that continues to impose poverty on itself for the sake of the ruling clique maintaining its power.
v0031
China
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 09:12:04 PM »

Japan has never been more powerful than the US, besides the fact that Japan has very little military to speak of.

Are you sure? Sir.
Did British predict that American would become the superpower?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 09:21:51 PM »

I'm a lot more worried about China than Japan.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2005, 09:31:10 PM »

Are you sure? Sir.
Did British predict that American would become the superpower?

Yes, I am sure.  Japan had it's militaristic expansionist phase, and it resulted in defeat.  They are constitutionally prohibited from any agressive actions.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2005, 09:38:36 PM »

Regardless of how remote Japan's chances are of becoming more powerful than the US, two questions come to my mind:

1. Why would Japan want to become more powerful than the US?

2. Why would Japan attack the United States, if Japan did somehow become more powerful than the US?

It's not exactly as if Japan is under the control of a militant dictatorship that hates the rest of the world.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2005, 10:52:33 PM »

Regardless of how remote Japan's chances are of becoming more powerful than the US, two questions come to my mind:

1. Why would Japan want to become more powerful than the US?

2. Why would Japan attack the United States, if Japan did somehow become more powerful than the US?

It's not exactly as if Japan is under the control of a militant dictatorship that hates the rest of the world.

Also excellent points Gabu.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 10:40:01 AM »

Japan had it's militaristic expansionist phase, and it resulted in defeat.  They are constitutionally prohibited from any agressive actions.

I believe we should revisit the constitutional resrtictions we placed on them after WWII. They should be allowed to rearm and allow us to pull back.

The Japanese could revisit their constitution if they really wanted to.  We don't have the right at this point to look at their constitution.  I think the Japanese today like that restriction.  They are really very anti-war, and I don't see why a rational person would fear them at this point.  The Chinese government is using its state-controlled propaganda machine to manipulate its subjects and whip up anti-Japanese sentiments for its own reasons.  Some things never change when you're dealing with totalitarian communist regimes, despite the great affection some naive people on this board have expressed for that type of regime.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 10:56:25 AM »

They are really very anti-war, and I don't see why a rational person would fear them at this point.  The Chinese government is using its state-controlled propaganda machine to manipulate its subjects and whip up anti-Japanese sentiments for its own reasons. 
And it is perfectly clear those reasons mostly relate to the desire of China to keep Japan off the UNSC.

What I don't understand is why China believes this will work.  All the protests and attempts to get the world to remember that Japan was bad 65 years ago does not have a measurable impact on the world's opinion or Japan's chances in the UN.  Maybe the Chinese leadership doesn't believe this will work, is resigned to Japan's success, and is simply trying to score a few points with their own people with xenophobia.
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2005, 03:57:58 PM »

While i dislike that Japan tries to hide the fact about their behavier in 30s and 40s, they are not a threat to their neigbors, and they do not threaten their former "colonies" with war, if they don´t do as Japan says.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2005, 01:24:56 PM »

China's just trying to shunt all the focus off them and onto Japan and other contries so it will come to a bigger shock when they invade Taiwan and start WWIII.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies