Kirk warns Duckworth to not run against him in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:59:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kirk warns Duckworth to not run against him in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kirk warns Duckworth to not run against him in 2016  (Read 3480 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2014, 01:41:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/224967-kirk-warns-duckworth-about-potential-illinois-senate-challenge

Confirms my earlier thoughts that Kirk fears Duckworth the most.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2014, 01:46:53 PM by ModerateVAVoter »

Kirk won't be a pushover, but unless the Illinois Democrats nominate a corrupt fool, they should win. Madigan probably won't run, but Tammy Duckworth or Cheri Bustos likely win if they do.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:49:24 PM »

I would still prefer Robin Kelly or Toi Hutchinson but this cracks me up. Especially the third person part.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »

lol, what a joke.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 02:28:17 PM »

I think he's creating the illusion that he's scared of Duckworth the most, just so she'll be the nominee.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

I think he's creating the illusion that he's scared of Duckworth the most, just so she'll be the nominee.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »

Why would he want her to be the nominee?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 03:05:34 PM »

She's a fairly generic campaigner.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »

She's a fairly generic campaigner.

She doesn't have to be an amazing campaigner she just needs to be a competent candidate.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 04:04:03 PM »

Go on, Democrats! I bet you won't nominate Tammy Duckworth!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »

What's with the third person part? Is he doing a Bod Dole impression?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »

The best part is that he is calling himself by just his last name like he's Tarzan.
Panda Express

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »

Kirk knows if Duckworth runs, he'll decimate her. He wants a challenge.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 05:41:24 PM »

He buys his own hype more than Scott Brown. Next thing he'll say is that Democrats should let him run unopposed, since he's so formidable. What an arrogant jerk.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 06:03:09 PM »

He buys his own hype more than Scott Brown. Next thing he'll say is that Democrats should let him run unopposed, since he's so formidable. What an arrogant jerk.

And unlike Scott Brown, he's not even popular. He's mostly anonymous.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 06:53:51 PM »

The best part is that he is calling himself by just his last name like he's Tarzan.

Reminds me of:

"Make no mistake, Bob Dole is going to be the Republican nominee."

"Make no mistake, Bob Dole won't veto those bills."
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »

Duckworth may very well decide to jump into this race, it is better to be in striking distance of the majority than sitting in the minority in a chamber where legislation is beholdened by a small group of tea party members. Better to pass legislation than not and that is why the candidacy of Duckworth or whoever decides to challenge Kirk is worth the challenge.

I think whoever runs will run a competitive race and a small advantage.
KCDem

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 10:02:41 PM »

Hopefully someone crushes this disgusting scum.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »

Kirk isn't going to say he has doubts about losing. Name me one time a politician hasn't said something positive towards his side when asked about re-election. Most politicians would've taken that opportunity to attack their opponent first and Kirk didn't.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 01:01:55 AM »

Kirk might just be saber rattling. His political fate will depend on how far ahead of the Republican Presidential ticket he can run and how much his moderate brand in Illinois can resist a Presidential election year turnout.

If I recall, Illinois hasn't ousted a senator since 1998, when Carol Mosely-Braun lost re-election after a disastrous term. (To put it kindly). Before that, I think 1984, when Charles Percy (R-Illinois) was ousted.

Kirk is for gay marriage, pro-choice, and isn't that out of touch with the state. He should net a decent chunk of votes, especially Downstate and the Collar counties. I see Kirk winning 48-53% of the vote. Unless our GOP ticket completely collapses, Kirk has, starting out, a 50-50 shot. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 03:08:35 AM »

Duckworth may very well decide to jump into this race, it is better to be in striking distance of the majority than sitting in the minority in a chamber where legislation is beholdened by a small group of tea party members. Better to pass legislation than not and that is why the candidacy of Duckworth or whoever decides to challenge Kirk is worth the challenge.

I think whoever runs will run a competitive race and a small advantage.

Is this really OC? Shocked
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 03:11:06 AM »

Kirk might just be saber rattling. His political fate will depend on how far ahead of the Republican Presidential ticket he can run and how much his moderate brand in Illinois can resist a Presidential election year turnout.

If I recall, Illinois hasn't ousted a senator since 1998, when Carol Mosely-Braun lost re-election after a disastrous term. (To put it kindly). Before that, I think 1984, when Charles Percy (R-Illinois) was ousted.

Kirk is for gay marriage, pro-choice, and isn't that out of touch with the state. He should net a decent chunk of votes, especially Downstate and the Collar counties. I see Kirk winning 48-53% of the vote. Unless our GOP ticket completely collapses, Kirk has, starting out, a 50-50 shot. 

Mark Pryor and Mary Landrieu were also in touch with their states. In fact, pretty much everyone had LA as "lean D" at the start of the cycle...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 04:04:27 AM »

Mark Pryor and Mary Landrieu were also in touch with their states. In fact, pretty much everyone had LA as "lean D" at the start of the cycle...

Landrieu was a tough incumbent who'd survived before. Nobody would seriously suggest that she is in touch with Louisiana today. Pryor was a little better off, but being a Democrat in the South is a political death sentence now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 05:10:25 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2014, 05:19:53 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Landrieu was a tough incumbent who'd survived before. Nobody would seriously suggest that she is in touch with Louisiana today. Pryor was a little better off, but being a Democrat in the South is a political death sentence now.

And being a Republican in Illinois in a Presidential election year isn't? The last Presidential election where Republicans won a Senate seat in Illinois was 1972, and that obviously wasn't a bad year to be a Republican.

Also 3/4 had Louisiana as tossup in Feb. 2013. Colorado was the only race that anyone rated likely or safe D that was lost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=United_States_Senate_elections,_2014&oldid=538577096
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 01:11:05 PM »

Kirk is barely known in the state he's certainty no Chuck Grassley I feel like he's more of a Kay Hagan re-elected in a good year against an awful opponent who's invisible to most voters until election time.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies