Opinion of the state you live in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:36:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the state you live in?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of the state you live in?
Freedom State

Horrible State

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Opinion of the state you live in?  (Read 2860 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 02:35:15 AM »

What Illuminati said.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 07:56:17 AM »

I very much like Tirol, despite its kind of "small" feeling, I guess I could have been born in worse places... And it's without a doubt Austria's best federal state
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »

California! Über Alles!
California Über Alles!
Über Alles! California!
Über Alles California!

Sure it sucks, but at least the death camps never happened (or if they did, they were kept very low key).

My state is fine if you can ignore 80% of the politics and can stomach Huskerfan.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »

Illinois is a pretty cool state. Chicago is great. There are certainly things I would change but I'd live here over the large majority of states.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 09:28:48 AM »

Illinois is a pretty cool state. Chicago is great. There are certainly things I would change but I'd live here over the large majority of states.

I loved the whole Chicagoland area for the time I was living out there.  Cook County is awesome.  Even Waukegan is alright. 
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 09:34:51 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2014, 09:41:06 AM by Mr. Illini »

I loved the whole Chicagoland area for the time I was living out there.  Cook County is awesome.  Even Waukegan is alright.  

Waukegan is witnessing a decline and is becoming pretty crime-ridden. You're right, though, that even the Chicago suburbs are not bad. Obviously the city is great, but (most of) the burbs aren't like the cookie-cutter, tree-less, culture-less suburbs of Indianapolis and Dallas. Our suburbs are very old and many of them have a great bar and restaurant scene.

That's probably why they are so much bluer than the burbs in Indy and Dallas. Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 09:44:06 AM »

Salzburg is one of the best states to live in Austria.

Generally, all Western States are good + parts of Upper Austria and Vienna.

So, FF state.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »

Nova Scotia's very nice. Pretty scenery and extremely nice people. Mild winters compared to the rest of Canada. Not a great place if you like big cities... and good luck finding a job outside Halifax Tongue
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 09:58:29 AM »

It's pretty horrible outside of 3-4 neighborhoods in Omaha.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 10:15:26 AM »

Ontario's quite fine. There's a lot of beautiful places in this province, which I unfortunately haven't even really begun to explore in depth, and the quality of life is good. It has a tendency for mediocre politics, although the rejection of Hudak's sociopathic agenda by the good people of this great province was heart-warming.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 11:36:38 AM »

FS. It's given me a lot of opportunities, and I love it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 11:38:26 AM »

New York is pretty cool. I'm told they invented pie a la mode here, which considering that the alternative is eating it with cheese (??????), is great.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »

Maryland is awesome.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »

A horrible disgusting sh**thole.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 05:56:45 PM »

Its OK. I'll be moving somewhere else in less than 10 years
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »

FS overall, but could be better.  I intend to move to Minnesota or Iowa in the near future. 
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 01:53:13 AM »

Irredeemably idiotic
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 03:24:02 AM »

Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 09:42:07 AM »

Freedom District.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2014, 10:22:08 PM »

Well, the weather here is basically intolerable except in late fall and in winter, which sticks out to me as Tennessee's worst trait.  Aside from that, the politics are awful, but they could be much worse, and that doesn't have a huge effect on my view of states generally.  I'm not really fond of the high levels of religiosity, but it doesn't bother me that much.

On the other hand, the Smoky Mountains are really nice, and I like a lot of the music that comes from eastern Tennessee and the surrounding area.  I also think the people here are quite friendly, but that may also be true of most states (I haven't spent a whole lot of time in other states.).

I used to despise the state, but I've developed a much less negative view over the last year or so.  I'd still say it leans HS, but I have the problem when answering questions like these, that I don't have much experience with other states or even different regions of my own state; I haven't experienced much outside of the Knoxville metropolitan area (or indeed even outside Oak Ridge), although I have visited Chattanooga, the Tri-Cities, and Nashville several times.  I have, however, only been to West Tennessee a handful of times.  I believe I've been to Memphis once and I was so young then that I don't remember it at all, so I don't have much to say about that city.  I'm not really familiar of enough with other states to really compare and contrast them with Tennessee (never mind foreign countries), but I feel like the majority of most or all U.S. states must be at least okay places to live.

tl;dr: I'm not particularly fond of Tennessee, but I don't hate it, either, and I don't feel like I've experienced enough of the state or of other states to form a definite opinion.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »

Well, the weather here is basically intolerable except in late fall and in winter, which sticks out to me as Tennessee's worst trait.  Aside from that, the politics are awful, but they could be much worse, and that doesn't have a huge effect on my view of states generally.  I'm not really fond of the high levels of religiosity, but it doesn't bother me that much.

On the other hand, the Smoky Mountains are really nice, and I like a lot of the music that comes from eastern Tennessee and the surrounding area.  I also think the people here are quite friendly, but that may also be true of most states (I haven't spent a whole lot of time in other states.).

I used to despise the state, but I've developed a much less negative view over the last year or so.  I'd still say it leans HS, but I have the problem when answering questions like these, that I don't have much experience with other states or even different regions of my own state; I haven't experienced much outside of the Knoxville metropolitan area (or indeed even outside Oak Ridge), although I have visited Chattanooga, the Tri-Cities, and Nashville several times.  I have, however, only been to West Tennessee a handful of times.  I believe I've been to Memphis once and I was so young then that I don't remember it at all, so I don't have much to say about that city.  I'm not really familiar of enough with other states to really compare and contrast them with Tennessee (never mind foreign countries), but I feel like the majority of most or all U.S. states must be at least okay places to live.

tl;dr: I'm not particularly fond of Tennessee, but I don't hate it, either, and I don't feel like I've experienced enough of the state or of other states to form a definite opinion.

How come Tennessee Republicans seem to be less flagrantly vile than Republicans in other deep red states (or even swing states)? I mean, like you said, you guys could definitely do a lot worse than Corker/Alexander/Haslam.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 12:31:23 AM »

How come Tennessee Republicans seem to be less flagrantly vile than Republicans in other deep red states (or even swing states)? I mean, like you said, you guys could definitely do a lot worse than Corker/Alexander/Haslam.
Corker and Alexander vote just like every other Republican so I wouldn't say they are any less vile, but it is nice that they don't go out of their way to embarrass their state the way certain other senators do.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 12:32:12 AM »

Could be worse.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon