VA: Puckett's Senate exit undid T-Mac's plan for Medexpansion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:19:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA: Puckett's Senate exit undid T-Mac's plan for Medexpansion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA: Puckett's Senate exit undid T-Mac's plan for Medexpansion  (Read 871 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:04:38 PM »

Pretty fun read from WaPo.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 11:16:17 PM »

Old news, but Sawx put it best:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 11:42:28 PM »

If Terry McAuliife decided to go full Underwood, and hire a bunch of prisoners to murder this guy like in Breaking Bad, I don't think any of these deaths would be fitting for him.

Rotting in prison, away from the comforts of his cushy political life, where he's known for endangering the lives of 400,000 people for his family's benefit, is the only fitting punishment for this disgusting person.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 12:36:14 AM »

Even with Puckett, it would have been a long shot.  Why would the heavily Republican House have assented to the budget McAuliffe was hoping would pass if the narrowly Republican Senate didn't?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »

I realize that forcing someone to stay in office against their will would probably qualify as indentured servitude, but I think legislators should be required to sign a contract at the beginning of every term promising to serve out their full term unless they die or are removed or recalled from office. If they want to resign before their term is up because they were elected to another office or resigned to become a judge or a lobbyist or something, they should be required to "buy out" the remainder of their term by paying the state/federal government the amount of salary they would have received for the remainder of their term.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 05:35:19 PM »

Next poll: Andrew Cuomo vs. Phil Puckett
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »

I realize that forcing someone to stay in office against their will would probably qualify as indentured servitude, but I think legislators should be required to sign a contract at the beginning of every term promising to serve out their full term unless they die or are removed or recalled from office. If they want to resign before their term is up because they were elected to another office or resigned to become a judge or a lobbyist or something, they should be required to "buy out" the remainder of their term by paying the state/federal government the amount of salary they would have received for the remainder of their term.

Because the public would obviously benefit from legislators who have an explicit disinterest in performing their job.

(I initially wrote that in jest, but come to think about it, there might be merit in the idea of having legislators who hate their job. A lottery system of representation would certainly be preferable to representative democracy in the sense we know it in a few ways.)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »

Because the public would obviously benefit from legislators who have an explicit disinterest in performing their job.

(I initially wrote that in jest, but come to think about it, there might be merit in the idea of having legislators who hate their job. A lottery system of representation would certainly be preferable to representative democracy in the sense we know it in a few ways.)

The goal wouldn't be to force them to stay. It would be to make them reconsider running for another term to begin with because of the added costs associated with doing so if they decided to leave.

We've had members of the House resign literally a few months into a given term. They obviously had whatever they left to do already lined up before they were reelected, so this would just be incentive for them to skip the pretense altogether and just retire.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies