We could definitely need some snow right now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:08:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  We could definitely need some snow right now
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: We could definitely need some snow right now  (Read 2774 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:03:01 AM »

... and by "snow" I mean 1-2 feet of it.

The skiing season is scheduled to start in 1 or 2 weeks and the landscape here still looks like in September or October. Yesterday it briefly had 10-15°C.

There's some snow on the mountains but not enough yet. At least there's clear skies now and temps are down to freezing levels during the night and early morning hours, but they are way too high during the day for the snow cannons.

I wish it would snow here like in Buffalo ... Sad
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:35:19 AM »

Still 10°C today ...

And the Ski areas are moaning already, because they already wanted to open last weekend.

The year 2014 will be the warmest in Austria since measuring began 250 years ago.

The November 2014 was 4°C warmer than the longtime records.

(not that I mind this warm weather, but it's not so good for the tourism-intensive ski areas).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 10:00:30 AM »

Today at 2pm (abnormal, no snow, but warm & nice weather):

Last year at the same time (normal, a lot of snow that then got eaten away during Christmas when it had 20°C, the highest temp ever measured so far in a December):

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »

K.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »

I'd be utterly thrilled to send you whatever snow we get here, but I somehow think that won't work. Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »

I'd be utterly thrilled to send you whatever snow we get here, but I somehow think that won't work. Tongue

It would be great if we could get 2 feet on the ground and some 3-5 feet on the mountains.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »

No,no,no we need snow and rain, even with the rain that just came, it's just not filling up the lakes.

Droughts just plain old suck.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »

California should be in a wetter pattern for a while.  You can thank el niño for that. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 04:19:54 AM »

We had some snow for a very brief time.

I don't care what you guys say, I love snow.
Panda Express

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 05:18:25 AM »

... and by "snow" I mean 1-2 feet of it.

Hey! Nice job adjusting to the American system! I'm impressed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...nevermind
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »

Still no snow.

Today, it has 15-20°C (= 59-68°F) in and around Vienna and 15°C in Salzburg !

The Vienna-area (the orange area east of Munich) today is as hot as Southern Spain or North Africa or the US-sunbelt:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 08:40:13 AM »

Chicago has about the same temperature as Moscow? And Houston about the same as Paris? God, America is cold.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 09:24:30 AM »

Chicago has about the same temperature as Moscow? And Houston about the same as Paris? God, America is cold.

... and Ottawa the same weather as Archangelsk!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 09:28:19 AM »

Global warming at its finest.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »

Global warming at its finest.

That's no joke.

It's happening:

* The temperature in November or for most of the fall was 4°C hotter than the long term average.
* My mum picked parsley out of her elevated gardening bed a few days ago. That has never happened so far and she's 65 now.
* It's way too wet for this time of the year.
* The birds are still here and not in Africa, as usual.
* 40 measuring stations accross Austria did not report any freezing temps this fall for the first time ever.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 08:54:14 PM »

Poor boy, no snow at Christmas.  I'm sure that the millions of residents of Bangladesh whose lands will be inundated by rising seas would feel sorry for you if they knew you had no snow.  I reckon that those in western Africa watching their relatives shrivel fade away from the hemorrhagic disease brought on by ebola would wish you snow also.  No doubt the North Koreans with their 900-calorie-per-day diet will also feel sorry for you and wish you to have some of the snow that is causing their frostbites this Christmas season.  The Kurds and Syrians, at least those who can still walk and talk, would wish for you a white Christmas as well. 

Yours is truly a sad story.  We wish you prosperity and peace, and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »

Poor boy, no snow at Christmas.  I'm sure that the millions of residents of Bangladesh whose lands will be inundated by rising seas would feel sorry for you if they knew you had no snow.  I reckon that those in western Africa watching their relatives shrivel fade away from the hemorrhagic disease brought on by ebola would wish you snow also.  No doubt the North Koreans with their 900-calorie-per-day diet will also feel sorry for you and wish you to have some of the snow that is causing their frostbites this Christmas season.  The Kurds and Syrians, at least those who can still walk and talk, would wish for you a white Christmas as well.  

Yours is truly a sad story.  We wish you prosperity and peace, and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm well aware of all these problems, but that doesn't make my comments about global warming here less relevant.

After all, this is mostly a 1st World Forum, discussing 1st World problems ... Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 12:28:48 PM »

I'm actually hoping that it doesn't snow till at least after Christmas.  I got my son some outside toys that I'm really eager to start playing with, and it'll need to be dry for them.  Rain or snow on Christmas day will sort of be a bummer.  Still, I got some indoor things as well, just in case.

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »

We certainly need it here.  It's hardly snowed all December (except for a light dusting), and it hasn't looked good for a white Christmas, but I heard we're getting a snowstorm on Christmas, so there's still hope.  For me, it's just not Christmas without snow.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 02:35:17 AM »

Poor boy, no snow at Christmas.  I'm sure that the millions of residents of Bangladesh whose lands will be inundated by rising seas would feel sorry for you if they knew you had no snow.  I reckon that those in western Africa watching their relatives shrivel fade away from the hemorrhagic disease brought on by ebola would wish you snow also.  No doubt the North Koreans with their 900-calorie-per-day diet will also feel sorry for you and wish you to have some of the snow that is causing their frostbites this Christmas season.  The Kurds and Syrians, at least those who can still walk and talk, would wish for you a white Christmas as well. 

Yours is truly a sad story.  We wish you prosperity and peace, and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Right and your incredibly heroic posts on an internet forum are exactly what they need.

You know who appreciates your attitude? Literally no one. Not a single person enduring suffering in the third world. And certainly not the hotels, restaurants, ski resorts, and countless other businesses that depend on tourism in Eastern Europe. People on this forum can hem and haw about businesses and whatnot, but the single mom working two jobs works those two jobs at a business.

So before you try to get your overly self-righteous, "Holier-than-tho" rocks off with this sanctimonious post your computer, consider the lives affected by something like snowfall. Fix your attitude.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 07:45:55 AM »

^^^^^^^

Dude, angus is a forum legend and if you don't like his prose use the iggy button. Tender's constant trolling needs an appropriate response like angus'.  Piss off.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »

And certainly not the hotels, restaurants, ski resorts, and countless other businesses that depend on tourism in Eastern Europe.

Austria is in Eastern Europe now?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »

Right and your incredibly heroic posts on an internet forum are exactly what they need.

You know who appreciates your attitude? Literally no one. Not a single person enduring suffering in the third world. And certainly not the hotels, restaurants, ski resorts, and countless other businesses that depend on tourism in Eastern Europe. People on this forum can hem and haw about businesses and whatnot, but the single mom working two jobs works those two jobs at a business.

So before you try to get your overly self-righteous, "Holier-than-tho" rocks off with this sanctimonious post your computer, consider the lives affected by something like snowfall. Fix your attitude.

You are of course correct, but the hotels and ski areas "can deal with it".

Also, please do not classify us as "Eastern Europe" in the future. "Eastern Europe" is the area that was beyond the wall/curtain then. We are "Central Europe".

Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies