Is having a small number of state legislators undemocratic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:44:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is having a small number of state legislators undemocratic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is having a small number of state legislators undemocratic?  (Read 398 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »

I was reading this:

I've never realized until now that a California state senator represents a larger constituency than a Californian serving in the United States House of Representatives.

Somewhat impressive. 

Same with Texas.

I'd argue that both states should expand their state senate's to correct that, but interesting regardless.

And I was thinking....does there need to be more seats in the state legislatures? In the CA State Assembly there are 80 members, so each member represents at least 465,000 people. Why not at least double it to 160? New York has 150 members. Texas also has 150 members, and each district represents about 150,000 people. New Hampshire is probably the most democratic, in that it has 400 members representing about 3,300 people. I understand that CA is more populous, but it's just the democratic ratio that I have an issue with. Why not have the CA assembly at 320 members?

I remember from Reynolds v. Sims http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_v._Sims that the districts have to be fairly equal in population, but what if they were equal but fewer? What if the state of CA reduced their Senate to 10 members and their Assembly to 20? Is this a problem?

Or is the main reason that the actual legislative chambers don't have enough room?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »

The referendum system in the states cancels it out.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »

Direct democracy is the answer whether we like what the people vote for or not.  If they're making mistakes, they will probably learn.  Having a representative is an "outdated" practice (from a time when there was no internet and traveling was more difficult) and only results to the creation of a well-paid and corrupt oligarchy that ends up serving the interests of lobbyists, not the people who vote for them.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »

I agree that State legislatures should be constitutionally mandated to keep their representation to around 100,000-250,000 per representative.

The U.S. House should be in line for an expansion, possibly, as well, although that could get messy.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:37:05 PM »

Not necessarily.

An advantage to a relatively small number of State Senators or what have you is that individual legislators have greater influence.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:18:12 PM »

The US Senate is extremely non democratic, with California having a population of 65 times as much as Wyoming, and yet having the same representation. The New York State Senate utilizes a purposeful difference of 10% to benefit Republicans. But having fewer members isn't of itself undemocratic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies