Have you ever seen a ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:33:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever seen a ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If so, which kind of "Yahtzee"?
7 cloverleaves
7 ladybugs
7 horseshoes
7 lucky pigs
7 chimney sweepers
7 fly agarics
7 sevens
none
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Have you ever seen a ...  (Read 444 times)
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:49:17 PM »

... "Yahtzee" in my signature (bar the 7 default cloverleaves at the beginning)?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »

Since there are 7 symbols and 7 positions with 7 possible combinations that match the chance that any one combination is a match is 1 in 117,649. The left position changes about once a second, the the rate of change drops to the right, so that there are approximately 2 combinations each second. The mean time to see a match is about 16 hours.

I haven't watched long enough so I voted none.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »

Since there are 7 symbols and 7 positions with 7 possible combinations that match the chance that any one combination is a match is 1 in 117,649. The left position changes about once a second, the the rate of change drops to the right, so that there are approximately 2 combinations each second. The mean time to see a match is about 16 hours.

Is it even possible to see each possible combinations? I have already seen 7 sevens and 7 cloverleaves, so I know these combinations work. But what about the others?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »

On a related note, the frogs legs in your second pic give me the heebie-jeebies.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:38:40 PM »

On a related note, the frogs legs in your second pic give me the heebie-jeebies.

They are already dead. Shall I delete them?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »

They are already dead. Shall I delete them?

no.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:55:41 AM »

solarstorm you are so odd.

I love it
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:20:48 AM »

If you pay attention each gif is actually the same cycle of images, with the far left image changing every second, the next image changing every other second, the third changing every three seconds, etc. The whole thing should cycle back to the seven clovers every 5880 seconds but I don't know how to do the math to check if/when specific combinations of symbols would occur
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »

If you pay attention each gif is actually the same cycle of images, with the far left image changing every second, the next image changing every other second, the third changing every three seconds, etc. The whole thing should cycle back to the seven clovers every 5880 seconds but I don't know how to do the math to check if/when specific combinations of symbols would occur

I see that now. However when I first posted the flips were not synchronized, but now they are. I don't know if it was my service or the reboot of this 4-year old laptop that made the difference.

Correction, now I see them as almost synchronized, so that the left one changes a moment before the next one to the right set to change does. The flips are short enough that it still holds the pattern for most of the second. When I was made my earlier post the synch was far enough off that the pattern for that second didn't hold.

Now it's the second tile that's first to flip. Hmm. I have less than perfect synchronization.

If they are synched the number of combinations should be (3*4*5*7)*7 = 2940 or a repeat every 49 minutes. That's a lot smaller than the number of possible displays if taken randomly. Since it starts at all cloverleafs and the last step must be all sevens, those two patterns must come up. The relative primes in the sequence should prevent other patterns that are all the same (except when there are synch problems).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies