I went to church in a suburb today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:54:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I went to church in a suburb today
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I went to church in a suburb today  (Read 3207 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:40:22 AM »

Well technically yesterday now...but anyway feels kind of odd. I wanted to check out someplace new but obviously still youthful and I knew of such a place with a 7PM service...but it happens to actually sit in a suburb. Within walking distance of the Minneapolis city limits...but still. Although interestingly it's actually a mostly Jewish suburb, meaning you'd expect almost all the people there to not be from there but rather Linden Hills yuppies or the Uptown crowd, which was quite obviously the case.

But regardless that and going to a show in a suburb earlier this year feels weird as f[inks]. Oh well it's a nice place. I might go back sometime.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:54:46 AM »

RIP BRTD, FF. Cry
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:06:34 AM »

TWO trips to the burbs? At this pace BRTD will be wearing a sweater vest and a bowtie by 2016.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »

TWO trips to the burbs? At this pace BRTD will be wearing a sweater vest and a bowtie by 2016.

Send the man his 2016 Republican primary ballot! 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »

HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »

Well technically yesterday now...but anyway feels kind of odd. I wanted to check out someplace new but obviously still youthful and I knew of such a place with a 7PM service...but it happens to actually sit in a suburb. Within walking distance of the Minneapolis city limits...but still. Although interestingly it's actually a mostly Jewish suburb, meaning you'd expect almost all the people there to not be from there but rather Linden Hills yuppies or the Uptown crowd, which was quite obviously the case.

But regardless that and going to a show in a suburb earlier this year feels weird as f[inks]. Oh well it's a nice place. I might go back sometime.

BRTD, I'd be thrilled if you dropped all this Christianity nonsense, but it's nice to see you experiencing immediate suburbs.  I live in one, you can walk down the block and see extreme Northeast Philadelphia over the river, and it's not bad at all.  The only drawback is the need for a car if the bus ride to Camden (about 40 mins) proves to be too much. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »

RIP Jewish suburb. Used to be such a nice place.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »

Which suburb?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:46:07 AM »

BRTD, I'd be thrilled if you dropped all this Christianity nonsense, but it's nice to see you experiencing immediate suburbs.  I live in one, you can walk down the block and see extreme Northeast Philadelphia over the river, and it's not bad at all.  The only drawback is the need for a car if the bus ride to Camden (about 40 mins) proves to be too much. 

The problem is that Northeast Philly sounds pretty boring based on Phil's descriptions. To live in the cool part of the city I'd have to be well within city limits.

FWIW though this suburb gave us Al Franken and the Coen brothers, so it's quite a bit unlike the rest of them.

I thought it was kind of easy to figure out. Though I basically gave it away in the response to HockeyDude above.

RIP Jewish suburb. Used to be such a nice place.

Huh?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »

Also something kind of ironic but that I certainly have no problem with, this place basically looked like a strip club. As in it no normal overhead lighting, just a bunch of neon lights around and a couple hanging from the ceiling. They were probably aiming for a look more like a rave or at the bigger music venues I go to, but the actual lighting colors was more similar to local strip clubs. Heh.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 12:57:07 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 01:03:05 AM by incredibly specific types of post-punk music »

But to elaborate a bit to HockeyDude:

The thing with this suburb (still not naming it since it should be REALLY obvious by now) is that it's actually about equal distance from "cool" part of Minneapolis as I am, and actually has a lot of new urbanist design and pretty walking friendly (not true of just it, but also the area right to its south, it seems that's a big thing in the southwest metro in general.) However it's also probably at least 25% more expensive across the board than if you just lived in the city. Where I live is perfect since it's basically where the border between the "hipster area" and the ghetto gets blurred, so it's overall pretty cheap, is not too dangerous (whether its the ghetto or hipster filled depends on who you talk to I've noticed, no one except the people who live here seem to realize it's actually an interesting mix of both) AND has easy access to both uptown and downtown Minneapolis. I can walk to both comfortably 9 months out of the year and have easy bus access as well. Living there would mean being far from downtown and paying more. I suppose it wouldn't be bad if you had the money and cared mostly about all the upscale stores to shop at and luxury apartments instead of the concrete box style that I live in but it's not really for me.

It is however a good reminder of something I said earlier about how rich Democratic areas have better aesthetic taste than rich Republican areas. A bunch of luxury condos in immediate walking distance of a shopping district of overpriced clothing and jewelry stores isn't exactly my thing, but I'll take it any day over a bunch of trashy McMansions sprawling around in an area where you have to drive a half hour to go shopping anywhere.

Also I'm still confused by memphis' comment. Said suburb isn't going anywhere or making massive changes.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 05:47:32 AM »

Woah!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 08:32:53 AM »

BRTD, I'm really confused about why you can't say "St. Louis Park".  Is it taboo for you to mention the name of a suburb that you've visited? Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »

I was trying to see if anyone would get it. Since as I noted, it was pretty obvious.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »

The thing with this suburb (still not naming it since it should be REALLY obvious by now) is that it's actually about equal distance from "cool" part of Minneapolis as I am, and actually has a lot of new urbanist design and pretty walking friendly (not true of just it, but also the area right to its south, it seems that's a big thing in the southwest metro in general.) However it's also probably at least 25% more expensive across the board than if you just lived in the city. Where I live is perfect since it's basically where the border between the "hipster area" and the ghetto gets blurred, so it's overall pretty cheap, is not too dangerous (whether its the ghetto or hipster filled depends on who you talk to I've noticed, no one except the people who live here seem to realize it's actually an interesting mix of both) AND has easy access to both uptown and downtown Minneapolis. I can walk to both comfortably 9 months out of the year and have easy bus access as well. Living there would mean being far from downtown and paying more. I suppose it wouldn't be bad if you had the money and cared mostly about all the upscale stores to shop at and luxury apartments instead of the concrete box style that I live in but it's not really for me.

It is however a good reminder of something I said earlier about how rich Democratic areas have better aesthetic taste than rich Republican areas. A bunch of luxury condos in immediate walking distance of a shopping district of overpriced clothing and jewelry stores isn't exactly my thing, but I'll take it any day over a bunch of trashy McMansions sprawling around in an area where you have to drive a half hour to go shopping anywhere.

Also I'm still confused by memphis' comment. Said suburb isn't going anywhere or making massive changes.

Well said.  A lot of people give those types of Democratic areas a bad rep because people in general tend to respond very negatively to perceived smug and snootiness.  But hell, at least they are voting for progressive candidates, buying from small business, and probably giving to charity or causes.  And obviously, they aren't afraid to live near people different from them and well-cultured. 

The parasites that live in the McMansions do all of their harm from afar because the sight of anyone dissimilar to them makes their conservative butthole tighten to the nth degree.  At least it keeps them away from us until the RNC decides it's convention time in the city proper. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »

BRTD is slowly going over to the Dark Side. Sad
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2014, 09:16:53 PM by incredibly specific types of post-punk music »

So I went there again today. I have to say I'm quite happy that I did because despite being technically in a suburb this service was TOTAL SJW to the max. The sermon series for Advent is about reconciliation, and the speaker (who was actually the band leader) opted to talk about reconciliation in race, and talked about Michael Brown and the protests, brought up the CIA memos about torture and how people might try to justify such violence because of violence against us in 9/11 and at one point said "There are five things about me that give me great privilege: One is that I'm male, two is that I'm white, three is that I'm straight, fourth is that I'm American and fifth is that I'm Christian" and that most of those probably applied to most of us in the all white room. Remember when I brought up church sermons that resemble Upworthy videos? This was like PURE Upworthy and if I recorded it it could probably easily end up on there. "What This Worship Band Leader Has To Say May Be Hard To Hear For Those With Privilege, And That's Why You Need To"

Dammit if only Bushie would go to a place like this. Alas they probably don't exist in Oklahoma. Sad

Also in an odd mix, I bet all of DC Al Fine, Simfan and Nathan would be utterly horrified.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 09:18:14 PM »

Just throwing this out there, but how often does this minister actually preach the gospel?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »

Just throwing this out there, but how often does this minister actually preach the gospel?

He's not a minister. He's the leader of the worship band.

As to how often, I don't know as I've only been there twice and he wasn't the speaker the first time. The first time's sermon was far more gospel-focused, but it was also from a woman.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 09:58:18 PM »

Sounds like a terrific church BRTD. If only all religiouses could be like you and your pals. Sad
GaussLaw
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »

Any church that doesn't discuss salvation and Jesus's gift at the forefront is a shame. Sad

Nontheless, there probably is merit to some of those SJW messages, but there must be an emphasis on the Gospel, that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 10:59:17 PM »

Any church that doesn't discuss salvation and Jesus's gift at the forefront is a shame. Sad

Nontheless, there probably is merit to some of those SJW messages, but there must be an emphasis on the Gospel, that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

The problem is trying to find an appropriate balance.  Too many churches go too far the other way, overemphasizing Christ the King and neglecting Christ the Servant.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 12:59:05 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2016, 01:00:46 AM by White Light »

Send the man his 2016 Republican primary ballot!  

This is kind of ironic in hindsight. The two posters who posted before this post will be voting in the Republican primary this year, and I will not be.

That said, I had a frightening realization today: Most people at church are probably voting for Sanders. AKA they're not voting for my candidate, and I'm associating with people who are voting differently from me in some way. Which is pretty bizarre.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 01:42:20 AM »

Well said.  A lot of people give those types of Democratic areas a bad rep because people in general tend to respond very negatively to perceived smug and snootiness.  But hell, at least they are voting for progressive candidates, buying from small business, and probably giving to charity or causes.  And obviously, they aren't afraid to live near people different from them and well-cultured. 

The parasites that live in the McMansions do all of their harm from afar because the sight of anyone dissimilar to them makes their conservative butthole tighten to the nth degree.  At least it keeps them away from us until the RNC decides it's convention time in the city proper. 

LOL, you Dems have quite the opinion of yourselves.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 06:06:15 AM »

There are also "synagogues" like this, at least in the US. Wouldn't enter them if I got payed big money for it, and that's quite the Jewish dilemma Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies