I went to church in a suburb today (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:26:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I went to church in a suburb today (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I went to church in a suburb today  (Read 3293 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 01, 2016, 12:42:36 PM »
« edited: February 01, 2016, 12:45:27 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

No, there's actually quite a difference. Said synagogues tend to be very loose in terms of theology too and are more just social clubs for ethnic Jews. But this church and the rest of the emergent church movement like it are pretty orthodox (small "o") theologically and it's really NOT possible for anyone going to be simply "culturally emergent", if you're an adult and you go to an emergent church, you have to be a convert. (Well I suppose it's possible if you're in your very early twenties and your parents were very early adopters of it, but that's a miniscule number of people.) And thus there is not any real connection to ethnic background in numbers either. (well except for being almost all white people) No one goes to an emergent church just because they are "culturally" Christian, it's because they believe in Jesus Christ.
I'm actually not sure. While I would agree that many Jews who go to such "temples" do not necessarily believe in the G-d of mainstream orthodox Judaism, I don't think Thomas from NJ would agree with the St. Louis Park church's characterization of the Christian God either. Some Reform temples are, indeed, more ethnic "social clubs" than actual congregations, but in many Reform temples (particularly in the most SJW-like ones), people do believe that it is upon the Jews to be a light to the world and to contribute to repairing the world ("tikkun olam"), and here's where the SJW angle becomes relevant. This is, by the way, theological garbage, as is explained here, but people still perceive Judaism that way and my opinion of this phenomenon is therefore not really relevant, just as Thomas from NJ's opinion of SJW churches' theology doesn't change the fact that there are Christians who do believe in Jesus as an "all liberal, all the time" SJW.

Also don't forget "faith" is much less of a necessity to function in a Jewish congregation than in a Christian congregation to begin with. For instance, I have no idea if the hazzan of my (orthodox) shul believes in G-d (though probably he does), and I'm even less sure about my fellow congregants. It does not really matter.

Your post about the sermon you attended, by the way, immediately reminded me of this.

This wouldn't surprise me with a Reformed Jewish temple, but I'm a little surprised that it is the case for an Orthodox Jewish synagogue.  I would tend to think that the myriad of requirements (like eating kosher and observing the sabbath) for being an observant Orthodox Jew would discourage people with little faith from staying in the fold - is that due to the social benefits/cohesion of being in that group?

Also, I thought your statement about tikkun olam was interesting - that seems to explain the social justice tendencies of many Jews, especially more secular ones like Bernie Sanders.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:49:50 PM »

Interesting.....I guess my question is, what is the additional "draw" that would get people to go to a Jewish service regardless of belief that does not exist in Christianity?  Is it shared lineage/experience/culture?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies