Opinion of the Quakers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:57:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of the Quakers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: the Society of Friends
FR

HR

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Opinion of the Quakers  (Read 13204 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:04:24 PM »

Freedom Religion IMO, probably the best branch of Christianity.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »

One of the few branches of Christianity I have any time for. Very good allies in most of the activism I'm involved in.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »

FR.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »

One of the few branches of Christianity I have any time for. Very good allies in most of the activism I'm involved in.
Mixed.  I like their ideals, but based on the one service I attended a little over a year ago, it seemed like they paid more attention to their activism than to their relationship with God. Granted, that could just be the local congregation's emphasis.  While social justice is an important aspect of one's relationship with God, it isn't the sole aspect.  I might have been a bit jaundiced by the after service activity being us writing letters petitioning our Congresscritters to not make the cuts to SNAP that were being bandied about just then. I did deviate from the suggested script of the letters we were asked to write by emphasizing that I felt that cutting the bloated farm subsidies in the bill would be a better way to reduce the deficit than cutting SNAP.  However, besides the futility of such letters given who our Congresscritters are, it seems to me religious social activism should be more about doing things that need doing yourself than about nagging government to do them for us.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »

I voted freedom fighters, although if you think they are fighters you know nothing about the religion!

Oh! fr not ff, never mind! Sad
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »

Epic Freedom Religion for their tireless support of racial and gender equality.

Very good allies in most of the activism I'm involved in.
This.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:44:30 PM »

Epic Freedom Religion for their tireless support of racial and gender equality.

Very good allies in most of the activism I'm involved in.
This.

This.  Some of the first abolitionists.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2014, 06:39:25 PM by traininthedistance »

The best religion, bar none.  I briefly identified as one, and may yet again in the future if I once again feel the pull of faith, if/when my internal pendulum swings towards the spiritual and idealistic, rather than my current cynical pragmatism.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »

Certainly you can go trace Abe Lincoln's ancestors, the great emancipator himself, who had Quakers in his family tree,

Certainly Nixon, who had some black influence to the black community and went ahead and appointed Harry Blackmun to the SCOTUS to bus black school children to desegregated schools.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »

They're a nice bunch.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 01:48:33 PM »

More than that, they are a genuinely nice bunch.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 03:43:56 PM »

Ben Franklin, Abe Lincoln, Hoover and Nixon were all Quakers.

Until the Reagan Revolution, blacks still had alleigance to all four of them.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 06:46:32 PM »

The best kind of Christians.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »

Comrades.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »

FFs.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 06:58:42 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2014, 07:21:24 PM by OC »

They were Calvinistic just like the Puritans.  The only difference between the two, religions, which they believed in salvation and strictly going by the bible, not by the minister, is that the Quakers didn't see the inequal treatment of Blacks or Indians as being a way of life.  People like Abe Lincoln

On the other hand Puritans like George Washington blended in with the culture and believed in inequalithy of the races and believed strongly in slavery.

Both sects fled Europe on account of Church of England.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 08:01:25 AM »

George Washington was many things, but a Puritan he most assuredly was not, as he was a member of the Church of England before the revolution.  Nor were the Puritans much for blending in.  That's the whole reason they left their exile in the Netherlands to come to Plymouth, they were worried their kids were picking up Dutch ways rather than their own.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 01:23:58 PM »

One of the best, if not the best, religious groups I can think of.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »

Lincoln was a Quaker? Tongue
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 03:11:57 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2015, 04:23:06 AM by OC »

Quaker ancestory was Lincoln.

At any rate, they were all formed from the Dutch Reformation, or Martin Lutherism and each sect had it distinctions whether it was Protestant, or Puritans, or Quakers. And Quakers were unique in that they didn't believe in inferiority of the races.

Supported Underground railroad through Gettysburg, that crippled the Confederate army there where the slave fled and helped Grant forces defeat them there at Bull Rum that changed the tied in Pennsylvania in the war.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 05:53:14 PM »

Wow, lots of bad history in this thread.

Ben Franklin, Abe Lincoln, Hoover and Nixon were all Quakers.

Neither Franklin nor Lincoln were Quakers. Franklin was from a Congregational (Puritan) background, Lincoln was from a Primitive Baptist background, and both had complicated views on religion.

They were Calvinistic just like the Puritans.  The only difference between the two, religions, which they believed in salvation and strictly going by the bible, not by the minister, is that the Quakers didn't see the inequal treatment of Blacks or Indians as being a way of life.  People like Abe Lincoln

Quakers were never particularly Calvinistic; at most you can say that they emerged during a time (the English Civil War) when Puritans had a lot of influence in England. There are a lot of differences between Quakers and Puritans, including the doctrine of limited atonement, the structure of the church, the doctrine of the Inner Light, etc. It's also worth noting that by the time of the Civil War, Congregationalists and Quakers were generally allied against slavery, so that's not really much of a difference.

On the other hand Puritans like George Washington blended in with the culture and believed in inequalithy of the races and believed strongly in slavery.

Washington was not a Puritan, as has already been stated. He was an Episcopalian.

Nor were the Puritans much for blending in.  That's the whole reason they left their exile in the Netherlands to come to Plymouth, they were worried their kids were picking up Dutch ways rather than their own.

The Puritans weren't the ones who came to Plymouth, those were the Pilgrims. They were both Calvinist groups, and ended up blending together when the Puritans flooded into New England not long after the Pilgrims, but they were different people to begin with. They had different ideas about their relationship the Church of England, and tended to come from different parts of England.

At any rate, they were all formed from the Dutch Reformation, or Martin Lutherism and each sect had it distinctions whether it was Protestant, or Puritans, or Quakers. And Quakers were unique in that they didn't believe in inferiority of the races.

Puritans and Quakers were both Protestant, with Puritans I suppose influenced by the Reformation in the Netherlands, and the Quakers being more of their own, specially British thing.

Supported Underground railroad through Gettysburg, that crippled the Confederate army there where the slave fled and helped Grant forces defeat them there at Bull Rum that changed the tied in Pennsylvania in the war.

If I'm parsing this correctly, you're saying that the Quakers made the Underground Railroad to move the slaves to Gettysburg, where the slaves (or Quakers?) helped Grant beat the Confederates at Bull Run? ...What?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2015, 02:15:17 PM by OC »

No, I meant that before the battle of Gettysburg, the slaves who were assisted by Quakers were had already escaped which already crippled the Confederates in the south.

But, it was Grant's courage who had sent the Confederates packing and therefore, the Emancipation Proclamation was issued.  But, had the slaves not been freed, the war would have been lost, which was through PA and Quakers and Underground railroad.

Lincoln said if he would have kept the Nation together without freeing the slaves, he would have done so.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 01:02:40 AM »

No, I meant that before the battle of Gettysburg, the slaves who were assisted by Quakers were had already escaped which already crippled the Confederates in the south.

But, it was Grant's courage who had sent the Confederates packing and therefore, the Emancipation Proclamation was issued.  But, had the slaves not been freed, the war would have been lost, which was through PA and Quakers and Underground railroad.

Lincoln said if he would have kept the Nation together without freeing the slaves, he would have done so.

Oh wow.  So much ignorance.  While the Underground Railroad was symbolically problematic for the South, it certainly didn't cripple or even harm Southern slavery. Even at its peak, the natural increase of Southern slaves was considerably greater than the number who ran away to the North or to Canada.  If anything, by providing an escape valve for those who were least able to tolerate being slaves, it probably made the institution stronger.

Grant was nowhere near Gettysburg and was busy with the siege of Vicksburg.  Meade was in charge of the Army of the Potomac at Gettysburg, and it wouldn't be for another eight months that Grant would be made Lieutenant General and come east.  Furthermore, the Emancipation Proclamation was issued after the battle of Sharpsburg the previous year when McClellan stopped Lee's 1862 invasion along Appomattox Creek.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 03:46:26 AM »

Their relative progressiveness is admirable.  They earn a FR.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 06:28:22 PM »

Unless you're a Mahar/Jillete/Hitchens type atheist, there's no reason to vote HP.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies