Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:30:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18
Author Topic: Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)  (Read 48393 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2014, 12:21:24 AM »

I'm avoiding this story for multitude of reasons EXCEPT this common point bugs me:

If you're going to riot and burn things, why would you do it to your own town?

It is NOT their OWN town, their OWN community. They don't actually own it. They don't own homes, they don't own businesses, many of them have to take public transportation. They don't pay property taxes. Ferguson, MO is just a place they happen to be stuck living in, not their own community.

That's why it's not that hard to imagine why people there would be so comfortable in destroying it.

They are destroying rented homes, rented businesses, and rioting on rented streets. No liability to them.

If you want a black community that isn't prone to "destroying their own community in riots" you need to give them opportunity for their own communities first.

Don't most businesses in most non-rural communities rent the property they use?

I think the point is they aren't "locally" owned. You've got corporate chains like Walmart and McDonald's. Probably some convenience stores and check cashing places whose owners are likely Asians or absentee whites. As far as businesses owned by people who are "from the community" I doubt there are many apart from perhaps the local barbershop or car repair place.

The number of  black-owned businesses there may be disproportionately small, but for those that are there it is a real pain to have to deal with this.
http://blog.blackbusiness.org/2014/08/black-businesses-in-ferguson-missouri-recovering-from-looting.html
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2014, 12:21:34 AM »

NYC weirdness. Bratton sprayed with fake blood!

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/11/photos_on_social_media_show_po.html
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2014, 12:36:39 AM »

I heard there is rioting in Oakland. That can't be true, can it? I can't find anything on TV or the internet, so I assume that is a false alarm.

Oakland is always a powder keg. The combination of lots of tensions with the local police, and by far the most radicalized branch of Occupy anywhere.

Reportedly just some peaceful protests in NY, and I expect it to stay that way.

It would have been shocking if there wasn't a protest in Oakland right now.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2014, 12:41:10 AM »

If it wasn't so cold I'd be curious in north Minneapolis now, but I bet nothing is happening for the same reason I'm not going outside to check anything out.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2014, 12:50:48 AM »

http://www.reddit.com/live/tdrph3y49ftn/

"We have pulled back for now, things are getting way too dangerous. Stay tuned. #Ferguson"
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2014, 12:54:54 AM »

This is so disgusting. Seriously sad. Sad

A former Civil Rights activist was just on Fox News Channel and said, "Martin Luther King is spinning in his grave".
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2014, 01:13:48 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 07:51:28 AM by True Federalist »

This is a embarrassment.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2014, 01:17:16 AM »

A CNN reporter just got nailed with a rock live on the air.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2014, 01:18:18 AM »

I'm avoiding this story for multitude of reasons EXCEPT this common point bugs me:

If you're going to riot and burn things, why would you do it to your own town?

It is NOT their OWN town, their OWN community. They don't actually own it. They don't own homes, they don't own businesses, many of them have to take public transportation. They don't pay property taxes. Ferguson, MO is just a place they happen to be stuck living in, not their own community.

That's why it's not that hard to imagine why people there would be so comfortable in destroying it.

They are destroying rented homes, rented businesses, and rioting on rented streets. No liability to them.

If you want a black community that isn't prone to "destroying their own community in riots" you need to give them opportunity for their own communities first.

Don't most businesses in most non-rural communities rent the property they use?

I think the point is they aren't "locally" owned. You've got corporate chains like Walmart and McDonald's. Probably some convenience stores and check cashing places whose owners are likely Asians or absentee whites. As far as businesses owned by people who are "from the community" I doubt there are many apart from perhaps the local barbershop or car repair place.

The number of  black-owned businesses there may be disproportionately small, but for those that are there it is a real pain to have to deal with this.
http://blog.blackbusiness.org/2014/08/black-businesses-in-ferguson-missouri-recovering-from-looting.html

And apparently the Sam's Meat Market in that story has now been torched.  Nice job looters.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2014, 01:21:38 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8LHKNX_q34
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2014, 01:26:35 AM »

The fact that some liberals earlier in this thread were cheering this violence on is disgusting. Think of all the people who will be out of work after this.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2014, 01:30:50 AM »

Countless buildings on fire at this point. A sad night on multiple levels.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:48 AM »

This place is currently on fire:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/27/1325030/-Heal-STL-Opens-Storefront-In-Ferguson-to-Register-and-Organize-Black-Voters
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2014, 01:41:20 AM »

A sad verdict and a sad aftermath. .000068% of prosecutions in the most recent year of data were declined by the grand jury. The ham sandwich standard continues to not be evident when a cop is involved, race aside even. And the rioting - disgusting and worsens the cause. The people telling the story are the peaceful protesters lining the streets of New York and Chicago and Oakland and Seattle that are actually making this an issue to be discussed, not a f****ng circus. But those protesters won't be largely covered - it's all about the riots.

Sad
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2014, 01:44:16 AM »

The vibe I got from the Prosecutor was that this would have likely never even been looked at, but due to the publicity they gave it a fair shot. No indictment doesn't mean you riot. White people did not riot after O.J.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2014, 01:46:57 AM »

The vibe I got from the Prosecutor was that this would have likely never even been looked at, but due to the publicity they gave it a fair shot. No indictment doesn't mean you riot. White people did not riot after O.J.

Thanks for that distinction.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2014, 01:52:52 AM »

White people torching cars and vandalising crap after their sports team loses - "Ah, just a bunch of drunk people"

Black people doing same after a major miscarriage of justice - "OMFG BLACK CULTURE!!"
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2014, 01:53:54 AM »

I don't mean to hit a nerve, but you know it's the truth. If Michael Brown were white, would Barack Obama have spoken to the country tonight?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2014, 01:56:26 AM »

Why is it a miscarriage of justice? None of you were on the Grand Jury so how would any of you be able to say that with confidence?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2014, 01:59:24 AM »

I don't mean to hit a nerve, but you know it's the truth. If Michael Brown were white, would Barack Obama have spoken to the country tonight?

He wouldn't be dead if he was white.
Foucaulf
« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2014, 02:05:14 AM »

Why is it a miscarriage of justice? None of you were on the Grand Jury so how would any of you be able to say that with confidence?

Most of the transcripts from the Grand Jury was released, and people are poring through them. I don't have any excerpts off the top of my head, but people are finding inconsistencies in testimonies apart from those in Brown's support.

If you want to feel superior by saying how "there were no wounds to his back!" I can say "why is an incident where a policeman unloaded a clip not even deserving of a trial?"
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2014, 02:18:41 AM »

No, because he'd never have been shot to death.

F**k you and your condescending attitude towards how you think black people should handle being murdered. You are the worst.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2014, 02:22:46 AM »

F**k you and your condescending attitude towards how you think black people should handle being murdered. You are the worst.

It wasn't murder. It was a police officer doing his job. You are just saying this because you're angry you didn't get the result you wanted.

Like Mark Fuhrman said earlier on Fox News, people who think like you are , "completely irrational, delusional and completely incapable of absorbing facts that are forensic in nature, that are eyewitness in nature, that are from the very person that was getting attacked in the car. So there is really no way you’re going to get any kind of reasonable dialogue from somebody that’s decided that Michael Brown was murdered.”
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2014, 02:29:31 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 02:39:27 AM by angryGreatness »

It wasn't murder. It was a police officer doing his job. You are just saying this because you're angry you didn't get the result you wanted.

Like Mark Fuhrman said earlier on Fox News, people who think like you are , "completely irrational, delusional and completely incapable of absorbing facts that are forensic in nature, that are eyewitness in nature, that are from the very person that was getting attacked in the car. So there is really no way you’re going to get any kind of reasonable dialogue from somebody that’s decided that Michael Brown was murdered.”

I'm looking at the forensic evidence that says an unarmed man was shot multiple times, the eyewitnesses that said Wilson stood over Brown's body, and you're saying that I should trust that Darren Wilson is innocent because Darren Wilson said he was? And on top of all that, anyone who disagrees with you is just some raving idiot who thinks police can lie and that the police can do wrong? Oh and don't even get me started on the dog-whistling about how Michael Brown supporters are impossible to talk to.

Enjoy hanging out with the KKK at the Darren Wilson Victory party.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2014, 02:43:17 AM »

You know, black-white relationships isn't the reason why he wasn't indicted.

In Quebec, we had various issues of policemen shooting on people without reason or speeding without reason, crashing into cars and killing people. Guess what? No indictments, even if both the policeman and the victim were very white. Police and prosecutors cover each other. Thankfully, Quebec gets a reform of that next year (well, the reform is done, but there is normal delays, you can't create a new structure the day the bill passes).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies