Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:07:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18
Author Topic: Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)  (Read 48233 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2014, 12:10:59 PM »

The definitive tragedy in all of this is how a murder of an innocent person was taken over by our sensationalist media and politicized so no real change will ever come.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2014, 12:25:03 PM »

The definitive tragedy in all of this is how a murder of an innocent person was taken over by our sensationalist media and politicized so no real change will ever come.

What on earth are you talking about? The media is not culpable here. The racist f**king pigs that enforce the "law" in Ferguson are.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 01:27:55 PM by memphis »

No, a death is not a worse thing than a media circus. It's a shame that the "news" operates the way as it does, but the greatest tragedy is still that a real person is now dead.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #228 on: November 25, 2014, 01:12:10 PM »

Unbelievable is the right word. Crazy stuff...

http://www.vox.com/2014/11/25/7281165/darren-wilsons-story-side

"I was doing the, just scrambling, trying to get his arms out of my face and him from grabbing me and everything else. He turned to his...if he's at my vehicle, he turned to his left and handed the first subject. He said, "here, take these." He was holding a pack of — several packs of cigarillos which was just, what was stolen from the Market Store was several packs of cigarillos. He said, "here, hold these" and when he did that I grabbed his right arm trying just to control something at that point. Um, as I was holding it, and he came around, he came around with his arm extended, fist made, and went like that straight at my face with his...a full swing from his left hand."
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #229 on: November 25, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »

Unfortunately, it's very, very rare for a police officer to get indicted. I am not surprised he wasn't. Most laypeople look at law enforcement as good people who has no ill will towards anyone, and thus police brutality is goes largely unchecked.

The rioting and looting doesn't do much to help the plight of those affected either. It is merely reinforcing the stereotypes that many racists have about the black community. What does it accomplish?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #230 on: November 25, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »

What's the best way to get back at Da Man?  Burn your own town down and fyck your own people over, of course.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #231 on: November 25, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »

Unfortunately, it's very, very rare for a police officer to get indicted. I am not surprised he wasn't. Most laypeople look at law enforcement as good people who has no ill will towards anyone, and thus police brutality is goes largely unchecked.

The rioting and looting doesn't do much to help the plight of those affected either. It is merely reinforcing the stereotypes that many racists have about the black community. What does it accomplish?

The rioting and looting is an expression of inchoate rage at being powerless. I don't imagine that it's calculated to accomplish anything.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »

"I was doing the, just scrambling, trying to get his arms out of my face and him from grabbing me and everything else. He turned to his...if he's at my vehicle, he turned to his left and handed the first subject. He said, "here, take these." He was holding a pack of — several packs of cigarillos which was just, what was stolen from the Market Store was several packs of cigarillos. He said, "here, hold these" and when he did that I grabbed his right arm trying just to control something at that point. Um, as I was holding it, and he came around, he came around with his arm extended, fist made, and went like that straight at my face with his...a full swing from his left hand."

I can't even tell what set of actions this is purporting to describe.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »

The rioting and looting is an expression of inchoate rage at being powerless. I don't imagine that it's calculated to accomplish anything.

People do this because there is nothing left to do?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #234 on: November 25, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »

It seems, from what is up in the NYTimes, that the prosecutors really wanted to avoid the indictment.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »

It seems, from what is up in the NYTimes, that the prosecutors really wanted to avoid the indictment.

That is blatantly obvious.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »

Yes, the whole thing has been an exceedingly large and hugely dispiriting charade.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #237 on: November 25, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »

I can't even tell what set of actions this is purporting to describe.

As the article goes on to say:

"So Brown is punching inside the car. Wilson is scrambling to deflect the blows, to protect his face, to regain control of the situation. And then Brown stops, turns to his left, says to his friend, "Here, hold these," and hands him the cigarillos stolen from Ferguson Market. Then he turns back to Wilson and, with his left hand now freed from holding the contraband goods, throws a haymaker at Wilson."

When presented step by step, as the article does, Wilson's story is one of the most counterintuitive and unbelievable tales I have ever heard. I just doesn't make sense for Brown to have acted the way Wilson claims he did.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »

Well, if he was a demon then he doesn't have to have acted according to human ideas of rationality. Case closed.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2014, 02:58:28 PM »

What about Wilson's story is unbelievable exactly?  I think every story you tell with these stakes is not necessarily believable.  Obviously, someone is not going to readily tell the truth if it implicates them in a murder, right?

But, I think the main point people are making is that Wilson could have used non-lethal force to subdue Brown. 
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »

What about Wilson's story is unbelievable exactly?  I think every story you tell with these stakes is not necessarily believable.  Obviously, someone is not going to readily tell the truth if it implicates them in a murder, right?

But, I think the main point people are making is that Wilson could have used non-lethal force to subdue Brown. 

Maybe the part when Michael Brown stops in the middle of beating Wilson to say, "Comrade Johnson, would you mind holding my stolen goods for me so I can more readily assault this police officer? Thank you kindly."
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2014, 03:17:22 PM »

Well, seems like this has once against completely broken down along party and/or ideological lines, furthering my assumption that at the heart of American conservatism is something very, very bad. 

Strange, because I remember that a lot of conservatives I know (including my parents) thought that Zimmerman was guilty.  I'm sure it's the same with this.  As soon as I heard the report I thought that Wilson shouldn't have shot the teenager.  And I'm very conservative.

You're the exception and not the rule then.  

Stay close minded if you wish, but there have been several blue avatars condemning the police on here ... Similarly, there have been several red avatars condemning the looters (as would be expected).
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2014, 03:21:35 PM »

Well, seems like this has once against completely broken down along party and/or ideological lines, furthering my assumption that at the heart of American conservatism is something very, very bad. 

Strange, because I remember that a lot of conservatives I know (including my parents) thought that Zimmerman was guilty.  I'm sure it's the same with this.  As soon as I heard the report I thought that Wilson shouldn't have shot the teenager.  And I'm very conservative.

You're the exception and not the rule then.  

Stay close minded if you wish, but there have been several blue avatars condemning the police on here ... Similarly, there have been several red avatars condemning the looters (as would be expected).

Yeah, some of our liberal posters are pretty awful like that.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »

Maybe the part when Michael Brown stops in the middle of beating Wilson to say, "Comrade Johnson, would you mind holding my stolen goods for me so I can more readily assault this police officer? Thank you kindly."

Why is that unbelievable?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »

You...you're kidding, right? You find that bit of the story to be credible?

Do you also find it credible that Wilson was exceedingly polite to Brown and Johnson in asking them to move to the sidewalk, and they responded by trying to kill him?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »

The "unstoppable rampaging Negro giant" is a pretty classic (if somewhat out-dated at this point) racist trope so it was nice of the murderer to throw that bit into his testimony as a shoutout to his fans.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2014, 04:04:33 PM »

Cops will always be able to use excessive force and kids will be able to shoot their classmates. Both with impunity. Two staples of American life as long as the sun rises and sets.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »

You...you're kidding, right? You find that bit of the story to be credible?

Do you also find it credible that Wilson was exceedingly polite to Brown and Johnson in asking them to move to the sidewalk, and they responded by trying to kill him?

If you're fighting someone you don't want to have cigars in your pocket, you might crush them accidentally.  That sort of makes sense, as it would if he asked his friend to hold a cup of coffee or a bouquet of flowers. 

As for the initial exchange, it doesn't seem impossible, given what went on later.  I'm sure the police officer embellished somewhat, but you have to keep in mind how these things get started.  Police are surly people by in large and Mr. Brown certainly seems like a violent person, having just robbed a store in broad daylight.

If you've never been in a fight you don't necessarily understand these things.  A young man who has just been in a physical altercation is going to have a temper.  Once someone has punched you or hit you, you can easily lose your temper.  I've experienced that a few times playing basketball, if someone cheap shots and knocks you down, you want to punch them in the face.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #248 on: November 25, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »

Ahhhhhhh this helps calm things down.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »

Cops will always be able to use excessive force and kids will be able to shoot their classmates. Both with impunity. Two staples of American life as long as the sun rises and sets.
What? In many places in (if not the entirety of) the US kids can get expelled for even bringing an airsoft gun within blocks of school. Yes, there are problems with youth gun violence in some areas but they do not exist because kids are allowed to "shoot their classmates with impunity."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies