Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:21:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18
Author Topic: Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)  (Read 48292 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: November 25, 2014, 04:18:18 PM »

Well, seems like this has once against completely broken down along party and/or ideological lines, furthering my assumption that at the heart of American conservatism is something very, very bad. 

Strange, because I remember that a lot of conservatives I know (including my parents) thought that Zimmerman was guilty.  I'm sure it's the same with this.  As soon as I heard the report I thought that Wilson shouldn't have shot the teenager.  And I'm very conservative.

You're the exception and not the rule then.  

Stay close minded if you wish, but there have been several blue avatars condemning the police on here ... Similarly, there have been several red avatars condemning the looters (as would be expected).

Yeah, some of our liberal posters are pretty awful like that.

Sorry, but as much as I disagree with the decision, it does not give angry protestors the right to steal and damage local small business owners' property, especially when so many people in the crowds were shown to be from other areas and those local small business owners did not ask for any of this.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #251 on: November 25, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »

And they have every right to strike fear into the heart of the pig with this justified outburst against the racist system that continues to **** them.
LOL...and you criticize other people for not supporting small businesses enough.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #252 on: November 25, 2014, 04:44:29 PM »

Well, seems like this has once against completely broken down along party and/or ideological lines, furthering my assumption that at the heart of American conservatism is something very, very bad. 

Strange, because I remember that a lot of conservatives I know (including my parents) thought that Zimmerman was guilty.  I'm sure it's the same with this.  As soon as I heard the report I thought that Wilson shouldn't have shot the teenager.  And I'm very conservative.

Stay close minded if you wish, but there have been several blue avatars condemning the police on here ... Similarly, there have been several red avatars condemning the looters (as would be expected).

Injustice and police brutality give protesters the right to destroy private property? ok...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #253 on: November 25, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »

Injustice and police brutality give protesters the right to destroy private property? ok...

TNF is more than a little nuts, politically speaking.  This is is nothing new.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #254 on: November 25, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »

You know, black-white relationships isn't the reason why he wasn't indicted.

In Quebec, we had various issues of policemen shooting on people without reason or speeding without reason, crashing into cars and killing people. Guess what? No indictments, even if both the policeman and the victim were very white. Police and prosecutors cover each other. Thankfully, Quebec gets a reform of that next year (well, the reform is done, but there is normal delays, you can't create a new structure the day the bill passes).

Yes, they were. You don't understand how the criminal justice system works in the United States.

What he describes as the situation in Quebec is actually the exact situation in the US. The racial aspect only strengthens it.

lolwhat? Did you watch Fox News for at least 10 seconds during Zimmerman's trial?

The fact that you think Fox News accurately describes the opinion of every conservative in America explains so much.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #255 on: November 25, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »

If you're going to riot and burn things, why would you do it to your own town?

It's not their own town. They don't actually own it. They don't own homes, they don't know businesses, many of them have to take public transportation. They don't pay property taxes. Ferguson, MO is just a place they happen to be stuck living in, not their own community.

That's why it's not that hard to imagine why people there would be so comfortable in destroying it.

They are destroying rented homes, rented businesses, and rioting on rented streets. No liability to them.

Its more than that...they still shop at these places, live around those streets, etc.

The same people destroying the walmart tonight are going to be mad that its not open for 2 weeks after this.

It's not really more than that. If anything, they are creating economic prosperity for themselves. Wal-Mart will now have to further increase holiday staffing to clean up the mess. Nobody has any reason to care about the cost of the damage.

Until they are given real stable opportunity to own businesses and homes of their own, nobody will ever care about the cost of the damage.

But will Wal-Mart keep open the shop up again, Ferguson have seen a large demographic change from 2000 to 2010, it has become blacker and poorer (and I doubt we see that will turn around with what Ferguson now is famous for), there is a major risk than many of these shops, will just close down and their owners open new ones other places.

The Wal-Marts and Little Caesars and AutoZones can afford to open up shop again and hedge the risk. It's the small businesses - including and especially the black businesses - that will not be able to recover.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #256 on: November 25, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »

And they have every right to strike fear into the heart of the pig with this justified outburst against the racist system that continues to **** them.
LOL...and you criticize other people for not supporting small businesses enough.

Certainly there are extenuating circumstances that call for outrage from the community, L-NY.  I don't wish for small businesses to be harmed, it'd be great for this to be dircted at Wal-Mart, but what's it all matter if the police are still murdering unabated?  Besides, they aren't purposely going after small businesses... This is just the consequence of grave injustice.  If the white cops could put aside their racism this is all avoided.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #257 on: November 25, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »

Certainly there are extenuating circumstances that call for outrage from the community, L-NY.  I don't wish for small businesses to be harmed, it'd be great for this to be dircted at Wal-Mart, but what's it all matter if the police are still murdering unabated?  Besides, they aren't purposely going after small businesses... This is just the consequence of grave injustice.  If the white cops could put aside their racism this is all avoided.

This could all be avoided if the 'protestors' recognised that they aren't entitled to go smashing up shops because they disagree with a judicial ruling. Their refusal to recognise this judicial ruling (and more generally the rule of law) is at fault here, not the judicial ruling itself.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #258 on: November 25, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »

If you're going to riot and burn things, why would you do it to your own town?

It's not their own town. They don't actually own it. They don't own homes, they don't know businesses, many of them have to take public transportation. They don't pay property taxes. Ferguson, MO is just a place they happen to be stuck living in, not their own community.

That's why it's not that hard to imagine why people there would be so comfortable in destroying it.

They are destroying rented homes, rented businesses, and rioting on rented streets. No liability to them.

Its more than that...they still shop at these places, live around those streets, etc.

The same people destroying the walmart tonight are going to be mad that its not open for 2 weeks after this.

It's not really more than that. If anything, they are creating economic prosperity for themselves. Wal-Mart will now have to further increase holiday staffing to clean up the mess. Nobody has any reason to care about the cost of the damage.

Until they are given real stable opportunity to own businesses and homes of their own, nobody will ever care about the cost of the damage.

But will Wal-Mart keep open the shop up again, Ferguson have seen a large demographic change from 2000 to 2010, it has become blacker and poorer (and I doubt we see that will turn around with what Ferguson now is famous for), there is a major risk than many of these shops, will just close down and their owners open new ones other places.

The Wal-Marts and Little Caesars and AutoZones can afford to open up shop again and hedge the risk. It's the small businesses - including and especially the black businesses - that will not be able to recover.

Wal-Mart is the #1 destroyer of small businesses. The rioters are just accelerating the process of creative destruction.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #259 on: November 25, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »

The folks rioting and looting in Ferguson have done their very best to validate every negative stereotype there is about African Americans.

The "leadership" of the African American community needs to step up and actually lead in a positive way.

To quote Martin Luther King

In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »

The folks rioting and looting in Ferguson have done their very best to validate every negative stereotype there is about African Americans.

Yeah I don't think anyone there gives a sh1t that racists are feeling that their racist views are being validated.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »

The "leadership" of the African American community needs to step up and actually lead in a positive way.

In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #262 on: November 25, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »

There are protests in more than 100 cities today according to the Ferguson National Response Network.  The lying, racist thug needs to end up in jail.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #263 on: November 25, 2014, 06:10:36 PM »

Yeah I don't think anyone there gives a sh1t that racists are feeling that their racist views are being validated.

So you support the looting?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2014, 06:16:43 PM »

There are protests in more than 100 cities today according to the Ferguson National Response Network.  The lying, racist thug needs to end up in jail.

The acquittal is definitive. We need to live that. We have other problems that need to be addressed, including severe inequality of opportunity.   
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #265 on: November 25, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »

I don't understood how exactly they're supposed to do this. Besides discouraging violence - which, for all intents and purposes, every single "leader" of the African-American community has emphatically and repeatedly done - what is there to do? Physically put a stop to rioting and looting themselves?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #266 on: November 25, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »

Concern troll is concerned.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #267 on: November 25, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 07:06:38 PM by useful idiot »

Yeah the world isn't as black and white (no pun intended) as you want it to be. There is something of a point under his badly worded sentence. What the rioters are doing is enforcing the notion that these areas are lawless and that cops need to be especially vigilant while there. Thus, the public is willing to give cops more leeway in how they conduct themselves in black neighborhoods. If it doesn't make sense to you that this is what a lot of people, who are far from being skinheads or klansmen, are taking away from this episode, then you're clearly not thinking rationally about the situation.

It doesn't help when you excuse behavior that by and large has been condemned by the "black community." The rioters don't represent most black Americans or most of the protesters who are/were in Ferguson.

The rioters don't care what the the leaders of the black community, who have condemned this stuff, have to say. They just want to riot....
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #268 on: November 25, 2014, 07:24:57 PM »

Can we talk about the what happens when you have systemic generational poverty or what happens when there is easy access to guns, or the mental toll and implication on officers who see absolutely nothing but the worst of society on a daily basis?  Nah, we never seem eager to try to get to the root cause of our issues in this country. We are forever creating strawmen and fittingly dehumanizing ones.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #269 on: November 25, 2014, 07:26:40 PM »

Yeah the world isn't as black and white (no pun intended) as you want it to be. There is something of a point under his badly worded sentence. What the rioters are doing is enforcing the notion that these areas are lawless and that cops need to be especially vigilant while there. Thus, the public is willing to give cops more leeway in how they conduct themselves in black neighborhoods. If it doesn't make sense to you that this is what a lot of people, who are far from being skinheads or klansmen, are taking away from this episode, then you're clearly not thinking rationally about the situation.

It doesn't help when you excuse behavior that by and large has been condemned by the "black community." The rioters don't represent most black Americans or most of the protesters who are/were in Ferguson.

The rioters don't care what the the leaders of the black community, who have condemned this stuff, have to say. They just want to riot....

GREAT POST
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »

Hope things aren't as bad tonight. It's apparently pretty cold out over there
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »

Shut up, Naso.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »

You know why you guys get so angry at me? Because deep down I speak truths...and my side keeps winning over yours.

If you are talking about sides, we all are already losing. This is an American issue, one older than our Republic.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #273 on: November 25, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »

You know why you guys get so angry at me? Because deep down I speak truths...and my side keeps winning over yours.

Pretty sure people get angry at you because you're an obtuse, ignorant racist. But keep thinking what you want to think. It's certainly a pattern you're already quite familiar with.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #274 on: November 25, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »

No, we get tired of you because your side somehow keeps winning even though you're spewing morally bankrupt bullsh**t.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies