Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:59:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)  (Read 48298 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: November 25, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »

You know why you guys get so angry at me? Because deep down I speak truths...and my side keeps winning over yours.

Pretty sure people get angry at you because you're an obtuse, ignorant racist. But keep thinking what you want to think. It's certainly a pattern you're already quite familiar with.

Not a racist at all. I've been out with African American girls. The first person I voted for was an African American. I resent being called a racist.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #276 on: November 25, 2014, 08:02:38 PM »

Oops BRB "The Factor begins right now!"

Cheesy
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #277 on: November 25, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »

@Reagan: Really? You're using the "well I have friends that are black" excuse? Really?

If you use that excuse, then yeah, you kinda are racist.

To be fair, who isn't? We're all prejudiced people. But the difference between an anti-racist and a racist is the one who fights those impulses all the time in the pursuit of fairness and actual merit, and one who doesn't for whatever reasons.

And simply trying to say "Well I have friends that are black" as an end all is giving up the fight and in fact very ignorant.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #278 on: November 25, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »

@Reagan: Really? You're using the "well I have friends that are black" excuse? Really?

If you use that excuse, then yeah, you kinda are racist.

To be fair, who isn't? We're all prejudiced people. But the difference between an anti-racist and a racist is the one who fights those impulses all the time in the pursuit of fairness and actual merit, and one who doesn't for whatever reasons.

And simply trying to say "Well I have friends that are black" as an end all is giving up the fight and in fact very ignorant.

So basically using your logic, I could have a black wife and interracially mixed children and because I vote for conservative Republicans I'd be a racist?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #279 on: November 25, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »

Well at least we gave Naso's side a good whupping in the Civil War.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #280 on: November 25, 2014, 08:43:26 PM »

Would you say we spanked 'em?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #281 on: November 25, 2014, 08:45:29 PM »

The way you liberals act is like a child not getting their way.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #282 on: November 25, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »

Because everyone in the CSA was a political conservative and everyone in the North was a political liberal.  God, I swear you guys are all like 19 and have only taken a basic high school American history class when it comes to the Civil War.  You all sound really ignorant equating the Union with liberalism, it's the most laughably hackish thing I see here.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #283 on: November 25, 2014, 08:56:58 PM »

Because everyone in the CSA was a political conservative and everyone in the North was a political liberal.  God, I swear you guys are all like 19 and have only taken a basic high school American history class when it comes to the Civil War.  You all sound really ignorant equating the Union with liberalism, it's the most laughably hackish thing I see here.

Bernie Goldberg just made a great point that the media and liberals are falsely trying to make this an issue about Civil Rights. It's not. As he just said on Fox News, "Ferguson is not Selma, it's 2014 and not 1965, and Michael Brown is not Emmett Till."

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #284 on: November 25, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »

The Union in the Civil War was arguably the most radical and progressive force in the entirety of American history, certainly the most radical and progressive government force. To ignore that basic truth of the war is ridiculous.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #285 on: November 25, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »

This thread is proving the flypaper theory correct.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #286 on: November 25, 2014, 09:13:12 PM »

There is something of a point under his badly worded sentence. What the rioters are doing is enforcing the notion that these areas are lawless and that cops need to be especially vigilant while there. Thus, the public is willing to give cops more leeway in how they conduct themselves in black neighborhoods.

Yes, thanks for trying to make a point I made badly.

A jury looks at the totality of the situation and asks if the defendant behavior was that of a "reasonable person"

When you look at the riots and looting in Ferguson, its pretty easy for a jury to think a police officer in the African American areas is entirely "reasonable" to be on a very, very high state of alert and legitimately concerned for their own personal safety.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »

It is strange that some feel the need to stand up for the violent cigar thief over America's finest.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2014, 09:39:22 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 10:59:00 PM by Clarko95 »

http://theurbandaily.com/2014/11/25/bar-association-grand-jury-decision/

American Bar Association National Bar Association responds with "WTF?" to the decision to acquit considering the evidence presented, and asks that federal charges be filed.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »

Oh, great, krazen's take, just what this thread needed.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #290 on: November 25, 2014, 09:43:46 PM »

Since quoting MLK is suddenly the thing to do, I thought I'd post this here.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #291 on: November 25, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »

The Union in the Civil War was arguably the most radical and progressive force in the entirety of American history, certainly the most radical and progressive government force. To ignore that basic truth of the war is ridiculous.

Indeed. It's amazing how people forget just how radically leftist (economically and by American standards, anyway) the Republican Party was from 1860 until about 1875, when the big business forces finally managed to quell its impulses.

In addition to that, yes: the North certainly was a socially liberal region by the day's standards, and the South was socially regressive. This broader theme has more or less been intact since the founding of our country.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »

The GOP of the 1850s to 1870s was really the only time a major American political party can, without any hesitation or hedging, be described as a party that fought for freedom.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2014, 09:56:26 PM »

I just watched Wilson's interview and boy do I hope that dude gets his comeuppance someday. I've never seen someone act like a prick whilst also acting like a victim. Unbelievable.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »

I just watched Wilson's interview and boy do I hope that dude gets his comeuppance someday. I've never seen someone act like a prick whilst also acting like a victim. Unbelievable.

In a just world, Anonymous would release every detail about where he's living online and let the chips fall where they may.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »

The GOP of the 1850s to 1870s was really the only time a major American political party can, without any hesitation or hedging, be described as a party that fought for freedom.

Quote for Truth. Imagine what America would be like today if Andy Johnson didn't exist to block Reconstruction. I certainly doubt we'd be seeing scenes like today...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2014, 10:52:56 PM »

http://theurbandaily.com/2014/11/25/bar-association-grand-jury-decision/

American Bar Association responds with "WTF?" to the decision to acquit considering the evidence presented, and asks that federal charges be filed.

That's actually the National Bar Association, an association of black lawyers.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #297 on: November 25, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »

Haven't heard anything about rioting yet tonight. There just seems to be a whole bunch of peaceful protests. Perhaps the worst is over.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #298 on: November 25, 2014, 10:59:40 PM »

Haven't heard anything about rioting yet tonight. There just seems to be a whole bunch of peaceful protests. Perhaps the worst is over.

Well we had this: http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/283891941.html
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #299 on: November 25, 2014, 11:08:43 PM »

Didn't post here last night because of schoolwork but...wow. I know it's been said a billion times, but this thread is f*cking terrible.

And of course, the verdict, while terrible, wasn't surprising in the least. There is no victory in things like this.

I'd try to rebut Naso, but given that I'm a very left-wing atheist living in a very right-wing state, he's obviously not going to care about what I say. I'm not part of "real America".

Anyway, back to the case, this is firm evidence that "respect for the law and authority" is bullsh**t. I do what I beleive is the right thing to do, not what some goddamn law tells me.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies